Help with my Mage

New Player Help and Guides
Im new to wow and I'm a lvl 12 almost 13 mage I am currently frost but I saw a lvl 14 guy hitting 125-160 normally in battle grounds using arcane is it that much Better I also would like to know what the best staff or wand I can use under 15 or if I'm better off having a friend help me to enchant one with arcane boosting abilities
A few things:

What items someone has equipped can make a huge difference in the damage they can dish out and take. You still have a lot of "white" items (name is in white text) on your character, which is quite normal for a level 12 character. White items have no stats, they're just there for an the armor value. Items with names in colored text (green, blue, purple, gold, orange) have stats. What stats you need depends on what class/spec combo you are.

You are a mage, all mages want cloth armor with lots and lots of intellect, as much as they can get. Other good stats are hit, crit, haste, and spell power.

Spirit, Agility, Strength, Expertise, Dodge, and Parry do absolutely nothing for you and should all be avoided if you can help it without passing up an increase in Intellect.

Stamina does help you in that it increases your health bar, BUT it's on nearly everything anyway so don't go equipping things that only have stamina on them.

What items you should have in your main-hand and off-hand slots is entirely dependent on what will give you the biggest boost to your beneficial stats. Sometimes this will be a 2 handed weapon, other times it will be a weapon and an off-hand item like and orb or book.

You should never be hitting things with your weapons, use your spells. Your weapons are there merely for the extra stats they provide, so completely ignore any damage numbers they have as they don't matter to you because you won't be using them to hit things.

Now that we have the gear rundown taken care of, lets go into all the factors that contributed to the difference in performance you are seeing:

That level 14 player likely had all green or blue items, where you still have quite a few whites, so naturally their damage will be higher because all of the items they were wearing had stats.

Also, level 14 players are still a few levels above you, which means that their natural power capabilities is higher and they have a few more abilities than you do.

Low level PvP is horribly imbalanced, certain specs even within the same class, can have a different damage profile than others of the same level. As you level up things will get all mixed up with different class/spec combos taking the "king of the hill" position and the others will also be in an ever changing order (when sorted by max theoretical damage). When you get to level cap, everyone is on a pretty equal footing, as it's more like a giant tangled game of "rock, paper, scissors" that is heavily influenced by gear and skill.

The Arcane spec naturally is a little more powerful at most levels, but Frost has more utility in PvP because of all the extra traps, slows, escapes, and other crowd control methods at their disposal. Use them liberally in combinations that keep your enemy from reaching you while you are still able to damage to him, and for escape if you find yourself outmatched.

Your main spells are on the frost spectrum, but yeah, you'll need to make use of fire and even some arcane spells until you get a few more of your basic frost abilities. BUT that doesn't mean you should go out and enchant your items with arcane bonuses. Arcane magic isn't more powerful than frost, it's the arcane spec with it's own spells and spell bonuses that makes it have a bit more "oomph". But like I said, you have your own way to make sure you survive fights with all those neat spells that keep your enemy from reaching you.
10/02/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Avanna
You still have a lot of "white" items (name is in white text) on your character, which is quite normal for a level 12 character.

And FYI, you'll start finding "green" items as quest rewards and the occasional loot drop now, as well as a "blue" quest reward once in a while. At 15 you can begin running dungeons, where you'll find more blues, but unless you're on a trial account, due to the speed of leveling nowadays it'll be a while before you can maintain a full set of really good gear. There are a few buff items you can use as well that increase your Intellect, like elixirs to drink and wizard oils for your weapons.

As far as enchanting and such, I honestly wouldn't bother because you'll be going through gear so fast for a while yet. There's very little available at that level, but if you don't plan on running dungeons you can check the items listed here at Wowhead:
http://www.wowhead.com/items=2.10?filter=maxrl=15;si=2;cr=23;crs=1;crv=1;gb=3#quest

You'll probably be at or near level 20 by the time you can get the first staff that's listed, but if your friend can slap on a +22 Int enchant, it'll last for several levels.

10/02/2012 11:33 AMPosted by Huglife
I saw a lvl 14 guy hitting 125-160 normally in battle grounds using arcane is it that much Better

Arcane doesn't have much to work with at that level, so it's a lot more likely that guy was using gear called "heirlooms," which was probably purchased by one of their higher-level toons. That kind of gear can give a boost to EXP gain, and has better stats than what you usually find while questing.
Your main problem is that only two pieces of your gear are granting bonuses and they aren't very good bonuses.

Get outfitted in gear granting Intellect bonuses and you'll see a big increase in your damage.
Spirit, ....do absolutely nothing for you and should all be avoided if you can help it without passing up an increase in Intellect.

soo.... tired of this.. spirit does help in regening mana... not much but saying it does nothing is just wrong.. Int is king but.. just misleading.
Spirit only helps mages with out of combat mana regen you can get 5x the out of combat regen from the food you can make or water from an inn. It does not help with in combat regen. Any mage that is rocking spirit thinking it's doing them good is wrong. My paladin gets crit from AGI but you don't see her wearing that do ya?

Spirit does nothing for mages.
all true.. but saying it does nothing is still a wrong statement... and low lvl mages can use all the help they can. older foods at low lvl seemed to give a spirit/sta boost.. so whats up with that??
Just always pokes at my buttons when I read this one.. :)
My understanding was the MoP reworked what Spirit and Intellect do. Intellect no longer increases your mana pool was my understanding - and everyone is mana capped.

Which makes Spirit more important for casters than it was before. Also, some classes like Shadow Priests get extra Hit from Spirit.

But I'm only going off what I've heard about Priests and Shamans here.

I'm not that informed on this topic. But are we sure Spirit still does the same stuff it did in Cataclysm?
10/03/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Mordressaa
older foods at low lvl seemed to give a spirit/sta boost.. so whats up with that??

When those foods were put into the game, spirit may have been useful for DPS casters. All the stats were messed up and intertwined back then. I've looked at the old stat recommendations from Classic and honestly I can't make heads or tails of any reasonable logic behind why the various classes/specs were assigned the stats they got.

But today, spirit IS useless to a mage. It only affects out-of-combat regen for them. They'd get MUCH better results by using mana restorative drinks in between fights, and instead take caster DPS gear with more intellect and hit on it over taking items that trade some of that for spirit.

So yes, for a mage, if spirit can be avoided without sacrificing an intellect boost, they should do so.
10/03/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Rhymetha
Intellect no longer increases your mana pool was my understanding - and everyone is mana capped.

Yes, intellect no longer increases the mana pool, BUT it still increases spell power and gives a small smattering of other stats as well.

It's basically now a true caster equal to Agility (for leather & mail physical DPS) and Strength (Plate physical DPS), as neither of those increased their user's resource pools.
True once upon a time spirit gave all casters more in combat mana regen and all characters faster health regen that's changed. Stats were weird back in the day lol
10/03/2012 12:13 PMPosted by Jilixx
True once upon a time spirit gave all casters more in combat mana regen and all characters faster health regen that's changed. Stats were weird back in the day lol

Ahh, that explains why Protection warriors were marked down as needing stamina/spirit in the Bradyguide for Classic WoW I got with the battlechest when I first started playing, and I picked it up half-way through wrath.
Spirit's hard to avoid while leveling though, so the main point is that mages still shouldn't go looking for it, especially after 74 when we get Nether Attunement and our Haste rating is what speeds up mana regen.
10/03/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Avanna

Ahh, that explains why Protection warriors were marked down as needing stamina/spirit in the Bradyguide for Classic WoW I got with the battlechest when I first started playing, and I picked it up half-way through wrath.

There is still a use for this guide. I roll all my D20's on it.
10/03/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Avanna

I think that guide also included shaman tanking and plainsrunning. It's pretty hilarious. I need to go find mine again.