5.0 Brewmaster PvE Guide

Monk
To add to what Descretoria said - it is like the Holy Priest mastery, for any re-rolled priests here. You get hit with an initial attack for X amount, with a stagger amount of Y which ticks over 10 seconds. The next time you get hit in those 10 seconds, the remainder of Y gets added to the next stagger amount, and the new percentage is calculated from that total. It doesn't infinitely stack.

Example: 10k hit incoming. You take 8k off the bat, with a 2k stagger over 10 seconds (200 per second). At 3 seconds into that stagger, another 10k attack hits - 8k initial hit, with 2k stagger. However, at 3 seconds between hits, you've already let 600 stagger damage tick from the initial hit, so there is 1400 left from the initial hit. 1400+2000 means you are now taking 3400 stagger damage over 10 seconds, instead of 2000+2000 as you implied.
10/01/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Thadreon
Also... Has there been any word about a modification to the Dizzying Haze debuff? I've noticed that targets that are immune to Movement Speed Decreases don't get the Debuff applied to them, meaning we don't have access to the 3% chance Misfire chance.

It would be ridiculously overpowered to have the 3% chance to hit themselves apply to bosses. It doesn't need to be applied to everything, and shouldn't be applied to bosses in particular. Breath of Fire on single target is a waste of chi anyway.
What would be more beneficial for GotO procs? Dual-wield or two-handers?
10/02/2012 05:41 AMPosted by

2H will be better because you will have a bunch of misses on your off hand weapon, which cant proc... it is a very small difference, but a difference nonetheless.

2H also has more primary stat points.

DW theorycrafts out to a little more dps in exchange.
10/02/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Bhambhoo

2H will be better because you will have a bunch of misses on your off hand weapon, which cant proc... it is a very small difference, but a difference nonetheless.

2H also has more primary stat points.

DW theorycrafts out to a little more dps in exchange.

But you are missing out a ton of Elusive Brew stacks with 2h. We tested this morning on the 1st boss in Mogushan Vaults to check mechanics, see how hard things hit, test different theories out etc. 3 minute fights each time, 4 times for each 1h/2h.:

1h - Elusive Brew uptime 92-96% and I only did it at 7 stacks+.
2h - Elusive brew uptime 70-83% and 7+ stacks.

Equally geared warrior tank as me and my dmg taken was significantly less than him all 8 fight tests. I even took less dmg while fully taking both mobs the entire time with proper taunts while he only tanked 1 full time. Elusive Brew is nothing to scoff at.
10/02/2012 11:44 AMPosted by Genshin
But you are missing out a ton of Elusive Brew stacks with 2h.

You're not. They're just intermittent. Keep testing and you'll find they even out over time.

If they don't, they're going against design intent.
I'm toying with the idea of sort of reviving the old paladin 6/9/6/9/6 rotation for Brewmasters, in a different way. That is to say, Keg Smash, BoK, Jab Jab, Purifying Brew, Keg Smash, Guard, and keep the rotation in that way, so every 3 instances the Purifying Brew is used, but Shuffle keeps a nice uptime, and Guard is always used on cooldown. Thoughts on this??
The only reason paladins used that rotation is because that was how their cooldowns fit. Our rotation isn't constrained by cooldowns, but by the situation. I don't think it would be the best idea because it completely ignores reacting to the situation/preparing for upcoming situations, which is what brewmasters should be doing.
Agreed w/ Boozette. Monks are a very malleable tank and that should be taken advantage of.
10/03/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Rijdot
But you are missing out a ton of Elusive Brew stacks with 2h.

You're not. They're just intermittent. Keep testing and you'll find they even out over time.

If they don't, they're going against design intent.

I am not seeing the evening out part through testing. Will let you know tonight how it goes but 15 minute tests on the dummies (I know, dummies) sees Elusive brew stacks can actually fall off while using a 2h before gaining another stack, which in turn delays the ability to gain the benefits of the buff.

Last night I had a 71-84% uptime over the course of the night for Elusive Brew using 1h and the 1st 4 bosses. This takes in account time off the bosses in a barrier, misc add switching, etc. That isn't bad considering. Can it improve, I think so. I don't see a 2hander being viable because I will see drops on the dummy causing you to rebuild stacks.
I found using a 2h never felt particularly good with Elusive Brew. Stacks felt really streaky.
The only advantage I found testing 2h vs dw beta and reacting on live is the raw stat increase on 2h. I found my damage was lower I felt squishier and just slower in general brew stacks definitely moved a lot slower on 2h. Dw flows better and feels smoother
In my testing the DW/2h procs were so close that it really comes down to more tertiary decisions such as:
  • dual enchants
  • loot availability (do you have rogues, or feral druids? etc.)
  • Aesthetic preference. I really did roll this class to be a cow tanking with a staff
  • Just wanted to say I love your blog, and I love this post. You single handedly have convinced me to reroll from Blood DK and Prot Warrior to Brewmaster Monk.

That said, i find that i'm suffering a little bit from tunnel vision watching power auras to make sure my Shuffle stays above 5sec duration, and this effects me noticing GoTO balls on the ground when i'm hurt.

What would you recommend to fix this? If I don't have a PA up, i find myself losing shuffle too much.
    Has anyone else noticed that Glyph of Jab is providing less Elusive Brew stacks for 2h? I glyphed Jab for show... because why not, and now I'm only getting 2 stacks per crit, compared to the 3 I was getting beforehand.

I've also started gemming more towards crit/haste after hitting/nearly hitting the hit/expertise caps. I'm at a solid 12 energy per second due to haste, and am considering starting to move more into agi and stam rather than haste. I've also been wanting to check in to DW tanking. I often find myself in an abundance of GotO spheres, even picking them up after getting hit. If this is the case, is there any reason not to go DW?
    In my opinion, do not discount mastery. It's alot per 1%, but every 1% is dramatic, it in effects remove the damage from the encounter.

Right now I'm sitting on 50-51% Stagger at any given time and I'm only getting hit for at max 10% of my health total on bosses. I have more than enough CHII generation to Purify the stagger off. Most of the time now I don't even have to expel harm or guard since I've gone heavy mastery.

*Edit, not sure why it shows me 89 when I'm 90 in nearly full 463/470 gear.
    Thanks for the guide! It's been very informative and has given me plenty of insight as to what to do/expect as a brewmaster tank.
    10/07/2012 10:25 AMPosted by Forceabull
    I'm only getting hit for at max 10% of my health total on bosses.

Heroic bosses or raid bosses? Heroic bosses are nothing like the raid bosses, so if you are referring to the heroics, try out the raids before fully deciding that mastery is king for you.

EDIT: @Moo, there isn't really any reason NOT to go one way or another with the weapon choices. It really is personal preference, or dictated by drops (like it was for me). I am enjoying DW, but I haven't had a chance to test 2h due to the lack of drops =(
    Healing Talent Tier:

Do not dismiss Chi Wave. As the OT on Feng and tanking Gara'jal with regular swaps, I found this to be much more useful than Zen Sphere in terms of helping heal the raid, thus giving precious mana and time to heal me to the healers. Even detonating the Zen Sphere was inferior.

Specifically on Gara'jal, while the other tank is tanking for more than a full minute, you can stack shuffle up to about 30 full seconds. Then, when your turn to tank and the vengeance kicks in, you can Chi Wave on cooldown for 30-40k heals bouncing around. Loss of the Blackout Kicks is no problem with Shuffle stacked up. Healers will thank you with all the Voodoo Doll damage going out that you are able to heal up. Just let your other tank go first so you can stack your Shuffle up.

On Feng, I was able to save up some Chi for Epicenter and spend it on Chi Wave, also, since I was only taking the boss long enough for the MTs stacks to drop, I was able to dump some Chi into this as needed.

On stone guards... it doesn't even matter, I never had free Chi to spare on either as the MT. So on 3/6 of the fights I have done so far, I have only used Chi Wave. I predict I will be using it on Spirit Kings too.