Leveling - How long to wear the 'looms'

Monk
So my chest and shoulders stat wise aren't the greatest, however they provide the XP bonus. My question goes out to those Monks that leveled with the looms - when did you toss aside the XP bonus looms for real gear?
10/03/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Acair
So my chest and shoulders stat wise aren't the greatest, however they provide the XP bonus. My question goes out to those Monks that leveled with the looms - when did you toss aside the XP bonus looms for real gear?

Till you can't those looms got me about 30 levels in a day, and once your able to pick up enlightment GG cause things really start to slow down in your 70's and even worse at 80.
Well, the Xp boost stops at 80 for everything other than helm and cloak, so I imagine then.
10/03/2012 12:51 PMPosted by Grymik
Well, the Xp boost stops at 80 for everything other than helm and cloak, so I imagine then.

Stats stop increasing per level at 80 but the XP bonus is still good to go as with the other stats on the item.
Use it till it expires, or 90
My advice - use your shoulders, chest, trinkets, and wep to lvl 80, but FIND REPLACEMENT GEAR before you hit lvl 80.

Yes, at lvl 80 those heirlooms still have better stats on them than the replacement gear you picked up along the way, but those heirloom items hold you back from queueing for Cata 5mans because they're calculated as ilvl 1.

Repeat the process for your helm and cloak (and legs, if your guild has access to them) at lvl 85; find repalcements for them before you hit lvl 85 so you can equip them immediately and be able to queue for MoP 5mans immediately.
I replaced my weapon at 78 to what I currently have (was using two heirloom 1 handers prior) and I noticed that I kill much faster now.

I should be hitting 84/85 tonight so hopefully will be entering Panda lands shortly.
Heirlooms stop giving bonus XP after you reach the max level (80 for shoulders & chest, 85 for cloak, helm, legs).

You can find a blue in this thread
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6713481901

who says so.
Yes, at lvl 80 those heirlooms still have better stats on them than the replacement gear you picked up along the way, but those heirloom items hold you back from queueing for Cata 5mans because they're calculated as ilvl 1.

They actually calculate as itemlevel ~189 at level 80+. For example, wearing all green and blue items, my average (I'm 82) worn is 243. Replacing my 308 chestpiece with the Stained Shadowcraft Tunic results in an average itemlevel of 235 worn. This is a difference of 8, over 15 slots, representing approximately 120 itemlevels. 308 - 120 = 188.

They are itemlevel 1 for the purposes of enchants, but they now calculated for LFDs as their actual itembudget equivalent.
I replaced them at their level cap. Used Head, Shoulders, Back, Chest, Pants and Weapon to 80, then just the Head, Back and Pants til 85. Keep those quest rewards, you'll want them when it comes time to replace the BoAs.
10/03/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Daerius

They actually calculate as itemlevel ~189 at level 80+. For example, wearing all green and blue items, my average (I'm 82) worn is 243. Replacing my 308 chestpiece with the Stained Shadowcraft Tunic results in an average itemlevel of 235 worn. This is a difference of 8, over 15 slots, representing approximately 120 itemlevels. 308 - 120 = 188.

They are itemlevel 1 for the purposes of enchants, but they now calculated for LFDs as their actual itembudget equivalent.

and that's not high enough ilvl to queue? The minute I replace my lvl 80 heirlooms with Wrath ilvl pieces, I can queue for Cata dungeons. Until I do so, I'm not permitted to queue!
10/03/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Meditation

and that's not high enough ilvl to queue? The minute I replace my lvl 80 heirlooms with Wrath ilvl pieces, I can queue for Cata dungeons. Until I do so, I'm not permitted to queue!

Well the Chest and Shoulders are calculated for WotLK item levels, so it makes sense that they would max out at iLevel 190ish, and you should replace them at 80 with Cata gear regardless.

It used to also be the case that you would need to carry around high item level Cloaks and Helms as well, but if it's true that they now count as the item level their stats are based on, then this might not be necessary any longer.
10/03/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Acair

Stats stop increasing per level at 80 but the XP bonus is still good to go as with the other stats on the item.

Uh, no, they don't.
Heirlooms stop giving XP bonuses the moment they stop scaling. Using your example: an heirloom with a max level of 80 will only give you xp until you ding 80. You won't get XP from 80-81 or any level beyond that.

Actually, they don't provide it after level 80, check a quest turn in. At least it didn't work when I tried, but who knows.
You even want to replace your lvl 85 BoAs (helm and cape) as early as 81. Every expansion has BoE gear that you can use a few levels early (TBC let you use lvl 58 gear, WotLK 68 and Cata 78), but for whatever reason, Blizzard decided to have MoP BoEs start at 81 and they are far superior to the scaling on BoAs.
10/03/2012 03:54 PMPosted by Siddown
You even want to replace your lvl 85 BoAs (helm and cape) as early as 81.

No you don't. XP bonus >>>> (ad infinitum) >>> stat bonus.
10/03/2012 04:04 PMPosted by Chuin
You even want to replace your lvl 85 BoAs (helm and cape) as early as 81.

With the 50% buff, you still level fast enough. Replacing those two pieces of gear will help you kill things faster too, so you won't miss the 15% XP bonus nearly as much as you think.
10/03/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Siddown

With the 50% buff, you still level fast enough. Replacing those two pieces of gear will help you kill things faster too, so you won't miss the 15% XP bonus nearly as much as you think.

I really doubt that the stats from helm and cloak make you kill stuff 15% faster (or your group if you are leveling through dungeons)
I used the set til 80, helm/cloak till 85. That's where teh xp stops, and by the time i was 85, the stats ont he helm and cloak were getting really,r eally bad.
10/03/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Acair

That is false. XP stops at 80 and 85 respectively.