Why Aren't People Up in Arms...

Story Forum
1 2 3 7 Next
Over Anduin using Mind Control? He casts the spell on a dwarf in Jade Forest so he would be allowed to continue his adventure through Pandaria.

Forgive me if this has been brought up but a quick glance down the first page brought up nothing.

Why all the Sylvanas hate when it's alluded too, with little in the way of outright proof, when the undead are raised yet when Anduin casts a spell called Mind Control it gets swept under the rug?
People actually are up in arms about it. It's a fairly popular topic on my server
Ah, I'm on a PvP server so I don't see much talk as far as the story is concerned. I get most of the discussions from the forums.
When Anduin enslaves someone with Mind Control to fight or kill, I feel people could complain. He did so to follow his sense of justice. It's really the same thing as Obi-Won mind tricking the Stormtrooper.
Pretty much what the post above me said. While Mind Control may be used for heinous purposes at times, Anduin used it to get out of being shipped back home and continued on to Kun-Lai summit and later the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. He did what he did for a good purpose, because he believes the healing waters could help heal Azeroth as a whole. It's not like he used the Mind Control to bend the Dwarf into slavery, or into killing others, or even into killing himself. He just mind-tricked the Dwarf so he could get away.
Just because there is a slight parallel between two actions doesn't mean they are morally equivalent by any rational measure.

Anduin mind-controlled the Dwarf only briefly, did not force him to fight anyone, and the alternatives had an equal or greater risk.

The Forsaken on the other hand forcefully raise people from the dead on a massive scale and manipulate them into fighting their former friends/family. In addition this practice has become a way of life for the Forsaken rather then something they do only in very specific and very unusual circumstances.
Over Anduin using Mind Control? He casts the spell on a dwarf in Jade Forest so he would be allowed to continue his adventure through Pandaria.

Forgive me if this has been brought up but a quick glance down the first page brought up nothing.

Why all the Sylvanas hate when it's alluded too, with little in the way of outright proof, when the undead are raised yet when Anduin casts a spell called Mind Control it gets swept under the rug?

Sylvanas doesn't control the Forsaken with Mind Control. They all have free will, and can choose whatever path they like after being raised. They can serve her or not.

...what's not mentioned is, you back in the hole if you don't choose to server.
I'm talking about those who bash on Sylvanas for using Mind Control, which I don't think she does. The feeling I get from them is that any use of Mind Control, that is, bending someones will to their own by force, is wrong. This is exactly what Anduin did to that dwarf.

There are so many more sensible things to bash Sylvanas about. Falrinn brough up a lot of them.

Forcefully bringing people back from the dead, which is potentially even more heinous than many think if this guarantees a person to the same fate that Arthas has met or Sylvanas glimpsed.

Manipulating these individuals into joining them under the threat of death, again, a potentially heinous act if not even that will give them freedom from the curse forced upon them.

But to bash on Sylvanas when Mind Control is only alluded to and not Anduin when he outright uses it seems silly.
10/03/2012 12:02 PMPosted by Rudox
I'm talking about those who bash on Sylvanas for using Mind Control, which I don't think she does. The feeling I get from them is that any use of Mind Control, that is, bending someones will to their own by force, is wrong. This is exactly what Anduin did to that dwarf.

Before we learned why Alliance-raised Forsaken would attack their former comrades, it was a popular theory that it was due to mind control. For a race that values free will, it seemed hypocrtical.

It's not the act that's bad. It's the method and use of the act. That's why people argue that it's not the same thing.
And these people would be intentionally searching for something to be "up in arms" about.

Your player priest knows how to do this. It's likely lore wise easily said to be something that's known to priests, just like most chemists could probably poison you 1000 times over but they don't use that knowledge. Just like jedi use jedi mind tricks.

People are just looking for a fight here, probably out of frustration that Blizzard doesn't set these kinds of things in the classes in stone as canon very often.
In other words, it's totally cool when Prince Blondy does it, but Queen of the Roaches can't do it under any circumstances.

Guys, it doesn't matter the context. Taking away someones free will goes against a fundamental western belief.
Anduin uses Mind Control? Whatever.
Anduin uses Mind Vision? Sure, why not.
Anduin uses Mind Soothe? Cool.

Anduin uses Mind Sear? Oh boy we're all screwed...
10/03/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Draile
Guys, it doesn't matter the context.

The context is very important here. There's a world of difference between "distracting someone for a few seconds" and "murdering someone, defiling their corpse and forcing them to kill their friends".

That's why this thread is silly. It's like arguing that "taking an apple from the market to feed a starving child" and "breaking into a home to mutilate the inhabitants and take all their valuables" are both equally bad because they both involve stealing.
In other words, it's totally cool when Prince Blondy does it, but Queen of the Roaches can't do it under any circumstances.

Guys, it doesn't matter the context. Taking away someones free will goes against a fundamental western belief.

Okay, let's accept what Anduin did as wrong, fair enough.

But just because two acts are wrong doesn't make them morally equivalent by any rational definition. A mugger may undeniably be in the wrong, but that doesn't mean he's as evil as Stalin.

This.

he's alliance. It's only bad when the horde does it. Details only matter when the alliance does it. before, anything that resembles MC is bad. now, details matter. Go figure.

Okay, let's accept what Anduin did as wrong, fair enough.

But just because two acts are wrong doesn't make them morally equivalent by any rational definition. A mugger may undeniably be in the wrong, but that doesn't mean he's as evil as Stalin.

LK MC'ed for his own purposes to take over the world.

Anduin MCing for his own endes puts him as evil as the LK.

Or.... Sylvanas using mindtricks for the good of her kingdom against her enemies means she isn't the equivelant of the LK.
I'm actually laughing at the accusations of double standards, you guys are amazing XD
10/03/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Elenie
I'm actually laughing at the accusations of double standards, you guys are amazing XD

I'm an accusor of double standards but i'm not crying anduin is evil as the LK. or that he's evil at all. /shrug
Here we go again.
LK MC'ed for his own purposes to take over the world.

Anduin MCing for his own endes puts him as evil as the LK.

Only if Anduin is trying to take over the world, like the Lich King was.

So far, it looks like he isn't.