Worgen Lore Questions!

Moon Guard
I'm sure some of these have been answered, but just putting Worgen in search got me so many things and most of which had none of the information I wanted so I figured I could start again. I already checked stickies and didn't have much luck finding specifically what I wanted so...

Hopefully some forum folks can give me some insight.

1. What are some viable other options for a Worgen's background OTHER than the 'cookie cutter' one that the game does for you? I know, I know, it's a little taboo, but I highly doubt EVERY human was born in Goldshire and EVERY Night Elf was a 'young one' from Teldrassil, etc. etc. I had some ideas I wanted to do with Winter that don't really seem to go with 'I was just a nice Gilnean fellow who got bit, then I went Worgen, and at some point they caught me, I was given a potion and now I'm normal but fluffy sometimes, also a Harvest Witch(since he's a Druid)'.

I know that the Death Knights are supposed to be Shadowfang Keep Worgen correct? I also know there are some Worgen in Silverpine, Duskwood, and Northrend. What information is there about those groups?

2. How does Worgen transformation work? I know in the starter zone, you drink from the magical fountains/pools/whatever and then you can shift. What about Worgen like the Death Knights and the Bloodfang in Silverpine?

3. I know the typical Gilnean Worgen has their 'sanity' back from a mixture of Alchemy and the magical the Kaldorei did. What about the others though? The Bloodfang in Silverpine are 'Ferals', I think they call them, but they talk, argue with Crowley and seem sentient, however it doesn't seem like they take the potions or had the same magic done to them. How does it work?

4. The original Worgens were Night Elves correct? The 'Druids of the Pack'? Are any of them still around, or have they all been killed off?

I'm sure I'll think of some more, but this should do for a start! Any help is appreciated!
1. What are some viable other options for a Worgen's background OTHER than the 'cookie cutter' one that the game does for you? I know, I know, it's a little taboo, but I highly doubt EVERY human was born in Goldshire and EVERY Night Elf was a 'young one' from Teldrassil, etc. etc. I had some ideas I wanted to do with Winter that don't really seem to go with 'I was just a nice Gilnean fellow who got bit, then I went Worgen, and at some point they caught me, I was given a potion and now I'm normal but fluffy sometimes, also a Harvest Witch(since he's a Druid)'.

I know that the Death Knights are supposed to be Shadowfang Keep Worgen correct? I also know there are some Worgen in Silverpine, Duskwood, and Northrend. What information is there about those groups?

It's perfectly viable to make a Worgen that was not from Gilneas. Generally, they can be -any- human, but remember that Worgen only dwell in certain places. So your best ets for a non-gilnean worgen would be Silverpine, Duskwood, or if you are up for a challenge, the Grizzly Hills. If you want more info on those places, I can link you to my guide to roleplaying a Worgen, which has a synopsis of the lore regarding Worgen in each of those places.

You're completely correct on Shadowfang Keep, and I'd be more than willing to answer any further questions you have regarding it.

2. How does Worgen transformation work? I know in the starter zone, you drink from the magical fountains/pools/whatever and then you can shift. What about Worgen like the Death Knights and the Bloodfang in Silverpine?

Generally, there are three things that we've seen in lore used to 'treat' the Worgen curse.

-The salve/serum.
-The ritual of Tal'doren.
-Druidic magics other than Tal'doren.

Worgen Death Knights however, are able to control the Worgen curse because necromatic magics of the Lich King essentially quelled the rage of Goldrinn. The Bloodfang are implied to be a 'pack' of Worgen that regained their sanity. Whether they're entirely composed of Gilneans/humans we don't know, but they are an option to explore.

3. I know the typical Gilnean Worgen has their 'sanity' back from a mixture of Alchemy and the magical the Kaldorei did. What about the others though? The Bloodfang in Silverpine are 'Ferals', I think they call them, but they talk, argue with Crowley and seem sentient, however it doesn't seem like they take the potions or had the same magic done to them. How does it work?

We don't have much lore on this, but we do know that they are not necessarily Gilnean Worgen. There were large amounts of Worgen that attacked Gilneas and were not merely bitten Gilneans, but directly summoned from the Emerald Dream. To answer your last question, these would be the elvish Worgen, and there's the possibility that they were saved.

If you want a link to my Worgen roleplaying guide, say so, and I'll link you to it. It ought to provide more in-depth answers and information then what I've given.

Additionally, if you have any more questions, ask them, and I'll work my best to answer.
A link would be wonderful! Thank you!
Seeing as it only takes a little blood or a vicious fight to catch the curse, I think -any- human works.

Also, night elf worgen are an option still, right? I've seen a few pull it off really well.
09/28/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Winterclaw
A link would be wonderful! Thank you!

http://us.battle.net:80/wow/en/forum/topic/4015342601

I also have a Gilneas Lore Compendium, as well as more free-style, non lore-based Gilnean writing if you want some inspiration.

Seeing as it only takes a little blood or a vicious fight to catch the curse, I think -any- human works.

Also, night elf worgen are an option still, right? I've seen a few pull it off really well.

Remember that in certain zones it'd be more difficult to get the salve in time, though. If a human was bitten in say, Arathor, there probably won't be much of the salve/serum around to help 'em out.

Also yes, night elf worgen are an option, but I wouldn't advise someone newer to Worgen lore to try roleplaying them, primarily due to the difficulty of execution.
Oh! I have another question...

Can you tell me about the other groups/location of Worgens?

The ones I can think of are the Bloodfang of Silverpine, the Grizzly Hills Worgen, and the Shadowfang Keep Worgen.

Are there any others?
Oh! I have another question...

Can you tell me about the other groups/location of Worgens?

The ones I can think of are the Bloodfang of Silverpine, the Grizzly Hills Worgen, and the Shadowfang Keep Worgen.

Are there any others?

There are the Worgen of Duskwood, the Worgen that dwelled in Felwood for a brief while as Velinde summoned them (The remaining Worgen, now alliance-allied, might very well be the remnants of them that were given the salve.)

It's also important to note that all Worgen ultimately came from night elves.
09/28/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Shugan
I think -any- human works.

Why stop at human?

Why not any humanoid?
Hmm, interesting. Do we have any particular lore on these groups? As in how they act, were created, etc.?

Also, is is viable for a Worgen to NOT be able to shift back to a 'human' form and still be able to talk, function in society, etc.?

The basic idea I had was for a rather 'Feral' Worgen who doesn't really remember being 'not a Worgen' much and thus doesn't really shift back to a human (or Night Elf) form. I was considering saying it was something of a mental block, due to a trauma during his original transformation, but I'm not sure how viable that is. He would be aware he wasn't born Worgen (no one is, if I understand it right), but he simply can't remember being anything else and refuses to even try due to some mental anguish.
09/28/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Strumheart
I think -any- human works.

Why stop at human?

Why not any humanoid?

No.

Hmm, interesting. Do we have any particular lore on these groups? As in how they act, were created, etc.?

Also, is is viable for a Worgen to NOT be able to shift back to a 'human' form and still be able to talk, function in society, etc.?

The basic idea I had was for a rather 'Feral' Worgen who doesn't really remember being 'not a Worgen' much and thus doesn't really shift back to a human (or Night Elf) form. I was considering saying it was something of a mental block, due to a trauma during his original transformation, but I'm not sure how viable that is. He would be aware he wasn't born Worgen (no one is, if I understand it right), but he simply can't remember being anything else and refuses to even try due to some mental anguish.

My guide is filled with lore on the groups except the bloodfang, which we really don't know anything about except that they have a pack sort of mentality and are led by Ivar Bloodfang.

As for your other questions, it is viable. Just have them don't go through Tal'doren, because Tal'doren is what will allow them to use both forms.
I was thinking of having Winterclaw be specifically from Grizzly Hills, so he might not even be aware of Tal'doren.

Another quick question....

Can a bite from a Worgen still turn others into Worgens? I wasn't even aware that was how it worked until I did the starter zone, I'm embarrassed to say.
09/28/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Winterclaw
I was thinking of having Winterclaw be specifically from Grizzly Hills, so he might not even be aware of Tal'doren.

That'd be hard to pull off. Especially with him being a druid as well. You could try it of course, but you have to remember those in the Grizzly Hills for the most part willingly accepted the curse. Perhaps you could roleplay a dissenter, whom the curse was forced upon.

The 'Curse' that they have is a bit different then the normal worgen curse, in that they largely keep their sanity and aren't feral beasts 24/7, but nonetheless tend to have a bit of a violent streak.
Given the general idea I had for him, I was thinking he was less a 'Druid Druid' and possibly closer to a 'Savagekin'.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Savagekin
I've always been entertained by the concept of a hedge mage contracting the curse and thinking it's some blessing from his god. But I guess that might be a little too D&D for Warcraft.
Given the general idea I had for him, I was thinking he was less a 'Druid Druid' and possibly closer to a 'Savagekin'.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Savagekin

Given how intertwined that is with shapeshifting and ancient reverence, I think that definitely would require elvish teachings. And I also think it'd be pretty difficult for a druid new to elvish druidism to learn shapeshifting excessively quickly. I'd recommend limiting yourself to a single form.

I've always been entertained by the concept of a hedge mage contracting the curse and thinking it's some blessing from his god. But I guess that might be a little too D&D for Warcraft.

I'm personally of the belief that most Gilnean druids wouldn't immediately think the curse is some manner of a blessing. For one their druidism is far more primitive then that of the elves. It's extremely unlikely they worship ancients, and the Worgen curse has largely been the bane of Gilneas. Some will of course eventually realize the druidic potential that the curse has, but I doubt many would be crazy about it at first. :P
RP wise, he probably uses his Worgen form and his 'bear' form at best. I don't really picture his bear form being overly 'bearish' and more just larger and thicker to absorb attacks better.
09/28/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Ferenold
I'm personally of the belief that most Gilnean druids wouldn't immediately think the curse is some manner of a blessing. For one their druidism is far more primitive then that of the elves. It's extremely unlikely they worship ancients, and the Worgen curse has largely been the bane of Gilneas. Some will of course eventually realize the druidic potential that the curse has, but I doubt many would be crazy about it at first. :P

Haha, of course!
09/28/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Winterclaw
RP wise, he probably uses his Worgen form and his 'bear' form at best. I don't really picture his bear form being overly 'bearish' and more just larger and thicker to absorb attacks better.

Yeah, you could definitely go with that. If you really want to play him as a savagekin though, he'd likely big on Goldrinn worship. You might want to look into the quests in Hyjal for more information on that sort of thing. ;D

09/28/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Vhelrillon

Haha, of course!

It is a nifty concept, though. I'd imagine some more cult-ish sorta people would embrace it. Then again, that's pretty much confirmed, as there is the wolfcult and all. Never seen someone RP as a member of the Gilnean wolfcult, though.
09/28/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Ferenold
No.

Well pandaren and tauren are immune of course, seeing as you can't contract the furry if you already have it.
09/28/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Strumheart
No.

Well pandaren and tauren are immune of course, seeing as you can't contract the furry if you already have it.

Gnomes are also likely immune due to the quest in Desolace. I suppose it's possible a dwarf could become a Worgen, though.