Why are skin and model changes against ToS?

General Discussion
Sums it all up in a nut shell. Both points are the reasons why.

Also, rather than allowing one thing, it's easier to just make it all bannable in the first place, with no loopholes.

So pretty much because its exploitable and can be used for cheating you could get banned even if your not using it to cheat?
They could do it like League of Legends... you can do your own customized skin, but only you can see it, everyone else would see your normal look. You wouldn't get to show off to anyone else but it'd be cool to have for yourself.

The game would still be using your original picture so there would be no game interference, aka no cheating, even if you used an X-rated transmog no one else could see it.

It'd basically just be like copying/pasting a cooler picture over your character but underneath it is still the original game character.
10/05/2012 07:29 AMPosted by Palarius
Ok, all still good answers; I still don't understand. What if all you do is change the textures so they are higher resolution, or add animations to humans so they aren't as clunky compared to other races. I know that if people abuse it its cheating, but my question is why are the things I just said "High rez and new animations" still bannable? It seems like an extremely harmless thing, so why is it so harshly punished?

How would Blizzard be able to detect aesthetic/harmless/high rez graphic changes to those that are "hack" as out-lined previously?

And why would Blizzard not develop software to detect "aesthetic" graphics changes to differentiate? Simply Put, they spend money to develop graphics to be used in their product. not for users to make whatever changes they want to.
This is new blizzard here folks. They only know how to be heavy-handed in their decisions.
10/03/2012 03:04 PMPosted by Sosume
Probably to prevent the x-rated skins that would no doubt immediately appear.

A shame.

...'cause I'd be using them.
10/03/2012 03:04 PMPosted by Sosume
Probably to prevent the x-rated skins that would no doubt immediately appear.

that have appeared, iirc, there used to be a mod or an addon that made your character (only you can see it, you appear normal to everyone else [iunno if it interacted with people who have the mod/addon]) nude, but it was banned and such.
10/05/2012 07:29 AMPosted by Palarius
Ok, all still good answers; I still don't understand. What if all you do is change the textures so they are higher resolution, or add animations to humans so they aren't as clunky compared to other races. I know that if people abuse it its cheating, but my question is why are the things I just said "High rez and new animations" still bannable? It seems like an extremely harmless thing, so why is it so harshly punished?

Because enforcing a zero tolerance policy for a behavior they can monitor without human involvement is much less expensive than having employees research each case to see if you're using your modding powers for good or evil and rendering judgements.
How would they know if your using it anyway, not saying I will but isn't it.. Against the law to explore the files of anothers Pc?
10/05/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Felivastus
How would they know if your using it anyway, not saying I will but isn't it.. Against the law to explore the files of anothers Pc?

When you agree to their ToS and EULA, you agree to let them scan your computer while you play.
10/05/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Felivastus

Going to guess the TOS allows them to explore the files of their folder
10/05/2012 09:04 AMPosted by Kaganfindel
When you agree to their ToS and EULA, you agree to let them scan your computer while you play.

That scares me a bit...
It was great back in vanilla. My first char was a human warrior, but I wanted to play as an undead. Only required a simple folder creation and renaming of a file.

I was also able to make my guy a demon lord, a small black cat and various other models.

also, it may be worth mentioning that you can change sound files without pissing off warden, if that's something that may interest you
lol, nah. The soundtrack is amazing, the only thing I would change is the Human Male fall sound. It sounds like hes a pre-teen.
Sums it all up in a nut shell. Both points are the reasons why.

Also, rather than allowing one thing, it's easier to just make it all bannable in the first place, with no loopholes.

So pretty much because its exploitable and can be used for cheating you could get banned even if your not using it to cheat?

If it is against the EULA and TOS, then you can be banned for it. It's that simple.
Modification of the software in a manner not approved by the publisher or copyright holder is a violation of the EULA for almost any software product.
10/04/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Gorkag
This was pretty much the reason they made it against the ToS.

If they made it something to ban people over because of someone removing the permanent underwear from game models, instead of because of the numerous methods that it opened up for players to cheat, then I would have to seriously question Blizzard's priorities.