Diablo 3

Games, Gaming and Hardware
No it's a pretty decent game, i definitely got my money out of it.

It doesn't have the same feel of must keep grinding for forever that D1 and D2 had though, from what i understand blizzard made some tweeks that help at end game but i stopped playing before that patch when i hit inferno mode.
10/01/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Fahzhi
It's not a terrible game, just highly disappointing for one that was in development for 10 years.

Not strictly true.

D3 wasn't in continual development. The original D3 was canned when Blizzared North was dissolved. Remember, Blizzard bought Condor largely on the strength of D1. They were the developer of the Diablo IP. What we now call D3 isn't what they were working on (though I'm sure it used assets from the Blizz North project).

Of course, we'll never know the exact details, but it wasn't a continual 10 year development cycle.
10/01/2012 11:08 AMPosted by Rashadril
Of course, we'll never know the exact details, but it wasn't a continual 10 year development cycle.

Perhaps not continual, but the point is they had the resources behind them, and an IP they knew would (and did) sell like hotcakes. The game should have been more feature-rich, and more polished at release.
09/28/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Tomac
You end up farming gold in order to buy gear from the AH. It's not that much fun really...unless you've got friends to farm with.

Let me fix this.

"You end up farming gold in order to buy gear from the ah. It's not that much fun when you go to the AH, and there's nothing there. You then have to decide to drop upwards of 250$ for gear to progress through the last half of inferno."
You most certainly do not need $250 to progress through anything. I've cleared Inferno in about 1.5 million worth of gear. Best in slot gear is expensive, sure, but hardly necessary to kill bosses. Diablo 3 is a good game. In terms of value for money, $60 (probably cheaper now) for 100 hours or so of fun sounds pretty damn good to me. Considering a standard console game is $100 for 10 hours of gameplay plus multiplayer which gets old equally as fast.
The biggest problem I see is that in D1 and D2 you could complete the game with gear that you got as drops yourself. You didn't need to trade gear or spend real money on it. D3, you have to farm money to buy gear to be able to progress. There is no other option. The drops are just that poor. I am pretty sure my wizard had no piece of gear equipped that dropped for her when I quit. I was still working my way through act 3 of inferno difficulty.
10/02/2012 07:01 AMPosted by Sherri
The biggest problem I see is that in D1 and D2 you could complete the game with gear that you got as drops yourself. You didn't need to trade gear or spend real money on it. D3, you have to farm money to buy gear to be able to progress. There is no other option. The drops are just that poor. I am pretty sure my wizard had no piece of gear equipped that dropped for her when I quit. I was still working my way through act 3 of inferno difficulty.

Does anybody remember those "T R A D I N G P O S T" servers? Anyone?

I feel like I'm the only one here who knew about the trading in D2... Oh and the gear-spammers, lots of them. >_>
An interesting thread about the joys of trading/bartering in D2:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/10pex6/my_experience_with_d2jsp/

While I never traded or bartered in D2, I'd heard horror stories. Players decry Diablo 3's AHs, but the alternative would be much worse. And, again, hopefully this next patch will address D3's frustrating drop rates.
As long as there's crap like str bows and dex wands drops will continue to be awful. I mean, why do class specific items roll stats that are useless for that class?

Affixes like pick-up radius, reduced level requirement are stupid.

The the importance of AR, crit chance and crit damage makes items without them less valuable or nigh useless.
10/02/2012 12:41 PMPosted by Aesix
Arent most diablo type games like this? Most drops are useless, you grind for the rare drop?

The concept is the same but it was poorly executed in D3 due to how the loot is randomly generated. This leads to the vast majority of drops being poorly itemized crap. Need a new bow? Well first you have to pray for a bow to drop, that it actually rolls stats your class wants and then pray even harder that those stats are actually good enough to be an upgrade.

It's really exhausting and not fun playing for weeks and never having a single upgrade drop forcing you to resort to the AH for upgrades.
10/02/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Aesix
This is fixed now?

No.
It bears mentioning that Torchlight II has been receiving pretty good reviews from players and critics so far, and is also pretty cheap ($25 I think?). And no, I've never played it or it's predecessor, so I'm not a "fanboi".
10/02/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Fahzhi
It bears mentioning that Torchlight II has been receiving pretty good reviews from players and critics so far, and is also pretty cheap ($25 I think?). And no, I've never played it or it's predecessor, so I'm not a "fanboi".

I think a lot of the good reviews are because:

1. It's not Diablo 3;

2. It's made by some of the devs from the old Blizzard North who made D1 and D2; and

3. It's not Diablo 3.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. It's actually pretty good, especially for $20. But it's not the superstupdendousawesomepwningallnoobs game that some have made it out to be.

For me, though, TL2 not as interesting as Diablo 3. I get restless and a little bored with it after an hour or so. Yes, the maps are random, but the scenery--and the dungeons--all have a sameness to them, and there's no depth to either the story or the art. But then, it is a budget game, so it's more than good enough for what it is.

On the other hand, I have never become bored with Diablo 3. Frustrated, heck yes. Seriously frustrated. But never bored, even after months of playing it.
Yes and Yes.

The biggest problem with the game is that 99% of drops are absolutely useless crap.

You end up farming gold in order to buy gear from the AH. It's not that much fun really...unless you've got friends to farm with.

They can add as much "end game" content as they want. It's not gonna fix the design flaws in classes and the loot system.

Arent most diablo type games like this? Most drops are useless, you grind for the rare drop?

Yes they play to the gamblers addiction in people, unfortunately diablo 3 had too low of a reward rate to keep people hooked. D1 and D2 had loot tuned to the point where you got an "OO.. shiny new thing" feel often enough to keep people playing, D3 had too much worthless crap to the point where you stopped even hoping for an upgrade and hence stopped playing.