Prot pally dps really low.

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
I know this might seem to be weird in a way saying that I want more dps as a prot pally, but back in Cata I could do 15-20k without much of an issue tanking. Why is it at 90 now with much better gear and stats am I having a hard time breaking 10-12k? It just doesn't seem right. On top of that mobs now have 3x-5x the hp so it takes me FOREVER to kill something. This just doesn't seem right.

I like to quest as prot since I can take on a bunch of mobs at once, but it just doesnt make sense that I can only do 1/4 of the damage that other classes can do. Yes I know I am a meat shield, but cmon, make it viable so I can kill stuff too when I'm not in a dungeon. I like to play prot, I find it fun, I don't want to be forced to go dps. Before this xpac it was still viable to quest/kill stuff in prot and I just dont feel like it. Most of my spells only hit for 6-12k. When something has 500k hp thats just ridiculous.

Is this intended for things to take forever to try and force you to go dps or is this just an oversight on Blizz's part?
I feel your pain OP. I was pretty much forced into making a ret spec just to finish dailies in 5min as opposed to 30min.
No I dont die. Minus when I get ganked by an ally because its impossible to kill anyone at the same time. I just dont want to take 30 minutes as posted above me to get 4-5 dailies done in an area.
And that doesnt even include when you have one of those buffed mobs for a quest with over 1 mil hp. Yeah let me go and spend over 1.5 minutes killing this one thing. no thnx.
I'm not 90, but while leveling thus far I haven't noticed a huge nerf to DPS as Prot. It's slower than Ret, but nothing just frustratingly slow.

My biggest gripe however is the new MoP auto quest reward mechanics being tied to the spec you're currently in at the time you accept the quest. Meaning I have to swap to Prot to accept the quest in order to get the Protection paladin quest reward, then swap back out to Ret in order to efficiently grind the objectives, especially if there's a big fight with a lot of mobs or high mob HP. Very frustrating.

I realize those players geared above ilvl 380 won't really run into this while leveling, but I'd really like to gear my Prot paladin with quest rewards for better instance runs. The leveling gear vendor is always an ilvl degree underneath what the quests in that area provide.

Give us a choice in quest rewards based on dual spec, unless there's a way to disable this feature through the UI that I haven't found.
So, out of all the combinations of specs, you choose tank and healing.
Until the day we can purchase a new spec tree, I suggest tank / dps or holy / dps.
I'm not 90, but while leveling thus far I haven't noticed a huge nerf to DPS as Prot. It's slower than Ret, but nothing just frustratingly slow.

My biggest gripe however is the new MoP auto quest reward mechanics being tied to the spec you're currently in at the time you accept the quest. Meaning I have to swap to Prot to accept the quest in order to get the Protection paladin quest reward, then swap back out to Ret in order to efficiently grind the objectives, especially if there's a big fight with a lot of mobs or high mob HP. Very frustrating.

I realize those players geared above ilvl 380 won't really run into this while leveling, but I'd really like to gear my Prot paladin with quest rewards for better instance runs. The leveling gear vendor is always an ilvl degree underneath what the quests in that area provide.

Give us a choice in quest rewards based on dual spec.

Im more talking about at 90. A lot of the daily mobs have 400-500k hp. When doing only 10-12k dps vs things with that much hp it makes me not want to play. Its depressing how slow you kill things. I didnt notice it a ton while leveling (yes a little but nto a ton) but now at 90 and trying to do dailies its a joke how long it takes. I have netter things to do with my time that arent as frustrating.
Also, to be fair, you must also mention how long it takes to kill mobs as holy.
Until the day we can purchase a new spec tree, I suggest tank / dps or holy / dps.

I havent played holy since like lvl 80. I only play prot I just happen to have dual spec and the second spec holy.

Give us a choice in quest rewards based on dual spec, unless there's a way to disable this feature through the UI that I haven't found.

You only have to swap when you turn the quest in, not when you accept it. Just do as I did and when you want a certain piece for prot, just switch to prot, complete the quest, and voila, you have tank gear. I have been able to get both prot and ret sets this way, and they are both comparable ilevel.

I havent played holy since like lvl 80. I only play prot I just happen to have dual spec and the second spec holy.

So what you're saying is, you're lazy?
You only have to swap when you turn the quest in, not when you accept it. Just do as I did and when you want a certain piece for prot, just switch to prot, complete the quest, and voila, you have tank gear. I have been able to get both prot and ret sets this way, and they are both comparable ilevel.

Really? Because I thought I tried that and the reward didn't change. Maybe I'll give it another go and see. Thanks for the clarification.
You're made for tanking, not DPSing. All tank damage was downed a bit. Want to do damage? Grab ret gear.

So what you're saying is, you're lazy?

How is that being lazy? How is asking why I do half the damage I do now compared to when I Was 85 being lazy? Its pretty simple, I do a lot less damage now with better gear at a higher level then I did at 85 on top of all the mobs having 3-4 times as much hp. This doesnt seem right and/or logical. This has nothing to do with my dual spec being holy someone just mentioned it.
I have had no problem with my pally. Although this is not my first tank I have leveled either. I understand that you have to pull every mob in sight and tank them down. Good thing the health bar does not move down untill you hit 7 or so mobs :P

Someone trains 10 mobs into your AOE effect -
Every other class - "Time to blow CDs or run"
Prot Pally - "Woot, free XP"
I have had no problem with my pally. Although this is not my first tank I have leveled either. I understand that you have to pull every mob in sight and tank them down. Good thing the health bar does not move down untill you hit 7 or so mobs :P

Someone trains 10 mobs into your AOE effect -
Every other class - "Time to blow CDs or run"
Prot Pally - "Woot, free XP"

Lol and while this is great for leveling, trying to do dailies and or high end quests, its boring as all hell and takes forever. I'm not complaining about when I was leveling. That was fine. I am talking about lvl 90-92 mobs that are needed to be killed for current endgame quests/dailies. It should take me 1-3 minutes for every single mob I want to kill. It just doesn't seem right.
10/02/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Shazù
You're made for tanking, not DPSing. All tank damage was downed a bit. Want to do damage? Grab ret gear.

Thank you for your oh so constructive feedback not that I didn't cover this in my OP. But sure troll away!
10/02/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Bearmug
Dual spec

I also covered this in my OP. I dont want to be forced to go ret I want to play prot. I find prot more fun.