whoever thought of no flight til 90 in mop...

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
Mandatory appreciation of story and scenery?

I'll say it again. If they let you fly at 85 then running around on your ground mound would still be a perfectly viable option for those who want to enjoy story and scenery from the ground level perspective.

Seems most of us responding like it better when at least the first time it's mandatory. By your logic, why not just make leveling optional altogether? For those that like it they can still level, but for people like the Op he can just skip the process altogether so that he doesn't have to watch Netflix on his Iphone too much.

Mandatory enforcement of some mechanics is an enjoyed aspect of most rpgs. You have to level up before doing end-game content, you have to do dungeons and raids to get gear, you have to pvp before getting pvp gear, etc. And yes, for the most part players want that, otherwise why would they be playing this in the first place?

10/01/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Gunny
It comes down to options. Forcing people to enjoy something they don't necessarily enjoy doesn't seem like good design to me

When it's only a minority that's complaining and the rest like that mandatory enforcement, it does seem good game design. If everything in this game was completely optional and we could skip through whatever we wanted, it really wouldn't be as fun or popular as it is now, at least not for most players.
I didn't find it to be an over-annoyance...but the idea of 'earning' the flight ability in pandaria is a stretch.

I didn't feel like I 'earned' anything. It was more "Grats on 90, here is your flying...we kind of wanted to get it to you sooner, but then you would of been 90 in about 9-12 hours."

Then again, I've been playing since classic...flying mounts have always been about convenience, not necessity.
Quit crying. It's much better this way.
I love it. Cataclysm was the only expansion you weren't restricted to ground mounts at the start for (which made sense), and I honestly missed it. Being on ground-level and experiencing the layout, the roads, feeling more connected to the area you're in, seeing something amazing and wondrous appear slowly over the horizon as you ride up... I really enjoyed Wrath a lot, but I've not been this enamored with a sense of 'world' since BC.

I get that it's different for everyone, but for me games are experiences. Flying is certainly convenient, but you do lose something by just immediately being able to bypass the rules and confines of the world by zipping around wherever you like. I like that it's an earned privilege, and I have not minded a single second of my earning it.

but wrath was alot more alt friendly, i understand us having to do it on the first toon but as soon as alts get involved with that brutal (and yes its brutal) grind to level (and the grind is far from over then too, with 2 hours a day worth of dailies for EVERY toon, 2 alts makes 6 hours a day worth of dailies)
I loved the leveling experience, as grindy as it was. The world designers put a lot of work into designing Pandaria, and I'm glad a lot of people got to really see it. Kind of hard to appreciate the lush landscape from 300 yards in the air!
How did these people survive before flying even existed in game?

It was the same for a bit in BC, it was the same even longer in Wrath. How can you not be used to this already?
10/01/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Viciall
You're too lazy to use a 100% ground mount. TOO LAZY TO HOLD W TO GET PLACES.

Kun'lai(sp) summit was amazing to ride my goat up. I actually went too fast at one part and fell of the mountain...

Having been up a few real mountains, I can tell you it felt similar on the way up :)
Noob... they did this for ground mounts in vanilla, flying mounts in BC, flying in NR. Only reason they did not do it for Cata was because it involved the entire old world.

E: They lower it a few months after the expansion when everyone typically has a 90 and has done the content.

i played in vanilla and hated the extreme grind factor, i have 4 85s. having EVERYTHING gated=questing 100% of the time JUST to be able to get gear....

You hate the grind, but you're playing a MMO? Am I missing something here? These devs didnt spend years of work on this continent for you to blow over it and never even look at it. Enjoy it for what it* is.

*-an extremely well done, beautiful continent.
10/01/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Nixilaas
but wrath was alot more alt friendly, i understand us having to do it on the first toon but as soon as alts get involved with that brutal (and yes its brutal) grind to level (and the grind is far from over then too, with 2 hours a day worth of dailies for EVERY toon, 2 alts makes 6 hours a day worth of dailies)

I think adding a Tome would be cool, but just to ensure we're all remembering history correctly, Tome of Cold Weather Flying wasn't added until patch 3.2. 8 months after release. Not saying it needs to be 8 months again, but I'd (personally) argue it's not something that needs to be available day 1 either.
Ground mounts is fine for the first lvl 90 toon.. as leveling with friends to 90 was cool on ground mounts.. exploring.. Now that I am 90 and want to lvl an alt up quicker, I wish there was a way to send a tome of flying or something like in wrath.... Since my alts will level up solo....
It's clear people like the OP just need a game to sit around a capital city and glace at general chat as he watches Netflix. Sounds like Facebook the MMO.
I enjoyed having to run around, it added to the sense of adventure when questing through new locations.
10/01/2012 10:13 AMPosted by Gargadin
who ever thought it was a good idea needs to quit, i have never played wow angryly in my life til mop. questing is slow as hell when you are FORCED to use 100% mounts vs 280 or 310...... i find myself sitting in sw just dungeon queing atm cause of how bad the travel time is. nerf the xp needed or give us flying at 85

I agree with you. The having to use ground mounts why??? It makes no sense. I played BC got to 70 got my flying okay that was stupid why was not not there as soon as you had the expansion. Then WoTLK, REALLY?? I had to run around again, why? Then Cata and it was like oh hey they learned. Now MoP and its back to the same restarted thing again.
10/01/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Bashiok
Cataclysm was the only expansion you weren't restricted to ground mounts at the start for (which made sense), and I honestly missed it.

Though, even with the Cataclysm zones, I saw a few people choosing to use their ground mount where they could. Even being allowed to fly.
As a cata baby, this is probably my first time doing high level quests rooted to the ground. It was a fun experience and I was on a PvP realm. Arthas server was different though. Both factions really ignored the other, and if there was a random big fight when everyone rezzed, we went our ways again.
10/01/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Bashiok

I think adding a Tome would be cool, but just to ensure we're all remembering history correctly, Tome of Cold Weather Flying wasn't added until patch 3.2. 8 months after release. Not saying it needs to be 8 months again, but I'd (personally) argue it's not something that needs to be available day 1 either.

I would ague your dead wrong. I will just get around your no flying restrictions by using a 2nd account to level my alts on and my 2 person flying dragon to take my alt where ever I need it. I think that indicated the need for this if you have players looking for how to get around this stupid limitation.
Personally, I like travel being hard. If it were up to me, there'd be no portals or flying mounts. (Dark Portal being the obvious exception, mage portals as an exception, and some kind of boat/zepplin travel to pandaria).

I just feel like the world is too small. Too much time was spent creating all these zones that we're now able to fly by, or use a portal to avoid. Obviously dungeon/raid finder contributes to this as well, but I recognize the necessity of this.

I would say that faster ground mounts and faster flight paths would be a necessary tradeoff in the situation.

I recognize I'm in the vast minority on this.
It's not even that hard to get around. The questing layout doesn't leave a whole lot of running from point A to point B for the most part. Does it really matter so much? O_o
omg i am so happy that OP is downvoted. i am so proud you, wow community. no flight literally creates a whole new world by forcing you to engage with the territory. it opens the game up by forcing more interaction and giving you more to contend with, and leaves more to be desired later on when you can fly. i wish all leveling was without flight.