Shadowmourne and lore

Story Forum
So we all know that Frostmourne was destroyed at the Frozen Throne and it's remains are currently being held in an undisclosed location (probably by the Argent Crusade but that's just my opinion). However, what happened to Shadowmourne, the weapon inspired by Frostmourne and created specifically to kill the Lich King? Where is it now lorewise (as players are not considered part of lore)? Is it being held for safe keeping by the Ebon Blade or is it still in the possession of an unnamed hero somewhere out in Azeroth? Shouldn't it be held under lock and key? After all, if the wrong person got ahold of it and knew about Bolvar, couldn't it be used to kill him and steal the Helm of Domination in order to take control of the Scourge? Just something I was wondering.
I had forgotten about that...

I wouldn't be suprised if the Ebon Blade has it hidden away in case Bolvar starts acting up, but I don't think they ever said anything officially.
10/09/2012 01:19 PMPosted by Vyeeria
So we all know that Frostmourne was destroyed at the Frozen Throne and it's remains are currently being held in an undisclosed location (probably by the Argent Crusade but that's just my opinion). However, what happened to Shadowmourne, the weapon inspired by Frostmourne and created specifically to kill the Lich King? Where is it now lorewise (as players are not considered part of lore)? Is it being held for safe keeping by the Ebon Blade or is it still in the possession of an unnamed hero somewhere out in Azeroth? Shouldn't it be held under lock and key? After all, if the wrong person got ahold of it and knew about Bolvar, couldn't it be used to kill him and steal the Helm of Domination in order to take control of the Scourge? Just something I was wondering.

Sounds like a story that would be a better expansion than a bunch of panda's running around. I don't think they should have ended the Lich King story the way they did. Was the perfect story to keep a running platform from.
Specific players are not part of the lore, but 'adventurers' are. The Scarab Lord is a real person, and players with the 'Hand of A'dal' title are also aknowledged as existing during Wrath. There's a gnome in Wintergarde (I think, i'm too lazy to look it up) who mentions them while trying to raise the spirit of an ally. Somewhere out there, there is a canon wielder of Shadowmourne.
10/09/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Resileaf
Specific players are not part of the lore, but 'adventurers' are. The Scarab Lord is a real person, and players with the 'Hand of A'dal' title are also aknowledged as existing during Wrath. There's a gnome in Wintergarde (I think, i'm too lazy to look it up) who mentions them while trying to raise the spirit of an ally. Somewhere out there, there is a canon wielder of Shadowmourne.

Yeah, it's Wintergarde, he makes reference to "a batallion from shattrah, granted ranks as hands of a'dal" as well as "our esteemed scarab lord" joining the fight against the lich king.
I would bet the Deathknight adventurer either gave it to Bolvar or the Ebon Blade.
I always tend to think that there is one of each class, race, gender combo as far as player characters go and are always considered and referenced as 'adventurers' in canon.
10/09/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Tevinter
I always tend to think that there is one of each class, race, gender combo as far as player characters go and are always considered and referenced as 'adventurers' in canon.

Erm, that's a lot.
Orc Mage Male
Orc Mage female
Orc Warrior Male
Orc Warrior female
Orc Rogue male
Orc Rogue female
Orc Hunter Male
Orc Hunter female
Orc Shaman Male
Orc Shaman female
Orc Warlock Male
Orc Warlock female
Orc Death Knight Male
Orc Death Knight female
Orc Monk Male
Orc Monk femal

and that's just orcs
10/09/2012 02:14 PMPosted by Ximothy

Erm, that's a lot.
Orc Mage Male
Orc Mage female
Orc Warrior Male
Orc Warrior female
Orc Rogue male
Orc Rogue female
Orc Hunter Male
Orc Hunter female
Orc Shaman Male
Orc Shaman female
Orc Warlock Male
Orc Warlock female
Orc Death Knight Male
Orc Death Knight female
Orc Monk Male
Orc Monk femal

and that's just orcs

well there arent exactly only a handful of us, is there? Its plausible that this is true.
10/09/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Tevinter
Me too, exactly.
10/09/2012 02:14 PMPosted by Ximothy
Erm, that's a lot.

I mean there has to be a number of adventurers in order to complete raids and what not.
10/09/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Tevinter
Erm, that's a lot.

I mean there has to be a number of adventurers in order to complete raids and what not.
I used to imagine a few 40 mans or so back in vanilla worth of adventurers was who we represented, maybe one full raid for each faction.
10/09/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Elrith
I would bet the Deathknight adventurer either gave it to Bolvar or the Ebon Blade.
Ah smart. After the previous lich king ran around with the sister blade of Shadowmourne we create Shadowmourne only to give it over to Bolvar. You know I personally wouldn't be surprised if Bolvar went insane. There are many many things out there which would give him away. For one, it was never announced whether or not Ner'zhul's spirit was destroyed or not, I wouldn't be surprised if it were announced that Arthas was suppressing him and now Bolvar has to deal with him. For another thing, when Arthas took the Helm of Domination he became the Lich King, and as such all the monuments he built weren't about him being Arthas but rather being the Lich King. Now that Bolvar has taken that title it wouldn't be surprising for him to see everything that the Lich King is and take the title of the Lich King instead of Bolvar. I mean seeing all those monuments in place for him imo would send his ego skyrocketing. I wouldn't be surprised if after a few years he tried to take over Arthas's previous position and take over the world again.
10/09/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Elrith

Yeah it would be awesome if Morgraine had it.
10/09/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Vynathlon
For one, it was never announced whether or not Ner'zhul's spirit was destroyed or not, I wouldn't be surprised if it were announced that Arthas was suppressing him and now Bolvar has to deal with him.

Trag Highmountain: "Ner'zhul... RAAARGH!!!"
The Lich King: "Ner'zhul is no more. He is consumed. There is only Arthas now... Arthas, whom you shall serve for all eternity."

Q&A: "I have a question regarding the storyline of Ner'zhul: is he finished, or what's going on with that?"
Chris Metzen: "Yes. Yeah, Ner'zhul is done. He served us well in that capacity, but really the Lich King idea... really has the ultimate expression, you know, as Arthas or whatever. Ner'zhul's done.
10/09/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Aureus

Yeah, it's Wintergarde, he makes reference to "a batallion from shattrah, granted ranks as hands of a'dal" as well as "our esteemed scarab lord" joining the fight against the lich king.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Shiromar

The canon Scarab Lord
Another reason I can't see Shadowmourne resurface as a plot point is that if some NPC has it... Then there are LOTS of players who will say "No he doesn't. I have it. Why does he have my weapon?"
Perhaps if you own the weapon, it can be referenced. You might get some extra attention, much like Illidan would say "You seem prepared" to players who have his warglaives during WoE.
But you won't see it being used by someone else, for any reason. PLayers own it.
10/09/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Egrem
For one, it was never announced whether or not Ner'zhul's spirit was destroyed or not, I wouldn't be surprised if it were announced that Arthas was suppressing him and now Bolvar has to deal with him.

Trag Highmountain: "Ner'zhul... RAAARGH!!!"
The Lich King: "Ner'zhul is no more. He is consumed. There is only Arthas now... Arthas, whom you shall serve for all eternity."

Q&A: "I have a question regarding the storyline of Ner'zhul: is he finished, or what's going on with that?"
Chris Metzen: "Yes. Yeah, Ner'zhul is done. He served us well in that capacity, but really the Lich King idea... really has the ultimate expression, you know, as Arthas or whatever. Ner'zhul's done.
Still doesn't prove that Ner'zhul will come back though. It's been proven with Arthas's light side that entities within the Lich King's mind do not disappear. Also provided to us by the dream, it's been proven that the dream is nothing more than that: a dream, therefore Ner'zhul's death within it does not prove that he's gone completely. As for the other quote from Blizzard, it proves they don't plan to use him again not that he's gone for good. If Blizzard plans to implement the use of the Lich King by having Bolvar go crazy, then having Ner'zhul resurface again will provide the adequate support for the plot to work.
Another reason I can't see Shadowmourne resurface as a plot point is that if some NPC has it... Then there are LOTS of players who will say "No he doesn't. I have it. Why does he have my weapon?"
Perhaps if you own the weapon, it can be referenced. You might get some extra attention, much like Illidan would say "You seem prepared" to players who have his warglaives during WoE.
But you won't see it being used by someone else, for any reason. PLayers own it.
I can say the same thing about Gorehowl and the Corrupted Ashbringer. Why does Darion have my weapon, and likewise why is Garrosh using my weapon as well? It's been proven to work before, Blizzard's just lazy and doesn't want to use anything for it.
I can say the same thing about Gorehowl and the Corrupted Ashbringer. Why does Darion have my weapon, and likewise why is Garrosh using my weapon as well? It's been proven to work before, Blizzard's just lazy and doesn't want to use anything for it.

Personally, I never felt that Gorehowl being in Kara meant that it was canonically there. Was more of a... "Look, its a weapon wielded by Grom!" kind of thing.
The Ashbringer IS a good point though, seeing as there was a huge quest for people to acquire it.