Republicans out Democrat in 'World of Warcraf

General Discussion
sorry for the cut and paste thread i just thought the story was too funny to pass up!

[["UPDATED - Colleen Lachowicz is a Democratic candidate running for State Senate in Maine. She's also a level 85 orc in the massively popular online game "World of Warcraft." And for that, the Republican party says she is unfit for office.

Maine's GOP has accused Lachowicz of living a "bizarre double life" and set up a website meant to out her participation in the popular online game -- a game that currently boasts some 10 million players around the world.

Not only does the website show off a picture of the orc character she plays -- named Santiaga -- it also displays comments that have been dug up from online forums in which Lachowicz talks about her love of the (sometimes violent) game as well as her thoughts on various political topics.

Among the comments the website attributes to her:

"So I'm a level 68 orc rogue girl. I stab things . . . a lot. Who would have thought that a peace-lovin', social worker and democrat would enjoy that?!"

"I can kill stuff without going to jail. There are some days when this is more necessary than others."

"I'm so jealous! I wish I wasn't at work. I'd much rather be gaming with my guildies!"

Lachowicz also appears to refer to members of the Tea Party as, well, teabaggers.

"In Colleen’s online fantasy world, she gets away with crude, vicious and violent comments like the ones below," reads the website. "Maine needs a State Senator that lives in the real world, not in Colleen’s fantasy world." Meanwhile, Maine's Republican Party has also sent out a press release titled: "Democratic Senate Candidate Colleen Lachowicz's Disturbing Alter-Ego Revealed" which accuses her of living a "time-consuming double life." The party has also sent out post cards that, like the website, put her "World of Warcraft" character on display and highlight her online comments.

UPDATE: I reached out to Lachowicz for comment, and she sent the following statement:

“I think it's weird that I'm being targeted for playing online games. Apparently I'm in good company since there are 183 million other Americans who also enjoy online games. What's next? Will I be ostracized for playing Angry Birds or Words with Friends? If so, guilty as charged!"

And she went on to state, "What's really weird is that the Republicans are going after my hobbies instead of talking about their record while they've been running Augusta for the last two years. Instead of talking about what they're doing for Maine people, they're making fun of me for playing video games. Did you know that more people over the age of 50 play video games than under the age of 18? As a gamer, I'm in good company with folks like Jodie Foster, Vin Diesel, Mike Myers, and Robin Williams. Maybe it's the Republican Party that is out of touch."

In fact, it doesn't seem Lachowicz was trying to keep her "WoW" playing a secret. This Daily Kos World of Warcraft guild link from 2011 introduces her as a candidate and spreads the fundraising word on her behalf. It reads:

One of our original founding members, Colleen Lachowicz, better known in the guild as Santiaga or Ralista, is running for the Maine State Senate. Colleen is a long time political activist and advocate for kids and health care. Also her DPS is amazing. Mainers will be fortunate indeed if she wins to have her in there fighting for education, kids, health care, jobs and the 99% against the one of the absolute worst of the Tea Party Wing Nut Governors which were inflicted upon us all in the 2010 election patch.

Meanwhile, "World of Warcraft" players are coming to Lachowicz's defense.

"I don't know that I'd agree with her political stances or that I would vote for based on her policies," writes one poster in the "WoW" forums. "That's not what this is about. What I do know is that using the fact that she plays World of Warcraft against her in a political campaign is absurdly pathetic ... I think it makes the person using it as a negative look petty and desperate."]]

original source :
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/republicans-out-democrat-world-warcraft-witch-hunt-6283586
Obviously Rebulicans are Alliance.
oh i found a video on youtube about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUM6eIi9_sA&feature=g-all-u
Because Democrats, Tea Party, Libertarians, Green Party, etc don't have any idiots in their groups. Right, OP?

How about instead of focusing on "AMG GOP IS STOOPID PEEPUL" you instead focus on NOT making video gamers look like the incredibly ignorant knuckledraggers they (politicians in general) think we are.
That is stupid.
This should be an important issue to Gamers, Specifically players of Wow .
Should we be blocked for political office cause of what we do in our Free time ?
Seriously try reading the article before posting threads about it. They outed her for the comments she made while playing and talking on the forum. Not for her playing the game. They even released a second statement to clarify that they had no problem with her playing it was the comments she had made while playing. And yes we should all be held responsible for comments we may make if the involve harming another person.

In the OP you left out the comment about her drowning her opponent in her bathtub.
Again, I think it has less to do with the fact that this politician plays WoW and brings into question their maturity and priorities. Imagine the outcry should ANY politician miss an important legislative meeting because, "Oh, it was progression night!". Far fetched? Sure it is. But in any election EVERYTHING but family (usually) comes under the microscope and is subject to scrutiny.

Long story short, one often has to give things up to pursue their goals. Question is, which is more important to this politician; WoW or governing?
10/06/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Sparerib
Obviously Rebulicans are Alliance.

Really?

With the hordes colour being Red...and the alliance colour being Blue...

...and the horde being full of a bunch assbackwards, bloodthirsty manical, war mongering pigheads @$$holes it's obvious that Republicans play the horde.
Lol i knew the comments would be funny!
And really, going by some of the replies in this thread, can you BLAME anyone for having a low opinion of WoW players? Jeesh.
10/06/2012 07:24 AMPosted by Huggywuggles
And really, going by some of the replies in this thread, can you BLAME anyone for having a low opinion of WoW players? Jeesh.

Yea, they're also missing the point about advertising of this level means multiple people agree with the comments....

I know these are touchy subjects, but gamers need to fess up and realize that if we don't fight back against this kind of stupidity, then it will move from the realm of wtf into the realm of common thought.

Then we all get relegated into the closet for having a socially unacceptable hobby.

One or a few idiots opinions well written and presented to the right people becomes a movement, a movement can become a political power, then become main stream for a nation or a peoples. And so history repeats itself. The only way for evil, bigotry, and injustice to survive is for good men/women to do nothing.

Don't be complacent with what you believe, your vote is done with a pen, and the pen is mightier than the sword.
10/06/2012 06:24 AMPosted by Theias
Should we be blocked for political office cause of what we do in our Free time ?

Absolutely. No one that enters politics should do so without the understanding that their entire history is open to attack by people opposed to them and their ideals.

How can you defend anyone that openly states they are wasting their employer's time and money by not working while on the clock? How about the fact the woman in question wanted to drown her opponent in her bathtub?

This woman doesn't qualify as a decent human being, let alone a candidate for political office.
10/06/2012 07:47 AMPosted by Wu
This woman doesn't qualify as a decent human being, let alone a candidate for political office.

So do I get to label you as a commie for playing a chineese bear in a guild called "House of the Rising Sun?"

Are you going to start a new Japaneese Imperial cult with that?

(See how obtuse and absurd this is?)
10/06/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Dorrell
Then we all get relegated into the closet for having a socially unacceptable hobby.

Gaming, contrary to popular belief, is actually very socially acceptable. In this case, this person made some ill considered comments thinking it wouldn't come back to bite them. When it DID, now all of a sudden it's 'not fair'. I call BS.

It goes beyond democrat or republican. It goes beyond liberal or conservative. It is all about the maturity level of the person running for office. And this person has shown a considerable lack thereof and is being called on it.

As to your point that:

10/06/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Dorrell
Yea, they're also missing the point about advertising of this level means multiple people agree with the comments....

If I can get a million people to agree the sky is yellow, it doesn't necessarily make it so.

Point being, this person is an idiot regardless of political affiliation.
Pretty much what Huggywuggles said. You don't have to be a democrat or Republican to be a jerk. Trying to say "WELL HE IS A X PARTY MEMBER!!!" No that's just you wanting to bash the other political side for your own ends.

The politician is a jerk and should never work in government...ever.