Illidan should totally be redeemed as a monk.

Story Forum
1 2 3 7 Next
Damn right I'm trite enough to go there.

1) Fighting style. Illidan's fighting style is all about weaving in and out of melee/ranged combat, using ranged utility magic to augment his cripple and damage his foes while evading damage.

That is the same fighting style of Monks. No matter the spec(though Mistweaver especially), their style is all about running into combat, hitting the opponent, and then getting out and using utility abilities(such as Spinning Fire Blossom) to control the situation.

Blizzard must have recognized this similarity, because there are two Master Cheng NPCs on the Peak of Serenity. One is a female Blood Elf, and the other is a Pandaren. The Pandaren Cheng makes a comment that he has always dreamed of being a Demon Hunter, while talking about the other Cheng(implying that she was once training at the Black Temple with the other Blood Elven initiates in TBC).

2) It is the kind of thing Illidan needs to redeem himself. Thematically, monks are also about achieving enlightenment and perfecting their martial prowess, whether it's through the constant training at the Peak of Serenity or exploring the world. Anyone can choose to follow the path, but Illidan especially would fit it like a glove.

A large reason for this is also because of Illidan's theme from his introduction in WCIII through it's expansion and TBC: Inner-turmoil. He's a very conflicted person who doesn't know how to think. He's intellectually intelligent, but is completely lacking in wisdom.

He's always concerned himself with showing up his brother, "winning" Tyrande, and getting revenge on Maeiv. He thinks outwardly too much, concerning himself with the ways other people look at him. But the Monk style of living is all about thinking inward, and it would be a very interesting story for Illidan.

He can't control the way others think, but he can control himself--and so the Monk path would be a good one for him.

3) Night Elves have a Japanese influence to them as well. You see it a bit in their architecture(also influenced by Romans). Blizzard also said that was one of the influences they had for the Night Elves. So mixing the race's theme with martial arts has always made sense...in fact I would say that was one of the ideas behind designing Demon Hunter's in the first place.

More than that, Night Elves are the only playable race that actually had decent relations with the Pandaren at some point. Possibly even while Illidan was alive as a child.

4) Illidan needs to get away from Arcane magic. Period. It's the one thing that screws him over every time he enters the story.

He thought by obtaining more arcane power and by learning the Legion's tricks, he could defeat them. His gambit failed when he didn't tell anybody he was entering Azshara's service as a double agent.

He thought by "polluting" the water above Mt.Hyjal he was helping everyone and himself out. Turns out that was a life sentence in prison.

He thought by consuming the Skull of Gul'dan he'd be doing everyone a favour. But as Malfurion said, it wasn't worth doing it at the cost of his soul.

By entering Kil'Jaedan's service to get more magic power, he got himself in quite a pickle being made to take down the Scourge.

He thought using the Eye of Sargeras to take down Icecrown was a good idea. People disagreed. Spirits disagreed. Worse, Faerie Dragons disagreed, and you don't want to see those guys get vicious.

He thought taking in the Blood Elves and teaching them how to deal with magic addiction was a beneficial thing. Turns out he turned the entire race into arcane crack addicts who betrayed him for more crack. The last we saw of Kael'thas, he looked like a crack addict to the most comical degree.

GET THE GUY AWAY FROM ARCANE MAGIC. You don't give crack to an addict. It's mean. Besides, having Illidan adopt the mantra of "Stay away from arcane magic, or at least use it responsibly" would be an interesting reversal of his previous incarnations.

5) It would give MoP/Monks future development after this expansion. Let's face it. I think right now a lot of people feel as I do, that this is a "side expansion". When it's over, we'll have Pandaren who will get next to no story development, a continent we've left behind and a big grinning morale to the story of why fighting and hating is bad.

At best, Blizzard can use characters such as Aysa moving forward to keep their story around, but by and large the Pandaren will be done with in the story once this expansion is over with. But by introducing Monk characters outside of the race, by making a prominent lore figure adopt the style, they can continue the classes lore development going forward(maybe even throw arcane magic into the combat, like with Runemasters from the RPG?).
Illidan is dead, and should stay so.
And yet he won't, because we were told he won't.
What? I haven't read the entire thing and nor do I need to. Draile, this new expansion has corrupted you beyond recognition. Guys there's no redemption for this poor fellow, the only redemption that he can get is burning on the stake. Come on let's get him!!!
09/29/2012 11:33 AMPosted by Draile
b]4) Illidan needs to get away from Arcane magic.

This won't happen. Illidan has always been about seeking greater power through magic.
You people don't seem to realize that Chris Metzen said he wants to bring Illidan back and redeem him.

Since then it's just been a question of how and when.

No. No. No.

I'm all for Illidan coming back, but that's just stupid.
You people don't seem to realize that Chris Metzen said he wants to bring Illidan back and redeem him.

Illidan's problem isn't that he was a Demon Hunter, or that he had the hots for Arcane Magic.

It was that he went !@#$ing crazy after the fight with Arthas.
09/29/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Jhanzy
Or maybe that was the Skull of Gul'dan influencing him and once he parts with it he'll regain his sanity. Hell, maybe he just goes to Pandaria and purges himself of it, stranger things have happened.

Or maybe we have no solid evidence to that effect. Maybe he legitimately lost his mind after he lost to Arthas and was stabbed by Frostmourne.

Here's an idea - Maybe he actually lost his soul in the fight with Arthas, and only his unusual state as a part-Demon allowed him to continue living past that point. Perhaps, by defeating the Lich King and freeing the souls of those that were trapped within Frostmourne, we inadvertently paved the way for Illidan's return.
09/29/2012 11:46 AMPosted by Velarin

No. No. No.

I'm all for Illidan coming back, but that's just stupid.
You should probably give a good reason as to why not. Draile gave his on why it should. Saying no and calling this theory stupid is just idiotic. In detail please.
09/29/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Heon
Illidan is dead, and should stay so.

You realize this world is filled with ghosts? Do you just pretend they're not there?
Nevermind, rhetorical question.

Illidan as a monk? I can dig it. I've been fancying something demon huntery with monks and have enjoyed the monk NPC chatter alluding to them.
b]4) Illidan needs to get away from Arcane magic.

This won't happen. Illidan has always been about seeking greater power through magic.
Not exactly. That's really simplifiing the character in an unjust way.
He's got issues that are a bit more complex than that. The lust for power was a symptom. He is a conflicted being. Whether he's kidding himself or not just to excuse his actions, he has been a very conflicted character with the need to have his people's acceptance as well as their adoration.

Illidan was never a black and white bad guy.
09/29/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Velarin
Or maybe that was the Skull of Gul'dan influencing him and once he parts with it he'll regain his sanity. Hell, maybe he just goes to Pandaria and purges himself of it, stranger things have happened.

Or maybe we have no solid evidence to that effect. Maybe he legitimately lost his mind after he lost to Arthas and was stabbed by Frostmourne.

Here's an idea - Maybe he actually lost his soul in the fight with Arthas, and only his unusual state as a part-Demon allowed him to continue living past that point. Perhaps, by defeating the Lich King and freeing the souls of those that were trapped within Frostmourne, we inadvertently paved the way for Illidan's return.

That's an interesting take I would enjoy seeing explored.

I fancy the idea that Guldan's skull along with the other demonic infusements he's endured have led to his soul being in a sense, bound to the Legion or their neighborhood in the Great Dark Beyond.

I like to imagine when Maive killed him (with decapitation) that Kiljaden or his stand in plucked Illidan's soul as it drifted from the boundaries of Outland, and after KJ's defeat at the Sunwell he's been doing things to Illidan that make what he did to Nerzhul pale in comparison.

It's my pet idea I look for excuses to share.

Perhaps Illidan is made into a full demon, fallen. Perhaps he learns info on Sargeras and his return to Azeroth and information on Azeroth's importance to the grand scheme of things, and he seeks to warn Azeroth as a start to his redemption?

I think enduring agony for multiple years and having your soul tortured could change a lot of people.
09/29/2012 12:00 PMPosted by Butterfreezi
You should probably give a good reason as to why not. Draile gave his on why it should. Saying no and calling this theory stupid is just idiotic. In detail please.

Fair enough.

First of all, I like the idea of having Illidan look inward, and "finding himself", in a way. Potentially, it's very interesting.

However, i'm against this for two main reasons -

1. Thematics.

A. To practically the entire playerbase, Illidan is the Demon Hunter. If Blizzard were to try and make him into a Monk - The newest class, spearheaded by those "silly pandas" - People would throw a fit.

B. Making Illidan into a Monk would practically override his entire character. Character growth is fine, great even, but Drailen is asking Illidan to completely give up everything that has ever defined his character, in order to "redeem" him, when it's totally unnecessary to the story.

2. Advancement.

Let's say this does happen - What then? Where could the story possibly go from there?

Okay, Illidan has a possible connection to the Pandaren. Great. What then?

Does he still have conflict with Tyrande Malfurion, and the Night Elves? Like Drailen said: Being a Monk requires a level of inner peace, which could very easily dry up the most interesting aspects of Illidan's story.

And what about the Legion? Being a Monk would practically guarantee that Illidan wouldn't be the weapon we'd need him to be in the eventual Legion war. Sure, he could fight, but he wouldn't be half as effective as he could be. Not to mention this would pretty much ensure that a Demon Hunter class is never making it into the game.
09/29/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Elrith
I like to imagine when Maive killed him (with decapitation)

Illidan was talking when he finally died, and Maive was a bit stunned by his speech.

09/29/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Elrith
Perhaps Illidan is made into a full demon, fallen. Perhaps he learns info on Sargeras and his return to Azeroth and information on Azeroth's importance to the grand scheme of things, and he seeks to warn Azeroth as a start to his redemption?

Well, I don't know about that.

The "full Demon" part, specifically.
09/29/2012 12:12 PMPosted by Elrith

Not exactly. That's really simplifiing the character in an unjust way.
He's got issues that are a bit more complex than that. The lust for power was a symptom. He is a conflicted being. Whether he's kidding himself or not just to excuse his actions, he has been a very conflicted character with the need to have his people's acceptance as well as their adoration.

Illidan was never a black and white bad guy.

I was a bit simplistic in describing it that way. I mean that he's not just going to give up on Arcane/fel magic when it has been such a big part of him from the very beginning.

09/29/2012 12:25 PMPosted by Velarin
Thematics.

I agree with you on this part.

Bringing Illidan back is stupidity, in the first place. It's Blizzard caving to the demands of a bunch of people who can't get enough of their silly, "dark and edgy", Byronian super-hero. If they continue doing this, next expansion will have Arthas back and then WoW will become and endless circle in which no new character is ever added, because the main slots shall be always occupied by the "big names".

However, since this is stupidity IS being done, at least do it tight. Make him come back a Demon and make his Redemption a last minute effort to sacrifice himself in order to weaken Kil'Jaeden or something.

But a Monk? A damn Monk? How does he even KNOW of the Monks in the first place?

EDIT: I realize I was unnecessarily aggressive. I apologize. It's just that this "Illidan/Kael/Arthas needs to be back" is grating. It's over. The story has been told. Can't we simply move on?
09/29/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Heon
How does he even KNOW of the Monks in the first place?

He knew Stormstout, with all probability.
09/29/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Heon
Make him come back a Demon and make his Redemption a last minute effort to sacrifice himself in order to weaken Kil'Jaeden or something.

What about having his demon half purged by something?