Zen Alchemy Discovery on Greys?

Professions
My shammy has hit around 550 alchemy, and I've been trying to see if I can still discover new Zen recipies on Zen recipies that are grey. Anyone know weather or not you can/can't still discover new recipies on grey stuff?
I don't see why not. You can still discover BC recipies from Cata greys/wotlk greys/yadda yadda.
You cannot discover MoP alchemy recipes from greys. The exception to this is from the trained patterns Alchemist's Rejuvenation and Master Healing Potion (but they will only give a limited amount of discoveries). I found this out because I used heartblossom to level my alchemy to 535 and found I had no items which granted me skill and nothing on the trainer.

However a limited run of potion making showed me that it seems very unlikely to gain points on other grey patterns.
So does this I'm completely SOL???

I tried to be efficient and get a jump on maxing my Alchemy. I bought a bunch of Elementium Ore really cheap last week and prospected them all to a common stones. When Mop hit, I immediately transmuted Shadowspirit Diamonds until it was grey (lvl 535).

Went to alchemy trainer in Jade Forest...and found nothing.

So now I have an entire alchemy book competely grey.

Working as intended to screw over those trying to get a jump on alchemy, or is there a way out (other than dropping and re-leveling alchemy)?
Actually went to tried crafting the 2 MoP recipes from the trainers. They've been grey for a long time. Got tons of discoveries from making 2 stacks of potions.

So you CAN proc discoveries from grey items...as long as they are MoP items.
Good information to know. :) Thanks.
OK either this is bs or it has been hotfixed, I did 50 Alchemist's Rejuvenation that was grey to me this second and I DID NOT LEARN ONE EXTRA RECIPE AT ALL, 50 attemps and 50 NOTHINGS!!!!!!!!

As I understand it, discovery has nothing to do with your alchemy skill level, or whether a recipe is orange, yellow, green, or grey. Rather, each recipe has a list of recipes that can be learned by crafting it. If you've already learned all the recipes available to be learned from a particular recipe, then crafting it again will not lead to any discoveries---you'll have to move on to a higher-level recipe.

Since you're not posting on your alchemist, I can't say for sure, but my guess is that you've already made all discoveries possible from those potions and need to try something else.
10/01/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Keeblik
As I understand it, discovery has nothing to do with your alchemy skill level, or whether a recipe is orange, yellow, green, or grey. Rather, each recipe has a list of recipes that can be learned by crafting it. If you've already learned all the recipes available to be learned from a particular recipe, then crafting it again will not lead to any discoveries---you'll have to move on to a higher-level recipe.

Not true at all.

Greys have a very low rate of discovery, But master healing pot and alchemist rejuv will always have some chance of a discovery. Greater then zero but still less then 1%, Level to 535 from non mop mats? be prepared to make 500 pots to get a discovery, only 50 probably won't do it.

Something else false is that you need to be a certain level before you can discover certain patterns, like 590 for transmute living steel, again not true.
I just did.

You don't seem to as much, though. What I was doing was this:

Learn a new recipe.

Make stuff in THAT recipe.

Learn new recipes sooner.

It seems to work that way. However, I just had like a billion of the tea leaves (GO FIGURE), so I was making the intro junk healing recipe (now gray. ) I still got a new recipe, after making a lot with no new recipe (the one I got was vermillion transmute.)

It definitely slows down, when you've already made/discovered a lot on one type. I also don't know if the same type, such as the healing getting vermillion transmute, is the only one that can discover that recipe.

I just know that when I make even a few of a new recipe, I get a discovery.
------------------

From what a poster says above, gray seems to have nothing to do with it; Rather it seems to be how many discoveries you've already got on that item ( I may have them all now, from the healing potion.)
Yes you can.