Farmers are exploiting 'Forfeit'

Pet Battles
A single exploiter can clear ENTIRE areas of slow spawning pets in a matter a minutes by exploiting the Forfeit system.

They enter battle and run the macro to see if any rares are present. If not they simply forfeit the game and go on to the next battle. I watched an 85 warlock clean out every sporeling (densely packed, slow spawning) in under 3 minutes.

I don't have an issue with the macros or UI's to indicate pet quality. But forfeiting needs to impose a penalty, like a 5 minute cooldown on new pet battles, or this is only going to get worse.

Finding a rare is still dependent on the RNG, but this gives the exploiter far more RNG attempts while 'normal' players are slowly battling through each fight.
I think there's a good chance Blizz will break the addons that tell you the pets rarity before you capture it. Until then, might as well grab what you can
09/29/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Sineval
I think there's a good chance Blizz will break the addons that tell you the pets rarity before you capture it. Until then, might as well grab what you can

Unlikely, as they built it right into the API. Additionally, even if that info wasn't directly available, Addons could always use the stats of a pet to match with the nature (ie state distribution) of an enemy pet and make an educated guess based on baseline stats of poor quality for a given nature.
as a farmer trust me once u are there long enough u dont even need the addon anymore

i can just look at a pet and know if its rare or not base on its stats
You dont need a addon just look at there health.
09/29/2012 10:49 AMPosted by Workwork
You dont need a addon just look at there health.

I love when I see a post like this.

For about a thousand reasons relating to stat distributions, this is a very bad way to do it.

Just get the addon.
It's not a bad way. If there is a rare with less health than a common or poor, I don't want it no matter how "hot" its other stats are.
So it's an exploit to try and find a good quality pet by hitting forfeit on the garbage quality pets?

Yea... no.
09/29/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Treeborn
For about a thousand reasons relating to stat distributions, this is a very bad way to do it.

Really?

Because by judging from health alone, I've caught about 5 rares.

I didn't even know an add-on existed.
You will find rares by looking at the health, but the problem is that not all rare pets have high health. Some may have more stats put into attack, for example, and have a relatively low HP pool. If you only look at the HP values, then you've missed this rare. Also, as I will explain below, you don't necessarily want high-HP pets:

The stat distribution for a pet is set up such that there is no "perfect pet" - a pet cannot get high attack, high speed, and high HP all at the same time. A wild pet with really high Attack will therefore have lower speed and HP. It's a little more complicated than that, but it's easiest to think of it as one of three stats will be higher than the other two. The key to catching a good pet is not only to find a rare one, but to also find one that has a high value for your desired stat.

HP sounds like a good stat, but in the current metagame, speed is truly king. Spamming the level 1, 20-base-damage skill will kill the opponent in five turns (aka 5TK), assuming equal rarity. A good pet or strategy can cut this down to four or even three turns by averaging 25 or 33 DPT, respectively. If there's only four turns in a 1v1 fight, then the faster pet will have 4 turns and the slower will have just 3. This means that the faster pet gets 133% as many turns as the slower pet. That's huge. You may say that a 1v1 fight is unrealistic, and it is, but remember that if your opponent switches, they've just lost a turn doing nothing. Speed will always generate turn advantage, either through killing the opponent or forcing a switch. It's a much bigger gain than the small increases that Attack or HP provide. Only in very select circumstances does a high Attack allow you to get a 4TK instead of a 5TK, and even more rarely will your HP cause the opponent to get a 5TK instead of a 4TK. Speed nearly always provides an advantage - HP and Attack rarely do.

Not to mention how CC works right now. If a faster pet uses a stun, then the opponent will be unable to act on both that turn and the next one. Whereas if a slower pet uses a stun, then the opponent will only be unable to act on the next turn. This is called double-stunning, and it's the reason why CC is very strong for fast pets, such as flying-types. Although the opponent can switch out of a stun, they're out the turn either way. Because of double-stunning, it's very important to maximize your Speed IV (IV, or Individual Value, is essentially a hidden value that determines how strong a pet's stat is) even if you aren't planning on using CC.

Some pets are best if they're slow. Certain skills do more damage if they go last. In this case, it might be best to find a pet with high HP or Attack. In other cases, such as with flying-types, you will almost always outspeed the opponent anyway; in this case you might want to consider Attack or HP instead (although imho I'd still go with Speed). These cases are rare, however, and most of the time it's not worth using these pets anyway because going for low Speed is a poor strategy.

This is why I recommend the addon, or at the very least, to look at Speed instead of HP. The right stat distribution is just as important as whether or not the pet is Rare, so you shouldn't take it lightly. Consider the pet and your team when you decide whether you want fast or slow, and get a very high or very low speed accordingly (most of the time you want fast).
I don't get why OP is mad are they even really farmers (they can't sell the pet!)
So it's an exploit to try and find a good quality pet by hitting forfeit on the garbage quality pets?

Yea... no

I say NO the OP is just hating.
I'm not saying that high HP =/= rare, but rather that high Anything == rare, and you're missing out on potentially some of the best rares by only looking at the HP. See above post.
There is a macro that tells you as well.

They don't care if you use an addon.
They don't care if you use the macro they allowed throug beta either.
How is it an exploit to use the Forfeit option for its purpose -- to escape battle? I don't want to waste my gaming time by fighting pets that I know aren't rare/blue. Just like skipping trash mobs in instances to down a boss and loot it, I should be able to skip trash pets.
I started out with the stats that were the highest pet stats in my inventory crimpson whelpling, nuts and the voodoo figurine. that being said if the pet has higher hitpoints than mine its gonna be a rare ... and I never am wrong