Queuing as a DPS Mistweaver in a 5 man..

Monk
1 2 3 5 Next
What are your opinions on queuing for 5 mans as a DPS Mistweaver? I have tried this and so far I haven’t received any complaints. I seemed to compliment the main healer and I did enough damage to keep everyone quiet. I did run into a couple of players that demanded me to get in tiger stance. But I told them that I was actually helping out with heals and doing dmg. So they left me alone and let me do my thing. Worked out quite well for the group actually. And I didn’t bother rolling Need on the healing gear because I did feel that it would have been awkward. I just want to know if others have tried this and what do you think about it.
my opinion is it's a shadow priest that does bad dps
In wrath I queued as tank or healer as boomkin and did the entire instance :D I was full icc /ruby herioc though
hmmm, well, the thing is that to do what would be considered to be "good dps" for your level, you need to use abilities which consume Chi... but as a Mistweaver, we generate Chi at 50% of the rate that Windwalkers do.

At lvl 35 it probably doesn't matter too terribly much, but at some point (I couldn't tell you when it'd be) you'll start to see an increasing difference between your dps and the dps that the true dps'ers do. You'll run into groups who are pissy about it sooner or later.

Moreover, there'll equally be groups who are pissy at the poor *healer* because you're effectively sniping his heals and it... makes him look bad for doing very little healing. Now... a little education goes a long way (ie, if this happens, tell the group what you're doing so they understand why the healer's numbers are low), but you generally don't want to step on your healer's toes, and people get butthurt pretty easily when they're put on the defensive by 3 strangers telling them they're a terrible player.
ive been doing this too. ive only had a few groups where idiots got mad... once you get your spinning kick it doesnt matter if you queue as dps, because all that happens is mass pulls with monks using their spin kick to heal and dps. i generally get first or second on dps by just grabbing mass pulls not caring about what the tank wants and aoe healing and dpsing queued as a dps. tanks tend to be the biggest problem with this method though. they seem to think these days in leveling instances that its their job to run the group and control the pace, in reality the tanks only job is to hold aggro on whats around him much like a healer heals people that are hurt and a dps does damage to mobs... tanks these days in high end vanilla / bc instances have been little girls though. had to vote kick quite a few who think they are clever not to tank when we pull.

regardless long story short, monks run instances and if you want to run instances in 5 minutes flat get a brewmaster and 4 mistweavers and just aoe pull everything up to bosses and do it again and again. fastest instances ive ever run.
It'd be like queueing as DPS with a disc priest. Your damage might be good enough initially but it'll taper off sooner or later. And you'll be pretty much doing the healer's job for them for the most part, which makes them pretty much useless unless they have an offspec.

If you want to heal, just queue up as a healer and DPS heal. You'll still get to do your thing, and you won't ruffle any feathers in the process.
well really the only reason i do it is because, for some reason leveling up in instances there seems to be a lack of dps and surplus of healers right now, all my heirloom gear is resto, so not switching that out. ill just dps and get a fast queue rather than wait 20 minutes to heal.
ive been doing this too. ive only had a few groups where idiots got mad... once you get your spinning kick it doesnt matter if you queue as dps, because all that happens is mass pulls with monks using their spin kick to heal and dps. i generally get first or second on dps by just grabbing mass pulls not caring about what the tank wants and aoe healing and dpsing queued as a dps. tanks tend to be the biggest problem with this method though. they seem to think these days in leveling instances that its their job to run the group and control the pace, in reality the tanks only job is to hold aggro on whats around him much like a healer heals people that are hurt and a dps does damage to mobs... tanks these days in high end vanilla / bc instances have been little girls though. had to vote kick quite a few who think they are clever not to tank when we pull.

regardless long story short, monks run instances and if you want to run instances in 5 minutes flat get a brewmaster and 4 mistweavers and just aoe pull everything up to bosses and do it again and again. fastest instances ive ever run.

Bolded the bit that should get you vote-kicked from every group. Behavior like that is exactly why Tank's hate tanking. At level 63, instances aren't that difficult but if you keep that kind of behavior up, you're just being an idiot.

No other way to put this...you're an idiot.

To the OP: just queue as heals. What is the purpose of queuing as dps while in mistweaver? Your SCK is not hitting that hard even in BOA gear. Heal or DPS or GTFO.
I do this once in a while when the healer queue is longer than the dps one. I can hold my own on dps, so it's not really a problem.

I try not to do it much though, considering I know I'll need to compete for loot, which always sucks. Especially that leather caster gear doesn't seem to drop in abundance.

Instances are so ridiculously easy anyways, I don't even understand why anyone would complain, unless the healing specced dps is clearly not contributing. But a pure dps can be just as guilty when it comes to lack of contribution.
At lower levels I was typically top dps as mistweaver, though I queued as healer.
For pre-MoP content, just go for it. Most wont even notice and everything dies fast anyways. Plus the extra off-healing can't hurt.

Once you get to MoP dungeons though, I wouldn't do it anymore.
hmmm, well, the thing is that to do what would be considered to be "good dps" for your level, you need to use abilities which consume Chi... but as a Mistweaver, we generate Chi at 50% of the rate that Windwalkers do.

At lvl 35 it probably doesn't matter too terribly much, but at some point (I couldn't tell you when it'd be) you'll start to see an increasing difference between your dps and the dps that the true dps'ers do. You'll run into groups who are pissy about it sooner or later.

Moreover, there'll equally be groups who are pissy at the poor *healer* because you're effectively sniping his heals and it... makes him look bad for doing very little healing. Now... a little education goes a long way (ie, if this happens, tell the group what you're doing so they understand why the healer's numbers are low), but you generally don't want to step on your healer's toes, and people get butthurt pretty easily when they're put on the defensive by 3 strangers telling them they're a terrible player.

3 different groups I was #1 dps in MoP heroics and was the healer. Our dmg scales very well.

However to the OP. There is no reason to que as dps as a mistweaver, it doesn't make sense.
10/02/2012 12:50 AMPosted by Huanglo
However to the OP. There is no reason to que as dps as a mistweaver, it doesn't make sense.

There is. The dps queue is shorter.
10/02/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Ambooh

What?

The DPS Que has never been shorter then a healer or tank.

Tanks = instant 99% of the time

healer = 1-4 mins 90% of the time

DPS = 10-20 mins
What?

DPS = 10-20 mins

At max level this is true. While levelling this is not the case.

I queue as a tank/healer on my monk, and for the last 20-30 levels I've had between ten and thirty minute queues.

I'll often queue for a dungeon as soon as I level, and I'll reach the next level before the queue pops, which ends up in my automatically dropping the queue.
i generally get first or second on dps by just grabbing mass pulls not caring about what the tank wants and aoe healing and dpsing queued as a dps. tanks tend to be the biggest problem with this method though. they seem to think these days in leveling instances that its their job to run the group and control the pace, in reality the tanks only job is to hold aggro on whats around him much like a healer heals people that are hurt and a dps does damage to mobs... tanks these days in high end vanilla / bc instances have been little girls though. had to vote kick quite a few who think they are clever not to tank when we pull.

You and people like you are the sole reason there is a shortage of tanks at the level cap. After 70-80 levels of dealing with this, we've all had it with people being complete pr!cks. If you want to pull, time machine back to Vanilla and play a hunter, or just play one now and ask if the tank doesn't mind you MDing pulls to him. Your job as a DPS is to kill what the tank is keeping aggro on. If you pull before the tank, have fun with your repair bill.

I can't tell you how many instances I've been in and dealt with this. "You're not pulling fast enough, if you want to level fast gotta move fast." Yes, I understand this mentality, but when I'm already chain pulling 4-6 packs of 3-5 mobs each time, you can wait 10 seconds before I pull the next group.

Needless to say, I'm glad I am dual boxing with RaF, less time having to play with people like that and I can practically vote kick people all by myself.
10/02/2012 08:20 AMPosted by Huanglo

What?

DPS = 10-20 mins

"I'll make a tank or healer monk, because queues are instant since everyone else will be DPS."

And that's how you get faster DPS queues. It's not uncommon to see healers/tanks change specs after joining an instance, or even play those roles because they thought that's what the group assigned them. Not that it matters much in leveling content, everything is faceroll if the group has half a clue.

Yes, that includes Healers who DPS.

What?

DPS = 10-20 mins

This is true at max level, yes, as many tanks just don't want to tank max level content, and healers might find healing max level content more difficult, so they prefer to dps it.

But at low level, there's a lot more healers(and a lot more available tanks too), so there's more competition to get in queue. This the first time we get a new class that can do all three roles. So this has an effect on queues.

I've waited 5+ minutes as a healer before, left the queue, queued as a dps, and got in instantly.