Pet Battles: FAQs, Links, Macros, & Addons

Pet Battles
Prev 1 2 3 4 10 Next
Fabulous! Thank you so much Aieny!
Vote for sticky!!!
I can confirm that wild-caught pets DO count for the 'raise pet to X' achievements. The only aquatic-family pet I have at 10 or above is a green-quality Shore Crab I caught at level 9, and you can check my achievements to confirm I have the one for raising a pet of every family to 10.
09/27/2012 09:07 PMPosted by Billyblanks
Unless they changed it recently, you do gain XP in PvP battles.

When you queue for a random battle, you get XP. If you go duel somebody out in the world, you don't.
09/28/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Ryxl
I can confirm that wild-caught pets DO count for the 'raise pet to X' achievements. The only aquatic-family pet I have at 10 or above is a green-quality Shore Crab I caught at level 9, and you can check my achievements to confirm I have the one for raising a pet of every family to 10.

I think the issue is that higher leveler wild pets do not count for certain achievements. Your crab was below level 9. I don't think it would have counted for raising X Pets to Level 10 if it was level 10 or higher. I will clarify my post to reflect this better.
09/28/2012 10:16 AMPosted by Shalura
Unless they changed it recently, you do gain XP in PvP battles.

When you queue for a random battle, you get XP. If you go duel somebody out in the world, you don't.

Will also update to reflect this. Now, however, I know where my confusion over PvP XP comes from. Thanks!
09/28/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Phaedra
I don't think it would have counted for raising X Pets to Level 10 if it was level 10 or higher.

Oh, I absolutely agree there. I was just confirming but catching one at 9 and raising it to 10 will work. I can't imagine Blizzard would have intended to force people to acquire a pet of every family through non-capture methods.
09/28/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Phaedra
I think the issue is that higher leveler wild pets do not count for certain achievements. Your crab was below level 9. I don't think it would have counted for raising X Pets to Level 10 if it was level 10 or higher. I will clarify my post to reflect this better.

It doesn't. I tested this on the beta.
09/28/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Shalura

It doesn't. I tested this on the beta.

Excellent. Thanks for the confirmation Shalura!
One thing to point out. Attack Type is not always the same as Creature Type. For example, Grunty is a Humanoid type. But many of his Attacks do Mechanical damage. Or the baby crocolisks, like Chuck. Aquatic type, but he has Beast and Undead type Attacks as well.
09/28/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Shalura
One thing to point out. Attack Type is not always the same as Creature Type. For example, Grunty is a Humanoid type. But many of his Attacks do Mechanical damage. Or the baby crocolisks, like Chuck. Aquatic type, but he has Beast and Undead type Attacks as well.

Is this not clear in the "What does my pet's family mean?" section? I put in a statement about pets learning other type's move types (ie, rabbit, critter type, learning burrow, beast type move). If it's not clear, I will clarify.
What's a battle?
09/28/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Phaedra

Is this not clear in the "What does my pet's family mean?" section? I put in a statement about pets learning other type's move types (ie, rabbit, critter type, learning burrow, beast type move). If it's not clear, I will clarify.

It's probably important enough that it should be in it's own heading. It's easy to miss stuck on the end of that paragraph.
09/28/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Shalura

It's probably important enough that it should be in it's own heading. It's easy to miss stuck on the end of that paragraph.

Gotcha! Will update....probably should have let myself more room for the FAQs, as space is starting to become precious.
Is there a difference in pets based on color? Such as rabbits... So far I have a brown rabbit and a white rabbit, both of poor rarity. Do they count as unique individuals, or is the color just cosmetic and I can release one?
09/28/2012 12:47 PMPosted by Eodri
Is there a difference in pets based on color? Such as rabbits... So far I have a brown rabbit and a white rabbit, both of poor rarity. Do they count as unique individuals, or is the color just cosmetic and I can release one?

Pet's coats (to avoid confusion with rarity color) are purely cosmetic. Their unique type (for example, Elfin Rabbit vs Snowshoe Rabbit vs Rabbit) is what counts towards number of pets caught. If you'd like to release your white rabbit and just keep your brown rabbit, feel free.
Aieny from Medivh explains:
You won't get achievements for "Raise 15 pets to level 10" type achievements if you tame a level 14 pet and raise it to level 15. I don't know if you can even get any of those achievements with level 2 tamed pets. I haven't tested to see if level 1 tamed pets work, but I imagine they *should*. All pre-battle pets are level 1 to start, so those definitely work for the achievement.
As for the difference in pets, a level 1 raised to level 25 and a level 22 raised to level 25 should have the same stats (allowing for the known differences in stat distribution).

Actually, I've since been informed that this is wrong.

Trapping a level 14 pet and raise it to level 15 counts toward achievements for raising a pet to a level. Trapping a pet at or above the achievement level, however, does not count. As for the difference in pets, a level 1 raised to level 25 and a level 22 raised to level 25 should have the same stats (allowing for the known differences in stat distribution).
In the process of updating and revamping - but since I'm home now, mostly I'm pet battling/questing. I plan to hopefully have this updated tomorrow.
Thanks for compiling the info.

Reported for sticky.
I'd love for an addon to get some kind of victory fanfaire Final Fantasy music for the victory. Blizzard really missed out by not adding some kind of victory music!