AFK in Ragefire

General Discussion
Soo is it true that you can AFK after entering Ragefire and let a single mob hit you forever, thus leaving you in combat endlessly and gives the user the ability to stay logged in?
People are doing this on some of my other servers, driving up Q times quite high on higher population realms.
"is it true?"

"people are doing this"

uh...well if 2, then 1. and if 1 then possibly 2. since 2 wasn't assumed, 1 must be true.

based on what you wrote, yes it's true.
He is saying that there are people that are flying in to Ragefire Chasm, or entering the portal, harmlessly drawing a mob to them, and letting it swing at them for 7-12 hours while they AFK to do whatever it is they need to do.

And by doing so, it is intentionally driving up queue timers for everybody else. Essentially, exploiting this, you are never AFK and forced offline.
exploiting? it's fully obeying game mechanics.

the character is in combat.

@Nebulae:

1) there are other people around you. Their existence may not be noticed but they exist.
2) together with them you share a great ark called a "server".
3) despie its vastness this server is not infinite.
4) naturally the server assumes in nature not everyone will be concurrent, hence its calibrated to accept on board more than what it can have on board at the same time.
5) when #4 is challenged by the fact that the laws of this nature are changed by people staying on 24/7, the server backs up and overflows.
6) this causes some people to affect other people. Indirectly.
Clever use of game mechanics imo
exploiting? it's fully obeying game mechanics.

the character is in combat.

We have seen discussions before where "fully obeying game mechanics" gets you a swift boot from Blizzard.

An exploit is an exploit, bottom line.

I dont understand??? How would you going afk in a dungeon effect anyone else?

Because the OP is saying that they are doing this so that way they are not forced off the server after the allotted time of AFK. They are doing this so that way they stay ONLINE.

And in high population servers, that is a problem.

It means they are staying online, essentially keeping a spot for themselves, while others remain in the queue to log in to the server. That is a real problem.
He is saying that there are people that are flying in to Ragefire Chasm, or entering the portal, harmlessly drawing a mob to them, and letting it swing at them for 7-12 hours while they AFK to do whatever it is they need to do.

And by doing so, it is intentionally driving up queue timers for everybody else. Essentially, exploiting this, you are never AFK and forced offline.

I dont understand??? How would you going afk in a dungeon effect anyone else?

Because there is a limit to how many people can be on a server at one time. I would assume despite being on an instance server, the world server would still count you so it would keep someone from "logging into" your spot before you came back from the instance server.

With so many people logging in, this creates queues. If someone is exploiting a mechanic to stay logged in, their spot won't go to someone else who will actually play.
What mean-minded little vegemite would even come up with such a rotten thing to do?
09/27/2012 12:20 AMPosted by Pozytecznosc
Clever use of game mechanics imo

lol I tend to agree. No more having to log out when I sleep, and come back to a huge hour long Q. There will always be a spot for me when I log on in the morning :P
If it is happening, it's an exploit.

But if the guy is in there alone, how do you know?
This is why we can't have nice things.
If it is happening, it's an exploit.

But if the guy is in there alone, how do you know?

Nobody, and I mean... Nobody, takes 7 hours to run RFC.

Things get done in this world, and by no means does RFC occupy 7 hours of your time.
And to think I wasted so much time training my dog to tap the space bar with his nose every few minutes...