Pet Battles: FAQs, Links, Macros, & Addons

Pet Battles
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
Please let me know what you guys think. I'm open to comments/suggestions/additional info.
Nicely done.

I was actually just about finished with a similar guide, but yours covers a lot more of the basics and is probably more useful. Let me see if I can't find some part of what I wrote that you could add to yours.

Here's the only three that you didn't already cover:
Why do two pets that are the same rarity and species sometimes have different stats?
The short answer is that each pet species has multiple different possible “natures”. Some pets may be based around Speed and others around Power or HP, or they may be perfectly balanced or anywhere in between (slight increase to one stat, slight decrease to another). For much more technical information, see: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6712952299#9

My pets are all better than the wild pets I find – where do I go to find a fight that is near my level?
The level of Wild Battle Pets roughly follows the level of the zone. For example, Durotar, a 1-10 zone, has level 1 Battle Pets. Northern Barrens, a 10-20 zone, has level 3 Battle Pets. Stonetalon Mountains, a level 25-30 zone, has level 5 Battle Pets. Desolace has level 7 Battle Pets, Southern Barrens has level 9 Battle Pets, and Feralas has level 11 Battle Pets.
Also, you should have gotten a quest from the Battle Pet trainer (if not, go back to him and doublecheck – sometimes it doesn’t appear until you have a level 3 pet) to go battle an NPC. After you beat each NPC, you get a quest to battle a tougher one. This will have you flying all over to the proper level zones to battle the increasingly difficult NPCs. Eventually, you might even run into one where you’re overmatched, and then that zone is a good place to level and train up in for you.

Why are all of the pets I find Beasts and Critters?
For better or for worse, pets actually represent the creatures and critters that are in the zone naturally. In addition, some pets only spawn in certain areas or under certain conditions. For example, in Northern Barrens you will find Prairie Dogs and Adders all over in the form of Critters, so naturally they are the most commonly found Battle Pet in the zone. However, you can also find Small Frogs around the oases (plural form of oasis apparently) and Cheetah Cubs by their mothers and fathers around the large trees that provide lots of shade. In Southern Barrens, you can even rarely find Giraffe Cubs following the herds of roaming Giraffes.
If your pet of choice is weak against Beasts or Critters, you may be better off leveling in the northern part of Eastern Kingdoms because the zones that still suffer from the Undead invasion have many Undead Battle Pets to fight.

Some other things
There are no epic or legendary pets available to PLAYERS, but NPC Tamers on Pandaria use Epic pets and the Grand Master Tamer (basically the end boss of NPC pet battles) has 3 Legendary pets. I don't believe that they will introduce epic or legendary pets for players, at least for a long time because it would greatly devalue all of the rare pets. It would ruin it for a lot of people.
Updated to reflect the new info you posted Simca. Thanks!
Nice work. I was thinking of doing something like this. But I was too busy playing with my pets. Also too lazy. ;)

You might as well post the list of Pre-existing Rare pets, I just copied it from a Blizzard post. I did sort it into alphabetical order, but that's all.
Vote for sticky :) Thanks for the info
I would really like to see the pet bandages be an option for me to create on my own through first aide. This is the only "pet battle" related forum so I apologize if I am speaking on the wrong forum. However, I really wanted to express my opinion on this. I have been getting the bandages from the quests and do appreciate the quantity being increase by Blizz, but as an avid collector I still could use more. While out in the world leveling my pets through battles and catching new colors or species I still find myself sometimes waiting around for the cooldown to refresh. Now, its not the end of the world and I wont rage about it. I CAN wait its not a big deal, but it would be more convienent to be able to make bandages so that I can continue catching more pets. Perhaps even using linen cloth to make bandages so that it cant be exploited for those to level end game first aide. Just a suggestion.... I have really enjoyed the pet battles so far and I did not grow up in the "other" pet battle game as a kid. A nice addition on Blizz's part and I appreciate that all my collecting of "wasteful" pets can now be seen as the asset it really is.
One more thing. Since there are 3 kinds of rarity, I vote that we call stat level quality, and hard to find pets as scarce.
The way the armory online journal is set up, wild pets show their stat quality level, and all other pets show the common/uncommon/rare level of the item that teaches them. Such as Hyacinth Macaw is epic purple, and Panther Cub is common white, but they are both rare quality stats.
Appreciate this forum. And the guides very much. Sorry I forgot to say that :D
I almost never post in the official forums, but I HAD TO log in and register my thumbs up to this amazing work and say that I really appreciate the effort you put into this, Phaedra (and Simca for the important contribution). Keep it up!

I'm very enthusiastic with this new feature, especially considering I was adamant about the near zero chance of playing this expansion myself.

Regards.
Thanks for compiling this, Phaedra. One site you should keep an eye on for the future is warcraftpets.com. I'm eagerly awaiting Breanni's addition to the site for pet battles, but regardless it has a lot of information for the collectible pets out there. Really nice site.
Call for sticky?
Thank you! Upvoted and requested sticky. :D
Thanks for all the stickies and upvotes! I've been continuing to add information through-out the day (as I recall/have time).
Back to the front
vote for sticky
Unless they changed it recently, you do gain XP in PvP battles.
Thanks for the attribution and the addon plugs phaedra!
I love you, OP, even if you are Alliance.
@Nullberri - thank you and for the wonderful addons!
@everyone else complimenting me - /blush and thank you

Two requests:
I'm currently at work and unable to do anything related to pet battle other than internet research and edit this document. Can someone research the XP from PvP battles? I was pretty darn sure you didn't get XP from them, but I have not yet personally done a PvP battle.

Second, I have not personally done too many of the pet battle quests (I think my next battle tamer is the guy in Northern STV). Would someone with more knowledge be able to confirm/deny what I wrote about quests and being sharable between alts? Or provide better information?

I will credit those who provide useful information and be eternally grateful!

One final question: Is this title descriptive enough? I was wondering if I should rename it to be Pet Battles: FAQs, Links, Macros, & Addons.
09/28/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Phaedra
I'm currently at work and unable to do anything related to pet battle other than internet research and edit this document. Can someone research the XP from PvP battles? I was pretty darn sure you didn't get XP from them, but I have not yet personally done a PvP battle.

You do gain experience from random PvP battles. I'm fairly certain it is equivalent to what you'd earn if you defeated that combination of pet levels in the wild. Unfortunately, testing this theory can prove to be...chaotic...because of the random nature of the battles and the inability to communicate with the other player during the battle.

As far as experience gains go, you receive 25% less experience when you trap a solo pet versus killing the pet outright. Presumably (but untested), in multi-pet battles you gain experience based on the number of pets (so 2 pets means twice the experience for your team members that participated). Following along that assumption, you likely gain 25% less experience FOR THE TRAPPED pet, which means a reduction of 12.5% in a dual-pet battle and 6.75% reduction in a three-way battle.

Pets that are 5+ levels above the enemy receive no experience for killing or trapping the enemy pet. Experience gained from a pet battle is split evenly between all team members that participated and are still alive at the end of the battle (thus, if two pets participate, but one dies, the survivor gets 100% of the experience). Pets receiving experience for the battle that are below the level of the enemy pet receive a "difficulty bonus" of an undetermined percentage.

09/28/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Phaedra
Second, I have not personally done too many of the pet battle quests (I think my next battle tamer is the guy in Northern STV). Would someone with more knowledge be able to confirm/deny what I wrote about quests and being sharable between alts? Or provide better information?

Quests are Battle.net account-wide, so they are shared by alts across realms and game accounts, just like the pets. So, if you are on the Horde questline, then start working on your Alliance character and complete the quest, you will receive credit for the quest...and be directed to turn in to the Horde questgiver. For obvious reasons, you cannot receive or turn in quests of the opposite faction, but you can complete them. You can also only be on a single questline at a time. So, if you started the Horde Kalimdor questline, you have to finish that before starting the Alliance Kalimdor, Alliance Eastern Kingdoms, or the Horde Eastern Kingdoms questline.

One final question: Is this title descriptive enough? I was wondering if I should rename it to be Pet Battles: FAQs, Links, Macros, & Addons.

I like that title, especially when this gets stickied =)