Martial Arts

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
Does beer have anything to do with it? coz if so I am the best!

Panda's like beer and do kung fu!
10/03/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Shoryuken
Can boxing be considerd a martial art? I dont think so, but I was a bronze golden glove middle weight boxer few years ago. Horribly out of shape now.

Are you kidding? Of course it would be!
Some pretty interesting replies here. I've noticed a lot of people practice Ju-Jutsu which is probably one of the most essential styles to have, but combined with a striking art as well.

Also, Shoryuken, boxing is still a martial art. You're thinking TMAs (Traditional Martial Arts). That's pretty impressive being a golden gloves champ. I boxed for around 3 years myself as well.
Can boxing be considerd a martial art? I dont think so, but I was a bronze golden glove middle weight boxer few years ago. Horribly out of shape now.

i would consider boxing to be a martial art even if its roots don't date back to Asia. i mean krav maga comes from Israel.

Yes, actually, boxing IS a martial art. Any system of fighting is, by definition, a martial art. This even includes fencing, street-fighting styles, and greco-roman wrestling. When people say martial art, most people automatically think of Wushu and karate, but it truly encompasses any and all forms of fighting/self defense.
red belt in tae kwon do.

and yes this xpac is rather cool. seems the production value is way more worth it than it seemed in cataclysm.
Im a keyboard warrior. I flame like no other. It has taken many years to achieve a trolling level of this magnitude but i had great trainers. You can catch me on youtube putting "fake and &%" and "first" its a lonely job , but has to be done

Sifu, I humbly submit myself to your training.
Took a couple isshinryu classes in college, never got past white belt. Sparring is not something I really want to do.
I have a serious problem with anyone claiming "ninjutsu". Ninjutsu is not a style. It is a tactic, which uses knowledge of multiple styles. It is completely non-centralized, meaning you can have any combination of effective styles. In a sense, you can consider modern MMA fighters present day ninjas, they are taught multiple fighting styles, which allow fighting while standing, transitioning to the ground, and then fighting on the ground.

I've trained in Kyokushin Karate, Muay-thai, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and Wing Chun Kung Fu. BJJ is by far my favorite, and I've started Wing Chun the most recently of them all. I'm sad to see that the /sit animation for Pandaren is not Horse Stance. =p
10/03/2012 05:25 PMPosted by Tharnn
Black Belt in Kung Fu, still do the regimen just reduced.

What style Kung Fu? All the styles I've seen don't use belts, you're simply Sifu or not-Sifu. =p
10/03/2012 06:05 PMPosted by Arghkelly
I'm sad to see that the /sit animation for Pandaren is not Horse Stance. =p

I can't really imagine how Horse Stance would be restful like actually sitting.
The only martial art I studied was Kenjutsu. That's Japanese sword fighting for those who don't know. I stopped a few years ago, due to being too busy. I'm somewhat out of practice, but I still know my way around a sword.
10/03/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Daxxarri
I've dabbled in stuff: A little kung fu, some krav maga, and once in a blue moon I'll roll with some friends on the weekend. Nothing with serious intensity though; I wouldn't say that I have anything resembling skill in anything that I've trained in.

Dang. Krav Maga is serious business. That's some deadly stuff once you get proficient.
I've mingled with Karate, Kung Fu, and some US Military forms of self-defense.
Was a green belt in Taekwondo. Then they started demanding more money for sparring gear and extra lessons if I ever wanted to advance. Now I'm self taught

It doesn't work out