Fix Alterac Valley; NPCs too weak

Battlegrounds
Prev 1 2 3 4 19 Next
10/11/2012 11:03 PMPosted by Shiá
Tried to get a good defense game going today with the intention of at least seeing Seasoned Units. The outcome?

That's pretty impossible to do now.
Fun, right?
Right?!

:(
AV is too short!
10/15/2012 05:59 AMPosted by Bynir
AV is too short!

Absolutely too short! Why can't we have one longer battleground? ONE. Not even two. All we ask is for ONE BG that isn't a ten second honor grind to satisfy the ADHD generation.

Give us old farts something.
10/21/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Anastasios
Blizzard very likely won't ever improve Alterac.

From what we got on the Beta forums, they're almost scared to even touch it outside of nerfing it to hell.
I don't know why they don't just make Drek and Van like the bosses in IoC.

From what we got on the Beta forums, they're almost scared to even touch it outside of nerfing it to hell.

what kind of logic is that? I read that response, so they were able to create a great BG over 8 years ago, with older tech. But they cannot do it now?

I wish they could revamp a zone (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, GILNEAS!!!) into a major PvP zone. With phasing, this can easily be done. Let's say it can lean one way or the other with phasing evident. It won't ever lean 100% in one direction (because, yeah, Cho'Gall), but it can go significantly one way or the other. Kind of like really old AV, where things could lean one way or the other and go on forever.

With AV, the compromise can be as easy as removing the reinforcement count. It isn't needed anymore, because there are no more AV marks. This can make for a defense when all else fails and make a hopeless situation (as in "LAWLS, it's 500-50, we lose scrubbies") into something where it's possible to at least do something.
Thumbs Up!

I liked what I read there for sure. Did we mention ditching the Reinforcements?
I love old AV, and I love these ideas. Yet if the new PvP zone lives up to the expectations I have for it I would consider it a suitable replacement for AV. Orignally AV was actually designed as an outdoor zone, but they just couldn't make that work technically. I feel like the Krassang Wilds can be a good successor of AV, and hopefully AV can be at least semi-restored with time.
What I'd like to see is have the turn in for armor scraps removed, and have the npcs buffed according to X opposing players killed.

Ground Assault should spawn at the loss of any objective.
Cavalry Assault should spawn at the loss of any three objectives.
Aerial Assault should spawn at the loss of any four objectives, or the loss of a captain.
Lokholar / Ivus should spawn at the loss of any five objectives.

All of the npcs should have their stats buffed, currently they are way to easy to kill and/or ignore.
Aerial Assault should spawn at the loss of any four objectives, or the loss of a captain.

All of the npcs should have their stats buffed, currently they are way to easy to kill and/or ignore.

I like the idea of auto spawning but Lok + Ivus spawning at the loss of 5 objectives (all 4 towers + captain) leaves 100 reinforcements assuming no PvP has happened or people haven't died somehow. That wouldn't leave much time for anything :(

I like the idea of auto spawning but Lok + Ivus spawning at the loss of 5 objectives (all 4 towers + captain) leaves 100 reinforcements assuming no PvP has happened or people haven't died somehow. That wouldn't leave much time for anything :(

This is unfortunately correct given the current state of AV. The moment all 4 towers go, there is pretty much no point because of the reinforcement count.
BLIZZARD how many people do we need to agree to doing this to get you to do it!!!!!!!!!
10/25/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Cybrok
BLIZZARD how many people do we need to agree to doing this to get you to do it!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, 100% need to agree that AV is royally screwed up until action is done.
Old AV was way better. But GCs post has why it was eliminated - too complex, too up way too much server space to run, etc etc. Basically at any time, there was 1/4 the playerbase in AV.

It sure would be cool if it was remade to be that epic. Why make a little version? we already have a bunch of little ones, and IOC which is a vehicle scrubfest that no one likes. AV is the flagship BG and for several years was the most amazing thing the game had to offer to most players. More please.

Complexity I can understand. AV was truly a zone unto itself. So yes, the Trolls and Goblin Shredders and the nuances I can handle going away. What I can't handle is that AV is nothing more than a PvE race with no PvP. That's the problem.

Lowering reinforcements yet again isn't going to solve the significant problem of AV.
I'm someone who has AV downranked in its current format. I never got to play in the old old days when it was an epic 7 hour affair, but to be honest that isn't very appealing to me either. I really don't like that AV is a big PvE race and that PvP doesn't happen much, if at all.

I love the suggestion of improving bosses so they're more challenging. It forces players to work together to make progress and "squishy" bosses are a disincentive to trying to defend them. It's extremely important to make sure stormpike and drek are sufficiently beefy so there is incentive to destroy towers (and backcap), since that's where most of the pvp actually happens in AV.

I also love the idea of the trinket upgrade, either having a version tuned for level 90's, or having a tabard that can port you back. I think the ability to fall back quickly to defend your leader is something sorely missing in this battleground and would make a huge difference in creating more PvP combat in this battleground. Heck, I'd be happy if there was a button on the screen that would do the same thing without the need to equip anything, so that there is no excuse for not using it.

I can also see the possibility of two versions of AV... one the battleground version players can queue for if they want to pop in for the honor grind (or for rated bgs), and a version that is set up like wintergrasp that players can physically go to for epic long battles.