Contemplating Race Change to Human...

Priest
Hello all. Please forgive me if this has been covered time and time again. But I've been reading and scouring the forums and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. My main is a Disc (sometimes Holy) priest. I do play shadow at times for pure fun or leveling - but let's not think of that spec for now. I'm talking to you as a HEALER - PVE (not PVP)

As we all know our mana regen is AWFUL. Yep. I'm speccing for, enchanting for, eating food and drink for, AND EVEN SELLING my soul for SPIRIT as I progress and gear up. And I find myself considering changing to human for the spirit bonus AND the rep gains.

1. So in terms of Human vs. Draenei (only) - what are your thoughts or experiences?

2. Can someone explain the human spirit bonus in terms I can understand?
I've seen some charts around and frankly felt frustrated that I didn't quite "get it".

I happen to love BOTH humans and draenei - so the aesthetics and casting themes are fine for me. Right now grinding rep would go much faster and I love the EMFH (for so many situations). And no I am NOT considering gnome, worgen, night elf, or panda. This is strictly about possibly going draenei to human.

This girl is my main and I ADORE her - I'm determined to beat the odds and be a strong priest in this expansion. So your time, consideration and help is truly appreciated.
My advice is never to pick a race for their racial abilities. Choose whichever looks the best or feels more right.

With that out of the way, if you enjoy the look and feel of both equally, the human racials are a cut above dranei for obvious reasons.

Spirit is crucial, faster reputation is convenient, and the CC break in PvE may change the way you view certain encounters for the better. You're 1% hit increase is great, but the heal is redundant and ease of access to JC is largely insignificant (especially if you aren't a JC!).
I've seen some charts around and frankly felt frustrated that I didn't quite "get it".

It's +3%. Every point of spirit on your gear may as well say 1.03 instead of 1. For instance, you'd have 3200 spirit right now instead of 3113, gaining 87 spirit out of the deal.
@Belren I feel the same way about racials. Which is why I posted that I happen to love both human and draenei :) Thank you for your feedback.

It's +3%. Every point of spirit on your gear may as well say 1.03 instead of 1. For instance, you'd have 3200 spirit right now instead of 3113, gaining 87 spirit out of the deal.

I hadn't put in terms of the 1.03 in my brain - duh. That makes perfect sense - thank you.
I remember always keeping my Vicious Gladiator's Medallion of Meditation on hand to equip on my priest if I knew that such CC effects could potentially be disastrous in PvE, like against Ozruk in Stonecore. Sometimes the DoTs I need to cast to counter his instagib effect just go on a train of misses. You can keep that trinket or whatever its MoP equivalent is similarly handy if you're know you'll be hurting for the human racial in a certain encounter.

As far as race changing, it's your money. I'd rather use the price of race changing to have 2 month's worth of subscription. I rerolled my human priest to a dwarf when racial spells were the buzz, Stoneform broke out of a rogue's Blind, and the human racial Perception (and Feedback) was weak. Years later, the joke is on me and now I have two priests to level to 90. At the very least I'm rolling one as Disc/Shadow and the other as Holy/Shadow so they feel significantly different.

If you're going to try to play on small racial advantages to your class (I would consider the ones between Human and Draenei small in the long run) you're going to be race changing every time Blizzard tries to balance racials. For what it's worth, GotN is a versatile healing ability since it's instant, completely off the GCD and is a 20% of target health heal.
Thank you @Misdirectomy for your feedback. I realize that it isn't only about racials in this game. I generally play what I like to watch and for the feel of it. However, as we move into this expansion I'm looking at the big picture. Spirit is so important. Getting Rep is so important. I hate being stunned to hell and back.

Luckily I love both the humans and the draenei races and their casting / combat themes etc.!

I've actually been considering the race change for probably 6 months - it just has really kind of come to the forefront here with this expansion. And so I was looking for other priests feedback.

I do wonder if any priests here have gone from one race to human as heals and found it much improved? Thanks!
I have done this. Went gnome at the start of t11 simply because I wanted to try it for a bit. It was "fun" in its own way.

BUT.... the buffs (spirit for human, mana pool for gnome) diminish very quickly in their necessity as you attain gear. By the time I was through t11 (or part way through), it wasn't as important as getting gear upgrades (generally).

So I'd say play what you want to play. Don't feel compelled to race change purely because of a racial.
I know I kind of sound like a negative nancy here, but these are my honest musings:

1. Spirit is important, but the human spirit racial bonus won't exceed a Pandaren's food buff bonus until hitting 10,000(!) Spirit. I believe even the Gnome's mana pool bonus comes ahead of the Human Spirit bonus in terms of regeneration if you make use of % based regeneration abilities as often as you should be. Reference thread is here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6019532858

2. Rep grinds are a consistent chore in WoW progression, but I've never found myself so short on reputation farming that I wasn't going to hit exalted on the current factions just going about my daily business as usual. Unless it's an alt that doesn't get played often, or Vanilla/tBC where the rep grinds were arduous nightmares. Back then, there were threads about rep grinds and the human racial was spoken of being "indirectly nerfed" because rep grinds were made much easier somewhere in tBC. Also gotta remember the Horde get by just fine without this racial anywhere to them.

3. If you take PvP seriously, having the PvP dispel trinket is absolutely not negotiable (unless you're Human). EMFH's benefit is consistent freedom of your second trinket slot, not preventing CC effects because you should otherwise have the trinket on.