Need Help on Monk Lore

Wyrmrest Accord
Hello again WC. I need help for my up and coming Monk that I plan to role play with. Her story line would be that she was taken from Navarion a long time ago when she was a child by an orc raid, but was rescued by a humans and raised. What I need help with is explaining or ideas on how she became a monk.
Well there one question that need to be answered first.

I'm guessing she's a night elf, so... are you happy with the idea that she will still be a child? We're still at that point where not many years have passed between the events of WC3 and the events of MoP. If so, then that's fine, no issues, if you want a more adult character, then you'll need to rework your story. My advice if that's the case, use an evil race such as the centaur or the trolls, then have her -found- by the goblins of Gagetzan as her pre-history.

Now as for her being a monk, the only way she would be a monk for any significant amount of time is if she was found by the Panderan early on. This is possible in two ways. The first way is that she was found by a wandering Panderan who was exploring the world in a way similar to what Chen Stormstout was doing back in the events of WC3. The other option is that she found her way to Pandaria long before the Alliance and Horde. This is also possible because the mists only shroud the island from anyone outside, it doesn't stop ships from entering the mists though. A ship blown off course could have crashed on the shores of Pandaria, and she could have survived to encounter the Panderan if that's how you would prefer to work the story.

Otherwise the only way your character would be a monk ICly for the moment is if she just started training along with everyone else after the Panderan joined the Alliance.
Thanks for the advice Aegran! I'll be sure to keep it in mind. I'm just afraid of her washing up on the shores of Pandaria / being found by a wandering Pandaren will seem somewhat lore breaking.
The mists endlessly turn around anyone who comes near them. The mists were only broken by the massive amount of destruction that the Cataclysm caused.

I also think Chen is one of the extreme few Pandaren who made it off the turtle quite some time. Considering that, I don't think it's really to feasible for one of those folks to stop adventuring long enough to not only pick up a ton of responsibility (a child) but then also teach it the extremely difficult art of Spiritual Martial Arts.

I think it'd be easier to have them start to pick it up with everyone else and I would think the first step to becoming a monk is figuring out Chi energy, which would likely start with basic strength and endurance training and a ton of meditation.

Hope that helps!
Actually monk characters have been in WoW for a while without being an actual class, such as the Scarlet Monks, and the Archunei Monks, and several other ones i can't think of off the top of my head, so its plausible that a monk could have been practicing something similar for years and the Padaren just present a more perfected form of the art.

Just thought i'd throw that out there.
Also, just to throw it out there, the Monk class doesn't actually have to be used for straight up spiritual warrior of inner peace thing. It allows for say, a common pit fighter, a street brawler, a trained martial artist, and so on.

Remember, it's RP, you can use what the game gives you to step outside the core mechanics to a degree.
THanks for the replies you 3. Really appreciate it.
Santiago made a pretty awesome thread for Pandaren lore/rp info which may be relevant to your interests:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6397720402
Backstory for a monk depends a lot on race. I can't think of anything for a night elf monk other than being a new trainee, though.
-How Pandaren Monks Came To Be

Nearly 12,000 years ago, the empire now known as Pandaria was ruled by a monstrous race of warlords known as the Mogu (see below). Mogu taskmasters forbade their slaves to carry weapons. During these dark times, Pandaren monks tried to lift the spirits of their beleaguered brothers and sisters. They were the storytellers, the brewmasters, and the healers who helped knit their oppressed society together in the midst of darkness.

As the Mogu empire began to fray, the Pandaren saw an opportunity for a revolution. Because they had no weapons, they trained common people to fight with their unarmed fists and feet. They mastered the use of positive energy -- or chi -- to empower themselves. The revolution itself was a bloody affair that shattered an empire and left a terrible toll among combatant and civilian alike, but ultimately the Mogu were overthrown and a new empire was founded.

Although Pandaren monks have since incorporated weapons into their attacks, they remain focused on chi as a source of power and are still devastating when fighting with open hands. In the wake of events on the Wandering Isle, Pandaren monks will travel to key places throughout Azeroth to share their wisdom with young Alliance and Horde trainees.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6397720402

Hope that helps a little! :)
09/26/2012 04:26 PMPosted by Elsana
Backstory for a monk depends a lot on race. I can't think of anything for a night elf monk other than being a new trainee, though.

Well depending on the elf's age, if he were one of the much older ones he could have learned it from the original pandaren, or even passed it on to others. its not impossible.