Fix Alterac Valley; NPCs too weak

Battlegrounds
Prev 1 3 4 5 19 Next
The current version of AV is garbage, and it is really depressing knowing what it used to be like.

With all the changes they have made it no longer even resembles the type of BG it was meant to be. They should be focusing on changes that take it back the way it was meant to be and stop trying to make it a fast honor grind.

Make it so that the generals Can not be attacked if the Towers/Bunkers are still up. Lock the gates of their compounds and put the commanders in front of the gates. When all 4 towers/bunkers are burned and the commanders defeated then and only then dose the gate open.

Rework the turn in quests. Make them require less turn ins to activate and buff the units so that they are a significant impact on the field. Get the summons into action faster

Increase the number of reinforcements each side gets or increase the benefits of the mines
You don't need to make the generals unattackable (it's a suggestion that comes up a lot). Each NPC just needs to be of decent difficulty.

At the beginning of the expansion, players should NOT be able to solo the captains and the generals should be impossible to kill without all towers down. As it is, the mobs are as laughable in difficulty as they were at the end of Cataclysm and the bosses are regularly downed with 2 towers still alive BEFORE THE BEST GEAR IS EVEN AVAILABLE. Not hopeful. Not fun.
You don't need to make the generals unattackable (it's a suggestion that comes up a lot). Each NPC just needs to be of decent difficulty.

At the beginning of the expansion, players should NOT be able to solo the captains and the generals should be impossible to kill without all towers down. As it is, the mobs are as laughable in difficulty as they were at the end of Cataclysm and the bosses are regularly downed with 2 towers still alive BEFORE THE BEST GEAR IS EVEN AVAILABLE. Not hopeful. Not fun.

Perhaps the line of reasoning is that the players themselves should be the major obstacle in these matchs. I present that merely as speculation, and am aware that even if it were true, it's obviously fallen far away from that point in practice.
Why am not surprised to see this coming mostly from Alliance players who happen to have WAY more NPC's around their GY and Stormpike...
10/27/2012 03:38 AMPosted by Ninfoe
Why am not surprised to see this coming mostly from Alliance players who happen to have WAY more NPC's around their GY and Stormpike...

Not about that at all. The 'Alliance favouritism' is just one of those things that has been repeated so many times that it's believed. The game favours an offensive Alliance strategy and a defensive Horde one. If the Horde defend, 90% of the time they'll win.
10/27/2012 03:38 AMPosted by Ninfoe

I've won AV many times on Horde by calling for the Turtle. Nobody tends to believe the Turtle wins until...the Turtle actually wins. It also makes for PvP.

Now AV is nothing more than a PvE race, and if Alliance are complaining that it's a PvE race, then what the hell are the Horde complaining about?
10/27/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Whyvette
Now AV is nothing more than a PvE race, and if Alliance are complaining that it's a PvE race, then what the hell are the Horde complaining about?

That is a great retort, I like it :D
I dont understand why they cant just bring old AV back but with reinforcements. A battle will last an hour at most with current 500 reinforcements setup.
I dont understand why they cant just bring old AV back but with reinforcements. A battle will last an hour at most with current 500 reinforcements setup.

Agreed. I mean really, they could even make them last a few hours. Old AV's are some of my fondest memories of vanilla wow, Please Bring it Back!
10/27/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Idunhavaname

The reinforcement count is the primary problem and it was introduced because you needed AV Marks to buy crap. The marks are gone now, replaced by Honor Points. There is no point to the reinforcement count now and it should be scrapped.
For the trinket, I have an idea: When you have a required level (Say, 80 or 85.), you can go see the guy who gives it to you and for an amount of gold/honor he can make it so you don't need to equip it to port to Dun Baldar. It's no longer going to be a trinket and the frost resistance would be removed.

That, or they could have him update it with better stats.
-Also, they could increase the reinforcements amount by a good amount (Not necessarally days), increase the game time and bring back the commander/lieutenant mobs and the associated quests.

-I agree with removing the hides part of the mount quests, along with Alterac Blitz. The hides are hard to farm with the loot system in place, and Alterac Blitz doesn't help AV at all.

I never played old AV, but after looking up some things about it, it seems like it'd be more fun than what there is today.
10/27/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Idunhavaname

Yes. We don't need (or particularly want) it to last for days, but something to waste an hour or two away in is something that's really lacking with PvP right now, particularly on a large scale. AV can fit that bill easily (you just need strong mobs, an increase to reinforcements (or removal with the introduction of a timer) and perhaps some quest tweaks (though if the games last longer, the amount needed isn't a problem)).
The bosses in the levelling bracket seem to last longer than the bosses in the high level bracket. They have about 16 million health in that bracket; only 3 million more in the max bracket. It should really be double :x
Hey Bynir, was looking for you to re-post this since beta is read only now. I still fully support your great thread.
11/02/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Fawnix
Hey Bynir, was looking for you to re-post this since beta is read only now. I still fully support your great thread.

Nice to see you again Fawnix! I think the GD forum moves at too fast a pace for us to get a lot of feedback here :x
Like it.
The best AV I ever had was in the 54-60 bracket, just after TBC was out. The game lasted about 45 minutes, and it was wonderful. I was playing as the Allies at the time...

The game started, and everyone started hauling down the field to cap towers, gys, etc., as we all know. But the Hordies started back capping our objectives, and before we knew it, the Horde was turtle-pushing us back into our base, with over 2/3 of the map marked in red, and started a stalemate at the bridge.

Someone got the idea to break the ice by summoning the druids. So we fought tooth and nail to get the items we needed for the summoning, got the druids up, and broke the turtle gloriously... Ive never seen Hordies scatter so fast in AV.

Sadly, the druids didnt quite make it to the midfield, and the game resumed normally. Im pretty sure we won that one, but its been so long, I dont recall.
AV should got back to the Vanilla way! Victory by killing the General!
bump, support