How to Make Fishing Not Suck

Professions
Fishing has been and still is the most terribly designed profession. There isn't anything fun about it. Its rather unfortunate that almost 8 years have gone by and there hasn't even been a sliver of effort to do anything about it, especially considering how integrated fishing has become with the all important cooking. Below is just a few ideas on how to make it more interesting/not be so mind numbingly boring/stupid.

1. Reduce the duration of a cast as your skill gets better - The only current difference between a level 1 fisher and a level 600 fisher is the amount of useless junk you fish up, which is entirely up to the water, rather than the fishermen. A more skilled fisherman shouldn't take as long to get his catch as he's more educated about which baits to use.

2. Add something to 'do' - Fishing as it stands currently is done by standing in one spot and clicking a bobber every 20 seconds. Woohoo. I dunno about you guys, but I get such a rush when I bring in that big catch! Oh wait, no I don't! Ha! How about an occasional opportunity to have a 'big catch' pull me into the water, with a button mashing mini game where I try and hold on for the ride? It can end with the fish getting tired, turning around and attacking, giving me an opportunity to kill him and scour his entrails for multiple smaller fish.

3. I want to be Nat Pagle - The Tiller's farm area added an interesting (and simple) addition to cooking. The same can EASILY be done for fishing. I want to be a fishing master with my own boat, so why not have a way I can do that? A questline spanning a couple weeks in which I can slowly build my own ship from the ground up, the bigger it gets, the further out to sea i can go, where the best fish are. Add dailies involving the ship, such as fixing it, taking it out to certain areas, or catching and fighting different types of sea monsters. Nat Pagle has had grand sea adventures, why can't i?

Those are my ideas. They aren't perfect, but I feel that changes even loosely derived along the lines of them would be a step in the right direction. Fishing is long overdue for an overhaul. Its become an increasingly more important part of the game but only because cooking uses so much fish. Fishing itself is boring and repetitive, people are being forced to suffer through a dozen hours of crap just so they can make some food for raiding. The profession that takes the longest to level just happens to be the most boring...and thats not okay.
Fishing is fine but your second suggestion sounds fun.
If your third suggestion happened I might actually level up fishing.
I used to hate fishing but I've come to like it since I thought to put Netflix on the second monitor and watch a movie while fishing.
Give us Spear Fishing as an option.
The thing about fishing I've always wondered is: Why, no matter how skilled I get, do I seem to do better at outlining a pool instead of casting into it? If I could actually land my bobber ABOUT where I was aiming first try, it wouldn't be so bad. And as one's skill grows relative to the highest possible, I should be able to.
I sort of like the idea of reusing the Hodir/Shark quest for jumping on a rare fish and killing it. Hold on tight!
Make it so I can dynamite fish and I'll do it all damned day.

Fun for fishers, and it'd give engineers something new to sell, which I think they could really use.

Since it'd be easier, that could be offset by fishing up already cooked fish for a percentage of what you catch, so they couldn't be used in recipes and such.
How to fix fishing: Stop with the bites that happen 0.5 seconds from when you can't click anymore.
And fishing crates in MoP with crappy darkmoon faire stuff is ridiculous please fix this i dont wanna fish in lvl 85+ areas and get crap lvl 75 food
I like your ideas, I always thought it was a bit silly that my maxed out toons took as long to fish as someone with a low fishing skill. I really love #3. :)

10/11/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Rootfifth
How to fix fishing: Stop with the bites that happen 0.5 seconds from when you can't click anymore.

That gets annoying, sometimes I click in time and other times I'm not so lucky. It seems to be happening to me more in this expansion.
1) Can't.

Fishing was made horrible due to botting concerns.

This is also why fishing pools were added; They were harder to bot, giving the "in earnest" fishing person a reward.

2) Blizzard has expressed a longtime interest in that. However, fishing seems to be the red-haired step child of red-haired step childs.
10/11/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Rootfifth

I found that to be very obnoxious when I was going for 600. The only way I found to combat it was to click before the bite if it got down that low. Doesn't always work but it helps.
Have you seen what Nat Pagle offers to those with his rep maxxed? He is on a dock south of Kasarang wilds.
The overall cast time is way to long and should be reduced to Ten seconds or even a little shorter than that. It would then have considerably less downtime that would help in leveling and the faster pace would help from getting bored so quickly.

Also reduce the amount of casts it takes to get a skill point, sometime it takes close to ten or so casts to get a dam point, even in high lvl areas.

Think #2 from OP could be made into something fun to bad I doubt they will ever do anything even remotely close to it.

2. Add something to 'do' - Fishing as it stands currently is done by standing in one spot and clicking a bobber every 20 seconds. Woohoo. I dunno about you guys, but I get such a rush when I bring in that big catch! Oh wait, no I don't! Ha! How about an occasional opportunity to have a 'big catch' pull me into the water, with a button mashing mini game where I try and hold on for the ride? It can end with the fish getting tired, turning around and attacking, giving me an opportunity to kill him and scour his entrails for multiple smaller fish.

This sounds fun.

I don't personally mind fishing. I find it can be relaxing at times, although it can be monotonous at times too if you're having to fish for a specific fish for cooking or a quest. Your second suggestion sounds like it'd be a nice break in the monotony.

Your first suggestion sounds ok too, but it's something I can also do without. I'm usually alt tabbing while fishing and a shorter cast time would just completely break the rythmn I usually get into while I'm fishing.
1.The cast time has already been reduced from what it was in Vanilla. I am ok with it now. It is just long enough to feel as though I really am waiting for a fish to bite.

2. I like this. It would also pose a challenge for those who try to bot. Make the encounters random and the responses varied. That way the giant fish/kraken can eat the AFK botter...and that makes me giggle.

3. Love the idea. I have wanted my own ship for a very long time. Sure, we can get a fishing raft, but that is not the same as a ship. Bonus if we can take folks out on it and team together with harpoons and nets to take on special mobs.

4. EXP for fishing. We get exp for gathering professions such as herb gathering, mining, skinning, and even archeology. We should get a small amount of exp per fish as well in zones appropriate for our level! Scale it so that amount of exp gained per 10 mins of active fishing is the same as 10 mins of active mining/herbing/skinning.
10/12/2012 06:20 AMPosted by Saazel
Have you seen what Nat Pagle offers to those with his rep maxxed? He is on a dock south of Kasarang wilds.

You need 42,000 rep with him and can only get 1500 a day if your lucky and find all 3 of the rare fish. That will take a long time to be able to buy the book.
10/12/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Reeverswoman

You need 42,000 rep with him and can only get 1500 a day if your lucky and find all 3 of the rare fish. That will take a long time to be able to buy the book.

Wow...28 days...*forever*!! Patience...we don't always get everything we want when we want it.
Getting more than 1 fish per cast is really necessary. In the time it takes to collect a stack of fish, I could have 4-5 stacks of other mats.

Whether it's simply dropping multiple bobbers or having some additional mini-game pop up, the time spent needs to be filled more completely, not just sitting and waiting. Right now the 100% best way to fish is to be reading a book or watching a movie on the side. Fishing can't be fixed as long as the most preferable way to do it is by doing something outside the game.