Huggywuggles v. MoP reputation solutions

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
We're working on a change for a future patch that will make it easier to gain reputation with a specific faction on every alt on your Battle.net account, after you reach a certain reputation with that faction on another character.

Stay tuned for more information on this, likely coming before the end of the week.

OMG thank you.
This is very welcome news indeed. I do not have a problem grinding this rep up once on my main but it was very daunting as someone who likes to play multiple alts.
By the way, does this mean I get a 'credit' if the system works the way I suggested? :P
We're working on a change for a future patch that will make it easier to gain reputation with a specific faction on every alt on your Battle.net account, after you reach a certain reputation with that faction on another character.

Stay tuned for more information on this, likely coming before the end of the week.

Sounds awesome! Is this for every faction? (eg skyguard, ogri'la, etc) or just MoP factions?

Is it wrong to want to kiss a skull? lol thanks big Z
10/03/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Huggywuggles
By the way, does this mean I get a 'credit' if the system works the way I suggested? :P

No. Because you have a silly hat.

At least I'm lvl 90! And my mother wears combat boots!

edit: waaaaaaaaaaaaait just a second, THAT didn't sound right!

incoming the return of rep tokens from wrath of the lich king i wager?

Nice to hear. Still hoping for tabards though... =x As someone with 5 characters who are all main spec heals, I prefer to get rep in dungeons in groups, rather than questing solo.

At least I'm lvl 90! And my mother wears combat boots!

edit: waaaaaaaaaaaaait just a second, THAT didn't sound right!

You mean at least your internet at home works. I've been getting dismal speeds since our countries line provider helpfully "upgraded" my exchange. Getting to 90 not possible with pings ranging from 4000 to 20000ms :(

EDIT: On-topic - Yay for good news, I don't mind doing lots of dailies, but I also have many, many alts (three accounts worth).

Zarhym, if I could meet you in person, I'd high-five you. I say this because the htought of repeating these painfully slow rep grinds on my alts are the main things keeping me from leveling my alts right now, aside from wanting to give me some time for the leveling experience to fade and wait on quest bugs to get fixed.

Looking forawrd to seeing what your solution is, because the Rep grinds were one of the few things I hated about MoP; the other was the JP/VP decision, but those have been addressed.
Possible Solution:

*Gain Exalted w/ Faction*

Purchase Account Wide Tabard that increases guild rep by X%

While this is welcome news, I still have to wonder why we're working on making the MoP system less terrible when there was never anything wrong with the Cata valor system.

I guess it's too late to go back now, but it's hard to accept the complete dismissal of a system that has worked perfectly well and been the central point of why I enjoy this game for two expansions.

I'm not sure I buy the notion that Blizzard doesn't do change for the sake of change anymore.
I like the idea of building your reputation in order to have access to special items that you want and should have to work for.

In the beginning of a new expansion it always seems like a huge grind that you can not ever fathom finishing.

History has shown that if you play the content you will succeed in accomplishing what you set out to accomplish.

On an alt, when cata first launched I thought I would never get archaeology to maximum level and get the recipe for vial of sands to finally drop from a Canopic Jar. Well, guess what folks, I worked hard for it and I got it, finally.

I appreciate working hard for something and getting it, it makes that item feel so much more valuable.

I agree with the the idea of having something for your alts to make earning reputations with specific factions easier once one of your characters has gained exalted with that reputation. I agree with that because you worked hard to get exalted on one character, you earned your rewards.

I don't mind working hard and spending time to gain rep with factions, but I don't like the idea of only being able to do it by solo questing. Even if they just gave us tabards that resulted in less rep/hour than dailies would, I would be fine with that, as at least then I can earn rep while doing something I enjoy, instead of having to do something I hate so I can do something I enjoy.
Great news. Since we're on topic about cumalating gains across alts please consider making battleground wins across all toons work towards the achievment. Much like the HK system.
Zarhym
Community Manager

Thank you! My alts are very important to me but the thought of grinding them through the dailies to be able to raid in my 4 raid groups was just depressing me honestly. I made it through Molten front on 3 toons and halfway through on 4 more but it's not something i ever see myself doing again, that grind was the worst thing i have ever done in WoW.

Why not just make rep account wide like with mounts and pets? Reputation only works as an interesting game play option when you are of the mindset of only playing one character. As soon as you consider alts and the rewards they might want, Rep becomes the most ridiculous aspect of the game imaginable.

On top of which, there are several achievements associated with reputation, of which all your characters get credit for on the achievements panel, but no credit for when it comes to actual game play. Add to that the fact that of all the brand new mounts in the game, the cloud serpent mounts require rep gain on other characters in order to be used by them.

It's literally like saying 'oh hey, we made your mounts account wide, except the cool new one that you might really want to use on your other characters.' I made the mistake of leveling my druid to 90 first, and I don't use mounts because flight form is more useful. For me to grind cloud serpent rep is pointless on that character because I'll never use the mount on it.

My main issue with these kinds of development features, is that it doesn't seem like you guys put enough thought into them. Was there not someone on your team who said 'hey, we should jot down every existing feature we might make account wide in the future, and get it all done at once so we can work on other things.'

Things that should be account wide:

1. Mounts
2. Pets
3. Reputation
4. BoAs (including BoA items aside from gear)
5. Guilds
6. Tabards
7. Currency
8. Banks

And probably more I am forgetting. The fact of the matter is at some point many of these things will no doubt become account wide through some 'new feature' you guys decide to add to the game in the near or distant futre. While the logistics of reserving features for later implementation might seem like a great idea to keep the game fresh, it only makes people /facepalm now because they can think for themselves and question 'well why didn't they just do this too?'

It could be a matter of budget, of time frame, and/or lack of ideas, but one thing is for sure: the current iteration of 'account wide' feels very half done in some places. In his spare time and for free, an addon developer can put together a UI that looks/functions miles better than the stock UI, and build into it a feature which can tell me exactly how much gold I have on all my characters, but 8 years later Blizzard doesn't even consider updating the UI OR adding that sort of feature.

It's just mind boggling sometimes.

That's great and all, but will it allow reputation achievements to be account wide? I mean if I stop playing my toon with say Shen'dralar or Zandalar Tribe I will have no way to regain those 2 exalted factions on my count towards the 70 exalted factions achievement. None.

You then make it so if I want to benefit from those 2 I must either choose to play my old character or farm 2 entirely new reputations on my new one. I realize there is a limitation in this as each exalted faction would probably give a +1 to the counter so if we had this account wide, hitting exalted with say Stormwind 5 times on 5 toons would raise the counter by 5 (which is wrong). I also realize there's more than 70 factions but my put my point is you're basically throwing 2 of my factions out the window (not cool).

Solutions:
1. Make forgotten factions (Shen'dralar, Zandalar Tribe) account wide rep (they have no purpose, it just helps our wonderful counter, this will not help people who did not max the faction to exalted).
2. Include a check to ensure the counter doesn't increment violently when the same faction hits exalted across multiple characters. (This could have unintentional side effects such Scryers and Aldors being maxed on separate characters thus giving the +2 without the need switch and regrind from hated).

I like #2 personally. If someone has a better idea apart from the "max it out on different characters" I'd love to hear it!