City Exploit Hotfixed

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 10 Next
-deleted-

I will be deleting this post for MODS to see only.

Thanks,

Qurse

You'd probably do better to send them an email.
10/07/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Nethaera
As with any exploit, we are taking this disruptive action very seriously and conducting a thorough investigation.

Oh come on, you know exactly who it is and what happened. It's all over youtube and a certain forum I'm sure you already know all about.

You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?
-deleted-

I will be deleting this post for MODS to see only.

Thanks,

Qurse

Possibly, but it can't hurt.

They can read moderated and edited posts in all of their unedited glory.
The video looks like a lock glitch/bug/exploit from the early days of of the MoP beta. It was fixed with a client side patch. So I am just guessing that the exploiters were able to alter their client enough to recreate it, without triggering any alarms. By doing a server side hot fix it is doubtful that they will be able to do it again.
exactly what was happening and how were they doing it? im a bit confused.
It looks like they got GM powers some how. I haven't seen anyone be able to do this other than a GM.

Edit: I'm responding to one of the vids that someone linked.

Possibly, but it can't hurt.

They can read moderated and edited posts in all of their unedited glory.

Well, of course, but they already have a thousand and three emails to deal with. I'd be surprised if they paid more attention to this thread than the email inbox specifically designed to deal with these kinds of problems.
10/07/2012 02:54 PMPosted by Unjoiner
Thanks for the info and the hard work you guys put in to get the game back up and running :)

LOL! "Hard work." Great joke man.
Crafty little ookers aren't they?

They really should face legal action if Blizzard can track them down by home address. This amount of disruption really is beyond just a minor thing or 2. Doesn't matter is it is a bunch of kids or not, breaking the law is breaking the law. Think it is funny now, but when the police come in it won't be so funny anymore.

Do something more than just bans Blizz. Bans don't mean anything to these kids. They will just make new trial accounts and do it again. Stop it at the source.

lol.... oh no some people died in a major city that no one even cares about and all you had to do was move out of the city to not be affected. This is outrageous, they should be prosecuted!

If you can't find humor in this and really are upset about this, then you have a truly depressing life.
I saw a video and it looked like someone using a .kill command or something. The toon would target someone and they would die a second or two later. I hope the ones responsible are more than just banned.
If anything, they should be getting the FBI involved. They can't exploit and crash the game if they are sitting in a cell with Bubba. We aren't talking about breaking Blizzard's terms of use here, we are talking about violating the law. What they are doing is actually a felony.

I'm sure the FBI has nothing better to do with tax money.
And what exactly would they be charged with ? Murder ?
I'm all for Blizzard getting rid of this stuff... but some people are completely out of touch with reality.
Earlier today, certain realms were affected by an in-game exploit, resulting in the deaths of player characters and non-player characters in some of the major cities. This exploit has already been hotfixed, so it should not be repeatable. It's safe to continue playing and adventuring in major cities and elsewhere in Azeroth.

As with any exploit, we are taking this disruptive action very seriously and conducting a thorough investigation. If you have information relating to this incident, please email hacks@blizzard.com. We apologize for the inconvenience some of you experienced as a result of this and appreciate your understanding.

/FACEPALM I doubt at all your are really that concerned and are more concerned with the continual flow of money into your pockets..Lack of information on the actual hack that our info was taken from is disturbing.
thats pretty intense
Just curious, but can't they track these people by their IP addresses? I mean, I can do it on my websites and stuff and then you can use the IP Tracker to narrow down to where people are down to their location's address. Shouldn't Blizz have the technology to do this as well? Creepy, yes, but there's no law against it...
10/08/2012 12:06 AMPosted by Paulbathehut
If anything, they should be getting the FBI involved. They can't exploit and crash the game if they are sitting in a cell with Bubba. We aren't talking about breaking Blizzard's terms of use here, we are talking about violating the law. What they are doing is actually a felony.

I'm sure the FBI has nothing better to do with tax money.
And what exactly would they be charged with ? Murder ?
I'm all for Blizzard getting rid of this stuff... but some people are completely out of touch with reality.

Uh, hacking into a computer system or set of files is a felony. People get jail time and/or fined for it all the time. Generally in the realm of five years and/or $200k depending on the situation and severity. Every time someone hacks a game, money is lost.

You guys seem to think this is a harmless prank, but the government and businesses take this type of thing very seriously.