Enhancement Help

Shaman
No idea what I'm doing wrong, as I've always healed my way through raids and dungeons on this toon..
Basically, I'm trying to level this toon as a good old Enhancement Shaman, and I used to have no problems with it when I leveled it to 85. Now for some reason I can barely pull 15k on mobs.

My gear seems to be fine, and my rotation is pretty universal. Anyone here able to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Rotation:

Searing Totem
Unleash Elements
Flame Shock
Storm Strike
Lava Lash
Earth Shock
Lightning Bolt Dump
Refresh

Thanks
You do have your self buffs up right?
I have Lightning Shield, Flametongue, and Windfury up all the time.
I may be a scrub, but I'm not that bad haha.
Just checking, cause more often than not its something simple like that.
I notice you are using a dagger offhand, that might be part of the problem. You should be using slow weapons.
09/26/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Wargall
I notice you are using a dagger offhand, that might be part of the problem. You should be using slow weapons.

Yes, that's always kept me slightly distressed. I got them free when raiding DS and thought why not; and am currently trying to replace them.
Could it really be as much as that to cause this annoyance?
That's all I can think of, your rotation seems right, haven't used a fast offhand in a while but I know it would severely reduce the damage of stormstrike, lava lash, and obviously just the regular hits from it.
Just taking it for a test with a axe I had in my inventory with slightly worse stats than my Dagger; I can see that I'm doing maybe 2-3k more DPS. But, looking at my recount it actually says my melee damage is my main contributor to damage.. what's up with that? =/
Anyone else got any ideas? This is a pretty annoying thing for me =/
Haste haste haste. Get more of it. Before MoP came out I reforeged my entire PVP set for Haste instead of mastery.

While leveling I took haste over everything. For example every once in a while I'd finish a quest that rewards an item with a higher item level. Sure it has slightly more agility, but it had mastery, or crit, or hit on it instead of Haste so I'd skip it.

Haste is amazing for Enhancement, especially with Ascendance, and Stormlash totem.

Another thing you have to learn now about Enhancement is we've become very cooldown dependant.

Wolves, Fire Ele, Stormlash, Bloodlust. Use them on cooldown, dont save them unless you're doing an instance and you know there's a boss coming up. During leveling burn through them as soon as possible.

I had no problems leveling, things went down with haste ;-)
I'm also very good at using Flameshock > Lavalash > Unleash > Fire Nova. Get good at that and you can pull 4 or 5 mons and AOE them down nicely.
Thanks for the tips baddie. I'm going to do some reforging now and see how that makes some changes.
I will let you know how it works out.
BTW, while others have said your rotation is fine, it is not perfect.

Enhancement shaman rely very heavily on the "Priority" based system of choosing your actions as opposed to a "Rotation". Unsure if you are aware of this, just covering bases (don't kill me for assuming).

What this means is that certain things will need to be done above others, even if it doesn't fit a rotation.

For example, with your current selection (which I am assuming is your opening salvo so to speak):

Searing Totem
    Unleash Elements
    Flame Shock
    Storm Strike
    Lava Lash
    Earth Shock
    Lightning Bolt Dump
    Refresh

Should be closer to the actual enhancement priority listing:

Position
    1 elemental_mastery,if=talent.elemental_mastery.enabled
    2 ire_elemental_totem,if=!active&(buff.bloodlust.up
    3 ascendance
    4 searing_totem,if=!totem.fire.active
    5 unleash_elements,if=talent.unleashed_fury.enabled
    6 elemental_blast,if=talent.elemental_blast.enabled
    7 lightning_bolt,if=buff.maelstrom_weapon.react=5
    8 stormblast
    9 stormstrike
    10 lava_lash
    11 unleash_elements
    12 lightning_bolt,if=buff.maelstrom_weapon.react>=3&target.debuff.unleashed_fury_ft.up&!buff.ascendance.up
    13 ancestral_swiftness,if=talent.ancestral_swiftness.enabled&buff.maelstrom_weapon.react<2
    14 lightning_bolt,if=buff.ancestral_swiftness.up
    15 flame_shock,if=!ticking&buff.unleash_flame.up
    16 earth_shock
    17 feral_spirit
    18 earth_elemental_totem,if=!active
    19 spiritwalkers_grace,moving=1
    20 lightning_bolt,if=buff.maelstrom_weapon.react>1&!buff.ascendance.up

Now, that seems complicated, but it really is pretty simple, and I'll break down what your opening abilities should be based on the above priority list and why. For parity sake, I am just going to ignore the 2min/3min CD's as I am assuming you are just killing quest mobs and want to power through them. (E.G. Don't stack CD's, use one per mob and kill as many as possible with each CD, use one Elemental and keep moving him with totemic projection)

1 Drop Searing totem, this is required to stack your Searing Flames

2 Stormstrike, You always want to stormstrike first due to A) Possible crits on Lightning shield procs, and B) You are reducing the likelihood of wasting a GCD due to them coming off CD together C) Possible Static Shocks from your Lava Lashes and even this first Stormstrike (which may also be a crit from point A)

3 Unleash Elements, obvious reasons for wind (it makes us awesome), and flame (makes our flame shock that much better)

That is literally it for what is required for each opener on a mob. The rest is complete priority.

You should prioritize a Lava Lash over a Flame shock if you have 5 stacks of Searing Flames, even if you just cast Unleash Elements. And never cast Lava Lash unless you have 5 stacks of Searing Flames.

You should prioritize casting a Lightning Bolt over anything else if you have just hit 5 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon.

You should cast Earth Shock if everything else is either on CD or you don't have enough stacks to make a cast worth it.

You should never cast LB with less than 2 stacks of Maelstrom.

If anything here is confusing, let me know.
Iomputino,

Does this hold true in PvP as-well? With the same priorities etc mixing in CC and situational abilities where needed. (i.e Windsheer to interrupt, Hex for CC, Grounding for Chaos bolt)?

I want to roll enhancement for PvP this time around.

Thanks,
You cant really compare PVP with PVE. Sure if you're on a flag carrier and you just want to DPS him down then go with the Priority Rotation. But in most situations you'll find yourself doing things that are not straight DPS. You'll hex a target, heal a team mate, Spirit Walk to run away.

If you find yourself free and can DPS a target down then go ahead and use the priority rotation. Although I'd save my 5x Maelstrom for heals / hex unless you're specced into Elemental Blast.
I am not going to claim that I have a broad knowledge of PvP on enhance, but there are a couple specific changes to what abilities to use with different situations. Be aware again, that this is coming from low experience in a PvP setting and knowledge of class abilities based on mainly thought process not experience. But, since you asked...

The main one is that you never use Maelstrom stacks for lightning bolts. Literally never. It should only go to CC (instant hex) or Healing (crit, instant 30% chance for double proc healing surge, or a healing rain).

UE should still be used on FS, you still have 7 seconds from UE cast until FS to apply it. That means the only issue is if you cast a frost shock longer than immediately after casting UE, and then you need to be spamming the crap out of that button because you only have a second to cast FS. In that situation it might be better to cast LL, even without the 5 stacks of searing flames to not waste the unleash.

Remember though, the new fire elemental (both types) give searing flames, so LL shouldn't be that hard to cast with the 5 stacks.
09/27/2012 10:07 AMPosted by Iomputino
UE should still be used on FS, you still have 7 seconds from UE cast until FS to apply it.

This only applies if you're using Flametongue on your offhand, AND if you're not specced into Elemental blast.

Also I've found this rotation can heal you and your teammates for A LOT in a dire PVP situation.

Flameshock > Lavalash to spread it on multiple targets > Unleash Elementals > Ancestral Spirit > Fire Nova. The aoe damage you do here will not be to just damage the enemy, but to heal you and your teammates. Try it sometime, its crazy awesome.

This only applies if you're using Flametongue on your offhand, AND if you're not specced into Elemental blast.

Also I've found this rotation can heal you and your teammates for A LOT in a dire PVP situation.

Flameshock > Lavalash to spread it on multiple targets > Unleash Elementals > Ancestral Spirit > Fire Nova. The aoe damage you do here will not be to just damage the enemy, but to heal you and your teammates. Try it sometime, its crazy awesome.

That is a very good point about the flametongue on OH. If you have frostbrand on your OH, you should be looking at Unleash more as a control than a damage increase.
Thanks for the replies. I am going to change some of my talents

Going to get rid of X and pick up Y

Astral Shift / StoneBulk war
Ancestral Swiftness / Echo of the Elements

I feel my glyphs are good for now (dis regarding any new MOP / level 90 glyphs)

I will roll with this and level to 89 and use BG's to hit level 90.

PvP with an enhancement shaman has you constantly looking out for your teammates in arena. If a chaos bolt is coming its generally a really good idea to drop grounding. Grounding can also combat against hex/sheep and other CC's acting almost as as a trinket.

I feel as though it takes tons of work to learn though because it is so situational based. I haven't played enhancement since TBC though.

If anyone here has done recent Shaman Enhance PvP I would love any more current up to date advice =D