Strong Pet Trap?

Pet Battles
Prev 1 13 14 15 Next
Checked in this morning, and I now have the 25% success trap with new graphics. Thank you.
The strong pet trap is finally working for me today. (Have had the achievement required for days, I guess they are finally fixing it for people who already earned it.)
that's not how probability works... something with a 20% chance is NOT guaranteed to happen in 5 tries... in fact the probability it will happen within 5 tries is:

1 - (1 - .20) x (1 - .20) x (1 - .20) x (1 - .20) x (1 - .20) = .6723 = 67.23%

You're right if it was a 20% chance to miss each time. The point he was making is that with each miss, your chance of the next traps success increases 20% each time. So assuming a, say, 20% chance the first time, your second attempt will be 40%, then 60%, then 80%, and then 100%.

In other words, your chance to capture a pet on any given attempt can be calculated by x%+(a*20%) where x% is the base percentage, and a is the number of attempts you have made thus far.
The strong pet trap is finally working for me today. (Have had the achievement required for days, I guess they are finally fixing it for people who already earned it.)

I hope so. I put in a ticket last night. No word yet, and the ticket is still open, but I'm hoping (against all hope!) that when I log in tonight my traps will be all good =)
"Capture chance is increased by 20% each time you fail." I think it's a stretch to read that as referring to a compound 20% of the previous chance.

ahhhh... my example was fixed at 20% per try... not increasing by 20% each time... where are you reading this description?
that's not how probability works... something with a 20% chance is NOT guaranteed to happen in 5 tries... in fact the probability it will happen within 5 tries is:

1 - (1 - .20) x (1 - .20) x (1 - .20) x (1 - .20) x (1 - .20) = .6723 = 67.23%

You're right if it was a 20% chance to miss each time. The point he was making is that with each miss, your chance of the next traps success increases 20% each time. So assuming a, say, 20% chance the first time, your second attempt will be 40%, then 60%, then 80%, and then 100%.

In other words, your chance to capture a pet on any given attempt can be calculated by x%+(a*20%) where x% is the base percentage, and a is the number of attempts you have made thus far.

yes... note my response was to the concept of it being fixed at 20%... which you'll see in my quote of what i was responding too (whew!)... :)
I still only have the weakest trap, (on my Kailassa account, haven't done catching with the others,) and I've had the Feral Vermling for some time now. I'm hoping it will update to Pristine when I've raised 15 pets to level 25, but I'm not hopeful. With so many unfixed bugs still in pet battles and pet achievements, it appears this aspect of the game is not something Blizzard is interested in getting right.

As a work around, I keep a high level rare crab on my catching team as a back-up. That critter can really hang in there and take the punishment while the trap keeps failing to catch.
ahhhh... my example was fixed at 20% per try... not increasing by 20% each time... where are you reading this description?

It's written on the tooltip for the trap, Pando.

"Attempt to catch a pet below 35% health. Capture chance is increased by 20% each time you fail."

For Strong Trap it's 25%, for Pristine it's 30%.
*Still* not working for me, on any of my characters.
after today's rolling restart my trap has been changed to 'Strong Trap' and the description is now 25% (instead of 20%) and the graphic has changed... so i think i have Strong Trap now... :)
After the server restart today (didn't check before it went down) I now have Strong Trap, chance increased by 25%, metal bars and two floppy sides, new icon and animation. I also have a green-quality Scourged Whelpling because I booked it to Icecrown when I logged in and saw 'server restart in 2:30'. Woo!
Same strong trap acquired. Now about those pet dailies.
I got the strong trap, a giraffe calf and a rare arctic fox kit after the restart, one right after the other o.o
OMG... what a difference strong trap makes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
I was on before work this morning (~8 am EST) and still had crappy regular trap, hopefully I will have the Strong Trap visual and effect when I get home.
as of today after restart I now have my strong trap yay!
*does happy dance*

got it after the restart on all my realms too.
I also now have the strong trap. Many thanks for the fix.
I have a strong trap now! What achievement is it for the Pristine Trap? o.O