5.0 Mistweaver PvE Guide

Monk
Prev 1 6 7 8 Next
A very important thing about haste breakpoints that was just discussed over on EJ is that the 3148 ReM breakpoint must be reached BEFORE getting the 50% extra haste from Stance of the Wise Serpent. So you need to be in Stance of the Fierce Tiger when gemming/reforging to 3148 haste; then when you flip to healing stance you'll have ~4200 haste unbuffed, ~4700 haste with the 5% haste buff from spriest or moonkin.

Some folks on EJ tested this, and confirmed that you only get the 11th ReM tick with 3148 haste in DPS stance and 4200ish haste in healing stance:

http://elitistjerks.com/f99/t129834-mistweaver_healing_compendium/p12/
11/28/2012 08:03 AMPosted by Qiubear
A very important thing about haste breakpoints that was just discussed over on EJ is that the 3148 ReM breakpoint must be reached BEFORE getting the 50% extra haste from Stance of the Wise Serpent.

Thanks Qiu!

Just to be sure my post with the numbers doesn't mislead any more people than it already has, I'll go and ammend it since people might not bother coming to this page once they've got the numbers they *think* they need from the last page...
No problem! I was a noob last night and reforged for 3148 while in Wise Serpent, meaning my already-nerfed ReM was even weaker than it should have been. Don't be a bad like me! Get to the correct number for your breakpoint!
11/28/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Qiubear
No problem! I was a noob last night and reforged for 3148 while in Wise Serpent, meaning my already-nerfed ReM was even weaker than it should have been. Don't be a bad like me! Get to the correct number for your breakpoint!

lol, I did too, and I don't think we were the only ones.

I'm pretty pleased, quite honestly, since I felt I did fine in last night's raid (had to 9-man our farm bosses in MSV) so this should only make things even better!
11/28/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Qiubear

This happened to me last night. Fixing it before the next raid.

Feel like an idiot.
This happened to me last night. Fixing it before the next raid.

Feel like an idiot.

pssshhhh, it's the info everyone was passing around, don't feel like an idiot for it! Just be pleased that you'll be a bit stronger next time you're healing ;)
Huh, guess I shall have to change that then. I didn't think of doing it in Tiger stance. When I did it in healing stance (using Reforge Lite with the values set to ~3148), I ended up with something well over 4k, I then spent another couple hundred gold jimmying it around to get it down to ~3148... and now it seems that I had it correct in the first place... doh.

Also, I had a guildie last night saying that he read on EJ that resto shaman haste break points are affected by latency, which for our guild being Aust/NZ based is really painful with our 200+ pings. Apparently (for Resto) it totally destroys any hope of reaching haste caps I was wondering if anyone has seen something similar for MWs?

Also, side note, I remember reading somewhere that Windsong was better for us then Jade Spirit, is that true and does anyone have proof to back it up so I can get some folks off my back (cause I can't afford 12k, and I figure you guys can't all be poor like me).
11/30/2012 12:16 AMPosted by Remedies
Also, side note, I remember reading somewhere that Windsong was better for us then Jade Spirit, is that true and does anyone have proof to back it up so I can get some folks off my back (cause I can't afford 12k, and I figure you guys can't all be poor like me).

Yeah, I read the same thing. It was back *quite* a while though - certainly before I had a weapon which might even be considered good enough to bother with a Jade Spirit.

I have no math to back up one or the other, however I do have a link...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/affinichi/simple

Blood Legion's Mistweavers' choice of weapon chant is a good enough recommendation for me. Yeah, sometimes even the best players in the world can be wrong about stuff, but it's more likely that he's using it for good reason ;)
Seems she has switched to Jade Spirit now though. :/
11/30/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Remedies
Seems she has switched to Jade Spirit now though. :/

that's what I'm saying :D I haven't switched over yet because the chant is still expensive, my guild is lagging *waaayyyy* behind progression-wise (we're overgeared for what we're working on, and my using Windsong on my LFR WoE mace isn't exactly going to cause me to not be able to heal enough when we get back to working on 10man bosses), and I figure there's a decent enough chance I'll get a LFR Sha-touched mace or even a normal-mode Sha-touched mace soon enough (ie, I don't want to waste a spiffy expensive chant on a weapon I hope to replace quickly).
I've been playin Mistweaver almost since I hit level 10. Of course with dual spec, I switch out to DPS for quests, but instances I heal.

I know it's low level so it's hard to even come close to what it's like at 90, but I haven't fistweaved once. I throw up renewing mist on the target, cast soothing mist, and throw in Chi wave. That is sufficient enough to heal even the sketchy situations.

So at what point does this not work? So far this 'rotation' has worked perfectly. I love healing, and the thought of fistweaving actually discourages me from playing/leveling to 90.

After 5.1 is fistweaving still the 'best' way to heal/keep your mana up?
It's easier than ever to keep your "max melee dps/healing" buffs up now that the full 30% armor reduction Tiger Palm buff is applied with one TP instead of 3.

Having said that, it is phenomenally rare for any Mistweaver to do nothing but melee-heal, in anything approaching end-game challenging content. I just ran a heroic 5man, and I *mostly* melee-healed, because I'm way overgeared for 5mans and also, none of the 4 puggers I was there with were doing silly things which resulted in them needing to be brought back from near-death.

I'm not sure what "magical level" your current healing strategy will stop working at. SoM eventually stops healing for much, and becomes nothing more than the vehicle by which you can apply instant SuM & EM. Chi Wave will continue to be strong for 5mans through to end game heroic 5mans, but in 10man/25man situation you'll reach for Chi Burst (and perhaps even Chi Torpedo for certain situations).

You'll pretty much always be wanting to cast RM on cooldown in raiding environments, because RM does an appreciable amount of healing on its own, and also because you need it on as many targets as possible at every possible moment in case you need to AoE heal people who aren't stacked via Uplift (Chi Burst & Chi Torpedo only heal stacked/"lined up" people; Spinning Crane Kick only heals people who are stacked or loosely-clustered).

Jab continues to be the only reliable & on-demand way to generate Chi (though 5.1 has made generating Chi at range much better than it was previously), so it's always advantageous to be stacked with the melee dps'ers. And if you're there anyway, you might as well do what you can to throw out enough BoK to keep the buff rolling so that your melee attacks (which your toon does automatically between casting heals, if you have the boss targetted & use mouseover heals) provide constant low-grade background healing (presuming you have your statue up, which you don't have yet).

.. then when you're really not doing much healing and you're standing around with GCDs to spare, why not throw in a TP to get the armor reduction buff going so all your melee attacks - all the white damage, and all the BoKs you do in order to keep the white-damage continuing to heal - do 30% more damage & healing.

*That* is the extent to which we melee-heal in most raid content. There are exceptions; just like Disc priest, any fight with a +damage modifier which upps the melee damage we do upps the healing we do from said melee damage, and we tend to throw in more melee attacks on fights like those (Elegon is the prime example in current raiding content, but a case can be made for Garalon as well).

5.1 has made mana *much* tighter in end-game. Of course, 5.1 has made our melee-healing abilities a bit stronger too (via the TP-buff change, as well as by giving us 50% passive haste, which upps our auto-attack and therefore the healing done if we have the BoK buff up). Glyph of Mana Tea is near mandatory out of necessity now, instead of just "what's optimal but you can also probably go without" like it was pre-5.1.

Keep in mind that when you're glyphed for Mana Tea, DO NOT use your Mana Tea ability if you have only ONE stack of Mana Tea. The benefit to the glyph is that you can consume 2 stacks in one GCD, and you might as well toss the glyph out if you don't make a habit of being sure to have 2 stacks when you sip.
I've never gotten a liking for Chi Burst, always end up going back to Chi Wave. Maybe i just don't 'get it' in my ripe old age of 29.
Is 3148, in non serpent stance, still the breakpoint to go for even after 5.1?
3148 is the new current breakpoint, 1348 was the old 5.0 one. Make sure you are in tiger stance before reforging, since wise serpent shows your haste with the buff.

After a few weeks, I don't really have mana isseues anymore. In fact, I actually have beensteadily dropped from around 9k spirit to roughly 5.9k didn't really change my style of healing, but it has definitely increased my throughput.
Hello Fellow Monks,

What do you folks thinks of as far as the 2 professions monk should be using? I hear and read a lot of debate on

1. BS / JC
2. BS / Alch
3. JC / Alch

What do you folks think and why? I am currently using Option 3 on that list. I would like to see some math as to why people think the way they do. I have not really seen the math but rather the oh this just makes sense. I am debating on switching to Option 1 or 2 personally but yeah lets see what others have to say.

Thanks
Val
BS/Alch is, I believe, the strongest, especially if you have a viable OS (which is important for min/max raiding; you should be able to provide flexibility for your group depending on fight requirements).

I believe the math is available at elitistjerks.com in the Mistweaver Compendium thread on the forum.

I personally went BS/tailoring because of Darkglow Embroidery for cloaks. When it procs right at the start of a fight (ie, when the benefit of the *huge* boost in Spirit is theoretically "wasted" while I'm at full mana), I just go balls-to-the-wall Jabbing & BoK to be sure I'm *spending* that proc; I then have an early stockpile of Mana Tea I have effectively "banked" for use once my mana actually starts to drain and in the meantime I've put a little more dps in on the fight than I otherwise woud have.

Tailoring is, however, all but useless for WW & BM.
Anyone know if there is a way to use Healing Sphere to interface with Grid so it drops it automatically at peoples feet. Cause I find it awkward as buggery tossing em out regularly, and barely use it.

Also, the extra mana tea proc thing, works with the glyph, right? Can't say I've ever noticed it use 3 charges.
Crit only effects your chance to GENERATE 2 stacks of mana tea as opposed to 1 for every 4 chi. The glyph is unaffected by the extra procs, you always consume a maximum of 2 stacks of tea.
12/18/2012 06:03 PMPosted by Remedies
Anyone know if there is a way to use Healing Sphere to interface with Grid so it drops it automatically at peoples feet. Cause I find it awkward as buggery tossing em out regularly, and barely use it.

There is no way for this to happen. You have to use the reticule to position each sphere.