What's next for the Blood Elves?

Story Forum
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
10/04/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Velarin
Being distressed that Kael died =/= Not siding against Kael.

So... where is it stated, again, that Lor'themar did anything to stop Kael'thas after that? I know Liadrinn took action, and went neutral to do so.
So, what, a little humility is a bad thing now?

For a Blood Elf? The race that idealizes magic-sucking and power? The most majestic race in the game? The most powerful spellcasters in Azeroth? Yes, it's a bad thing.

Kael'thas's betrayal was a big blow, and in all reality considering what they've gone through before and after, the Blood Elves shouldn't even be here. The fact that Theron has kept them together and helped them survive is a great testament to his abilities, but we don't actually see that happen, just that the Sin'dorei remain. The battles of Quel'Danas were three expansions ago, equivalent to about ten years I believe, and the Blood Elves are still the same. In actuality this is simply due to the fact that Blizzard hasn't spent any time on them, but lore-wise it isn't good for Theron. I think he's a great guy, and I want to keep him, but no matter how much you develop his character he will never be a strong political genius nor dynamic enough in his actions to be everything the Thalassians need all on his own. And unless something really big happens in his life -like a marriage- he is still going to be at heart what he was all along, a farstrider. Regardless of how many people in game and out refuse to accept that.

And yeah, I'm not aware of Theron doing anything when Kael'thas took the Sunwell. It was the Shattered Sun Offensive who oversaw that, and they were sent by the Sha'tar. Silvermoon afterwards takes over management of the island, but had nothing to do with it's reclaimation. However I don't think that should be pinned on him, they were all devastated in game, and from the standpoint of the developers the presence of Thalassian forces wouldn't have changed the questing line, not that I advocate efficiency over acurracy.
Liadrin represented Silvermoon on Quel'Danas. She did pledge the Blood Knights to the SSOs cause after all, so the Blood Elves of Silvermoon did participate in reclaiming the Sunwell, just not Lort'themar.

My thoughts on his leadership? I don't feel he has much presence himself, and he is the regent ruler of the Blood Elves, which in itself was intended to be temporary. Ultimately, I think things need to change as far as Lor'themar being the sole leader.

I myself would like to see one of two things. Either a Council of Silvermoon, consisting of Lor'themar, Halduron, Rommath, Liadrin, Aethas, and Voren'thal.

Or a new leader installed by Lor'themar, to take a permanent position of leader to the Blood Elves. In this new leader, I'd like to see someone more politically savvy, as well as someone who wouldn't let themselves be pushed around.

I'm fine with Lor'themar continuing his story and everything. but he just hasn't seemed to be very active as leader since he got the Blood Elves inducted into the Horde, while the other faction leaders of the Horde have each been fighting tooth and nail themselves for their people.

I feel he could even have better character development if he went back to just being a Ranger or instating a new Council of Silvermoon.
10/05/2012 01:28 AMPosted by Maihray
The battles of Quel'Danas were three expansions ago, equivalent to about ten years I believe, and the Blood Elves are still the same.

The Third War took place 10 years ago, and the War on the Lich King took place directly after Kael'thas was killed on Quel'danas, as evidenced by Shadow of the Sun. In short, 2-3 years have passed, not 10.

10/05/2012 02:25 AMPosted by Selesnya
Liadrin represented Silvermoon on Quel'Danas.

No, she represented the SSO. She wasn't wearing a Silvermoon City tabard, or a Blood Knight tabard, she was wearing an SSO tabard. Liadrinn revoked all her oaths and vows of loyalty to the Sunstrider Dynasty, in effect meaning she broke ties with Quel'thalas as a Kingdom by refusing to acknowledge its leadership. Despite Kael's actions, he was -still- the Prince of Quel'thalas, ruler of the Kingdom.

Since then she's been at the Sunwell, starting a spiritual movement and spreading a philosophy that originates in the Alliance's races. To call her Horde, let alone a part of Silvermoon, is an extreme fallacy at this point. She is a Sin'dorei. That's about it.
You're right Elenie, I had my dates mixed up. Regardless, my point still stands. The destruction of Quel'thalas happened ten years ago and after a decade of being under Theron's command the place is still a dump.
10/06/2012 01:28 AMPosted by Maihray
You're right Elenie, I had my dates mixed up. Regardless, my point still stands. The destruction of Quel'thalas happened ten years ago and after a decade of being under Theron's command the place is still a dump.

"Still a dump"? Into the Ghostlands maybe, but the rest of Quel'thalas is doing pretty good. Better then everybody being dead or on the run anyway.

As for the current state of Silvermoon - The only reason everything looks like it does is because there hasn't been an update. Nearly all of the kingdom was reclaimed or cleaned out by the end of questing in BC.

10/05/2012 07:38 AMPosted by Elenie
Liadrinn

Liadrin.

Liadrinn revoked all her oaths and vows of loyalty to the Sunstrider Dynasty,

Funny thing about that - All the Sunstriders are dead.

in effect meaning she broke ties with Quel'thalas as a Kingdom by refusing to acknowledge its leadership. Despite Kael's actions, he was -still- the Prince of Quel'thalas, ruler of the Kingdom.

Another funny thing - When someone is setup as Regent Lord of a kingdom, they become de-facto leader of the kingdom. At the point when Liadrin revoked her ties to house Sunstrider, the rest of the Blood Elves were already going against Kael.

Hell, i'm pretty sure he had already been pseudo-killed by then as well.
Are we actually having this discussion on two threads at the same time?

Anyway, as I said Lor'themar had nothing to do with Quel'danas. Liadrin was there as part of the SSO, which was organized by the Sha'tar, to whom she'd sworn the Blood Knights. As far as I know the Blood Knights as an organization are not part of Silvermoon's military. I went into more detail on the other one, but my point is that if they were, Liadrin upon learning what she did from Ad'al would have had to confer with Halduron and then would have only been acting as his emissary. She was not representing Silvermoon or Theron, she was there on her own.

Another funny thing - When someone is setup as Regent Lord of a kingdom, they become de-facto leader of the kingdom. At the point when Liadrin revoked her ties to house Sunstrider, the rest of the Blood Elves were already going against Kael.

And no, up until they became aware of Kael'thas's betrayal the Kingdom was still loyal to him, although Theron was in charge in his absence. The Prince was expected to come back to rule, the Regent Lord was just intended to run things until that happened. After they recieved more information most of the Blood Elves turned against Kael'thas. What state they were in at the time of Liadrin's revoking I'm not sure, but if Silvermoon was still ignorant of Kael'thas's corruption she effectively renounced her alliegence to Quel'thalas.
10/06/2012 04:54 AMPosted by Maihray
As far as I know the Blood Knights as an organization are not part of Silvermoon's military.

"In terms of the sin'dorei military, the Blood Knights have been referred to as 'the backbone of the blood elf army.'"

What state they were in at the time of Liadrin's revoking I'm not sure, but if Silvermoon was still ignorant of Kael'thas's corruption she effectively renounced her alliegence to Quel'thalas.

I'm pretty sure they weren't.

In fact, the entire reason Liadrin went to see A'dal was because Kael'thas had already undertaken his raid on Silvermoon and stolen M'uru.

Edit:

Are we actually having this discussion on two threads at the same time?

Yes, yes we are.
It really wasn't until Kael stole M'uru that Quel'Thalas realised he was... well... Batcrap crazy. Until then, they were still a monarchy with Kael as their expectant (though absent) ruler. The Scryers, or course, defected much earlier, being informed by A'dal of what was going on, but apparently word doesn't travel quickly amongst Blood Elves.

As for what the Blood Elves are going to do now... Well, gradually the corruption from feeding on Fel Magic will fade, since they have the Sunwell again. The Sunstrider dynasty is dead, as far as i know, but the Elves still favor a monarchy, and will likely found another.

In the long run, they will probably revert to their pre-Alliance practice of seclusion, sealing off their borders and doing whatever they wasted 5000 years doing before the Orcs showed up.
10/06/2012 05:11 AMPosted by Caeledor
In the long run, they will probably revert to their pre-Alliance practice of seclusion, sealing off their borders and doing whatever they wasted 5000 years doing before the Orcs showed up.

IIRC that won't be happening, no just because of gameplay mechanics, but also because it was said somewhere that the Sin'dorei now understand that seclusion is not the way to go, and that their alliance to the Horde is pretty much final, again, not just for gameplay reasons.

ps: I could be wrong, I'm no Lore expert.
I know that's the officla Blizzard line, but i firmly beleive it's simply that way for gameplay mechanics. It just doesn't fit the history fo choices Quel'thalas has made. Early humans from Strom helped defeat the Trolls, and Silvermoon shut its borders. The Alliance helped protect Quel'thalas from the devistation of the second war, and Silvermoon shut its borders. Both those situations were far, far worse than what Silvermoon now sees its self in, and theres been no major shift in the social concious of the Elves to warrent a change in tactics.

Of course, that's the writers continuity in me speaking, not Blizzards Races-must-be-even tact going.
I know that's the officla Blizzard line, but i firmly beleive it's simply that way for gameplay mechanics. It just doesn't fit the history fo choices Quel'thalas has made. Early humans from Strom helped defeat the Trolls, and Silvermoon shut its borders. The Alliance helped protect Quel'thalas from the devistation of the second war, and Silvermoon shut its borders. Both those situations were far, far worse than what Silvermoon now sees its self in, and theres been no major shift in the social concious of the Elves to warrent a change in tactics.

Of course, that's the writers continuity in me speaking, not Blizzards Races-must-be-even tact going.

Well, you just posted the reason for the Sin'dorei to stop with the "We'll be better alone." way of thinking.

Every time they shut themselves up they get burned. Somewhere along the way they had to realize that having some real allies is good.

What they had with the humans was always tenuous and when they were read for something more than just some agreement The Alliance blew it with the spies and all.

ps: For me that's the main reason why they joined The Horde. Garithos DOES NOT count cus he was made to be a jerk, so that when Sylvanas killed him nobody would complain.

ps2: Not saying it worked.
The Blood elf regent lord should become king
Slivermoon should be re built
and the Ghost lands should revert back to pine forest the way it was before the elves
Was there a reason this thread was necroed?
assuming Lorthemar dies at the siege of Orgrimmar, I would like to see Eldin Sunstrider return, he'd be the real leader that the blood elves need and it would make interesting storyline for him trying to prove himself, trying to prove to his people he's not like Kael'thas, trying to rebuild the sunstrider dynasty, trying to fill in Lorthemar's shoes and trying to prove himself to not only his people, but to the other horde leaders as well.

or what if Lorthemar survives? then you'd have a VERY interesting power struggle. you'd have people loyal to Lorthemar and other people loyal to Eldin. Eldin being the rightful king of the blood elves and Lorthemar the highest ranking military officer of Quel'Thalas. This could all lead to a civil war in the future, much like the gilnean civil war (genn=eldin, darius=lorthemar)

and there's still the conspiracy theory of aethas being kael'thas in disguise which could lead to god knows what story lines. maybe kael comes back with his burning legion allies and eldin newly crowned king kills him once and for all and proves to the blood elves that he's fit for kingship? what if Kael'thas successfully takes over quel'thalas? what if quel'thalas becomes no longer inhabitable because of the war between kael, eldin and lorthemar?

there's just so much you can do with the blood elves right now and later but I do like the idea of eldin returning just because it gets rid of the current provisional government. also make quel'thalas a flying zone please.
Double necro, nice.
oh, sorry :P
We were more interesting when we were junkies. My warlock would love to be almost demon with all that fel magic.
01/05/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Kaelgos
We were more interesting when we were junkies. My warlock would love to be almost demon with all that fel magic.

....I disagree, I like the way they are now. They have the Sunwell back sure...but.. they seem different then what they were before.
I still think Valeera Sanguinar should be coerced into becoming Queen. Why? Because we need more female leaders in this game. That's why. Not to mention a former thief and murderer trying to adapt to a life of finery and royalty would be lulzy.