Warlock or Mage?

Warlock
As the title states I am waiting around for them to make adjustments to WW spec so I have an 85 lock and mage just waiting to be leveled as I would like to have a ranged pvp alt. I can't really decide which I want to do so i figured I'd ask the people who know best. So what can you recommend? Lock or mage?
I mained a warlock throughout vanilla, BC and WOTLK but cata made me finally make a mage who I mained. I really enjoyed pvp as frost and think the class is even more enjoyable now than ever. Personally I like my warlock more but feel mage is an easier/safer class to go with. Not saying mage is an idiot class because really at appropriate skill level no class is complete faceroll and its a matter of becoming comfortable with all of its little nuances and learning the tricks of the trade.

It really depends on what you want to do, I guess. Mage will always be a safe class to go with, in my opinion, its only ever had one truly rough patch (sunwell) but I think lock is in a good place right now too. With that said, having played both at least at 85 during cata, I think it takes a bit more work to do well in pve as a warlock but its not incredibly hard and I think its an enjoyable class. z

If you do play warlock make sure to research the specs, priorities etc because that will make your life a lot easier. The same can be said for all classes but I think this applies most for warlock.

I'm sure a highly experienced pvper or raider can come in and comment too. Try to think of what class appeals to you more flavor-wise. Do you want to be a demonic looking caster that casts a plethora of curses on his opponent or summons demonic minions from the Twisting Nether (hell) or do you like a more oldschool magician-y guy. Sorry my wording sucks. Just pick the class you find most interesting because if you do what I did and go with what's best with a given patch you'll end up doing top dps but also won't feel very attached to your character and get bored. I'm not saying mages are boring either, I like them a lot, my warlock is just my favorite. If you've ever played MTG I kinda view warlocks as being from a "black" deck (my favorite type) and mages would be blue. A small little thing that helps my decision on who to main. I also think warlocks have the best tier armor ever, if aesthetics matter a lot to you.

One final thing: despite me saying warlock is "harder", its easier now than ever to grasp. Blizzard has streamlined a ton of stuff, making it much more accessible. Destro only has one dot to manage, curse is unique to demo spec and you can switch talents as often as you want, assuming you have (cheaply purchased) tomes of the clear mind.
I appreciate the time you took to answer my question. Aesthetics are a big deal and I know locks win in that department hands down.

I know both classes will be forever viable in pvp. I guess I am just looking at playstyle. I generally always play melee. I am just looking for a change in that regard overall.
historically, warlocks get nerfed to the ground while mages seem to keep getting bigger spells and better buffs. Don't believe me? Let's look at cata then MoP:

Cataclysm new warlock spells:

Fel Flame (level 81): Yeah we all know how "amazing" fel flame is.

Dark Intent (level 83): Yay! We get to be nagged by every single dot class in the game (except for other warlocks) for an entire expansion. Plus, if they fail to do their jobs or die, you're gimped and your dps plummets.

Demon Soul (level 85): Let's go ahead and tie warlock specs to specific pets. It's not like pets are important or have any other utility tied to them, amirite? This spell is also credited with inventing demonology pet-twisting antics.

Cataclysm new mage spells:

Flame Orb (level 81): yeah, go ahead and tell me that fel flame is better than flame orb, and that you'd rather have fel flame than flame orb in any situation. Lol.

Ring of Frost (level 83): we get to be a buff !@#$%, mages get more CC. Next.

Time Warp (level 85): Freaking bloodlust. How is that in any way, shape or form compares to "you get a crappy, dispellable buff based on your pet" is beyond me.

But hey, that's all in the past right? Let's look at Mop!

Mists of Pandaria new warlock spells:

Pyroclasm (level 86, destruction): Great, so after 85 levels of taking 5 days to cast Chaos Bolt, I finally earned the right to not suck.

Demonic Gateway (level 87): Yay for yet another 5-day cast. If I manage to get this cast off, it means I have to babysit the two portals, because they WILL despawn if I get out of range. Also, it has charges. Also, you take a debuff that won't let you teleport back and forth. "Awesome", right?

Pandemic (level 90): And that's affliction's pyroclasm. It allows affliction not to suck. Yay! all my new abilities are there simply to make the class playable.

Mists of Pandaria new mage spells:

Alter time (level 87): So how about you get all CDs and procs, push a button, kills someone, push a button and you get those procs back, ready to blow up someone else again? Yeah, that's totally comparable with a 50 eons cast time portal that needs babysitting.

TL;DR: Go mage. It takes serious balls to play a warlock (or a "healthy" does of masochism).
Eep, Sorry that you not happy currently with locks. I appreciate the feedback.
Um if you want something easier and more FOTM mage hands down. If you want interesting lore, unique playstyle and a big range between noob and master of the class that can challenge you warlock. I'm falling in love with how Lock is all over again since I've been getting tons of BG's and a little arena under my belt since hitting 90. It's not like mage where you can pop all CD's, packpeddle and win 90 percent of the time. With Warlock you have to react quickly, pop CD's at right time, burst at right time.

Challenge, unique, great lore, better looks, POTENTIAL= Lock

FOTM, Much easier to play, bunch of oh !@#$ buttons and protections, more mobility= Mage

See I capitalize potential because if you watch a master lock who's really gotten their class down like the one who's been streaming 2400+ rated demo lock (Gnomemind) you'll see how frantically he's having to react to situations, talk on vent and just in general not %^-* up and be precise. If you do that as a lock you can be an unstoppable force. That being said it takes a lot of practice and time to get there and refine your skills so 80 percent of locks have a much harder time than mages in PVP.
Do you like being the focus target in pretty much every situation? Lock is the class for you.
10/11/2012 09:47 AMPosted by Xado
Eep, Sorry that you not happy currently with locks. I appreciate the feedback.

Not that I'm not happy (quite the oposite, compared to Cataclysm we're in heaven), just trying to point out that if you enjoy nothing but some casual pvp, mage is the way to go. Always have been good, always will be good.

Warlocks on the other hand are AMAZING for the super competitive, organized PvP but garbage for the casual bg hero.
10/11/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Xado
As the title states I am waiting around for them to make adjustments to WW spec so I have an 85 lock and mage just waiting to be leveled as I would like to have a ranged pvp alt. I can't really decide which I want to do so i figured I'd ask the people who know best. So what can you recommend? Lock or mage?

Make a lvl85 lock twink, I been asking locks that are lvl90. How are they at lvl90. I have a lvl89 spriest. And they told me to stick with the spriest, Thier doing alot better than locks. Go with the mage until you find out if locks have gotten better.
10/11/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Sisofmercy

Make a lvl85 lock twink, I been asking locks that are lvl90. How are they at lvl90. I have a lvl89 spriest. And they told me to stick with the spriest, Thier doing alot better than locks. Go with the mage until you find out if locks have gotten better.

wrong warlocks are doing alot better then spriests all the best pvp locks are demonology
Lokthen is full of crap. Warlocks are just fine.

No class is better then others, each class has its strong points against others. Lokthen just like everyone else compares one class with mages...Mages are strong in some situations but so are all the other classes.

Just like many more before me have said, play what you truly enjoy. A class is only as good as the person behind it, if you try to play a class that you don't enjoy just to faceroll you will fail.

As to answer your question, simple...Play what you enjoy.

Both Mage and Warlock are great classes. I personally love the Warlock class and it is my main and has always been. Nothing better then striking fear into the souls of my enemies! =D
Mages right now pull great numbers, but playing a mage is less satisfying than it's ever been.
2 of the main 5 mages on Alliance Duskwood have rerolled since hitting 90, and I just started leveling my lock. I can't speak for end-game lock, but I know that playing a mage at 90 sucks. Hard.

Head over to the mage forums and see what they have to say about it.
[quote="67931825363"]

Warlocks on the other hand are AMAZING for the super competitive, organized PvP but garbage for the casual bg hero.

I beg to differ. i absolutely dominate casual bgs... ABSOLUTELY dominate. #1 on dmg every time, top 3 in kills every time. usually only die 0-5 times max. absolute domination, im not kidding.
10/11/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Czarkasm
Do you like being the focus target in pretty much every situation? Lock is the class for you.

So true. I watch in BGs as alliance run past 4-5 people just to kill me. Of course I don't really watch the other players get mauled to death so I could just be imagining being focused first all the time.
10/12/2012 09:00 AMPosted by Lathun
So true. I watch in BGs as alliance run past 4-5 people just to kill me. Of course I don't really watch the other players get mauled to death so I could just be imagining being focused first all the time.

I agree, more than once I have seen (melee dps players usually) completely ignore everyone else in lieu of attempting to kill me. It's quite likely they're simply used to cataclysm warlocks who you could faceroll in seconds.
I was in the same situation as you. I cannot speak for endgame but leveling up I am enjoying my Warlock much more. I was hesitant at first and started leveling my Mage, got halfway through 86 and was extremely bored. Picked up my Warlock and am having a blast (no pun intended).

One thing that also has turned me off my Mage is the level 90 talents. Yes Warlock's level 90 talents are pretty bad but I cannot stand self-buff type talents (savage roar comes to mind immediately). They are not fun and feel like a chore to keep up.

Now in terms of numbers my Mage was pulling higher deeps in dungeons compared to my Warlock but at least with this guy I can improve. The Mage rotation is completely faceroll and as dry as trying to eat Weet-Bix with no milk. Frost is a little better than fire/arcane but essentially you are just throwing different coloured stuff at the boss. At least with my Warlock the three specs are completely different in terms of play style and aesthetics.

Just my opinion.
10/11/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Xado

If you want a class that is very easy to pick up and be decent at, pick mage. If you want a class that can be difficult to get skilled with but is pretty much godmode once you hit the skillcap, choose lock.
Go lock dude they are known for there Dps
If I were making the choice I'd probably go lock because I'm biased, but making a fire mage atm would not be a mistake at all. Hell, going mage would probably be the smarter thing to do.
Honestly here is how i see it, I played mages and locks both for a long time, if you like to keep up constant damage and LOL while running in circles trolling somebody LOCK
If you want to burst, slow, burst, blink, burst and LOL as they try to get to you before dying MAGE
Try very hard at your class to win, put a lot of time into your character because your a perfectionist LOCK
Learn quickly and get better the more you learn with a lower skill floor MAGE
Get focused and have a rare chance of running away from 5 ppl LOCK
Get focused and freeze everybody in place while blinking and running MAGE
Basicly just decide what of that list of things you like more and choose one of the two

Note: blizzard doesn't recognize the word mage as a correct word if that helps your decision!