BMAH auction timers don't end @ 30 mins

General Discussion
Tuesday night as I was in the general area I made a stop at the BMAH and noticed a Hippogryph Hatchling. Everyone who knows me knows I have a problem with pets. I should be in like pet collector's anonymous or something. Anyway, I note the time left as greater than 12 hours and am happy that I will be home from work before I need to check on it again. All day yesterday as I check on it, it lists between 2 and 12 hours. This is fine, I set an alarm on my phone for 2 hours and carry on with other things.

As the time of day nears that I had first seen it I realize that I need to stay logged in. That it had been listed at "greater than 12" and will any moment go to short, which is less than 30 minutes. I want to know exactly the minute the auction is scheduled to end so I stay. At 9:42 local time I am the only one at the BMAH as the time changes, which makes me the only person on the server aware of when the auction will end. Sweet! The pet is mine. Heck, this leaves me 8 minutes to get to my movie afterward.

Here is where I run into a problem. As the bid war begins, I set comfortably knowing that it isn't time yet. Then as time nears I bid, but 10:12 comes and goes and the auction doesn't end... 10:15... 10:20... 10:24... Finally it is 12 minutes past when the auction should have ended. There was a point at which the auction switched to saying there was less than 30 minutes left and that time has long since come and gone. I'm far in debt, I bid everything I have, everything my husband has and the little I borrowed from a friend amused by watching his first bid war and my passion for pets. I throw pretty much 65k at the pet, pray that that draenei scum doesn't have that much gold and log off hoping my husband and I only missed credits.

So here is the thing. What the heck is the problem with the timer on the auctions? With every auction site and service available on the internet, when the time is up it is up. It seems though that with the BMAH that bidding seems to extend the time. This pretty much means that whoever has the most gold will win in the end, period. There is no luck, no getting your bid in at the last moment before it ends. There is simply having more gold and wanting it more. I am simply lucky to have had the means at my disposal to outbid someone else. But this is not the way auctions are supposed to work and I am very disappointed in the BMAH. I don't mind the gold I spent, I would have spent more if I had it, I mind the BMAH mechanics.
The timers do seem wonky. I went there today and all it had listed for hours was completed auctions.
Hmm maybe the time on it isn't perfect for a reason. Like on eBay how there are programs to place a bid at the very last second before it closes. Maybe they have done this to prevent something similar from taking place with an addon.
If you did 30 seconds of research you would know that putting a bid on an item increases the remaining time by a small amount...
I was searching online for something like that but didn't find it. So no, 30 seconds of research wouldn't yield that information. Source please?
from http://www.wowwiki.com/Auction_House and http://www.wowpedia.com/Auction_House

Note: If an item receives a large number of bids in a short amount of time, the duration on that item will be automatically increased by the AH (e.g., a Short length will be changed to Medium, and a Medium to Long). It appears that the change in length is to the minimum amount for that length, not the maximum. I.e., a change from Medium to Long changes the length to 2 hours, not 12.

Also see these threads:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2179668611
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6397850014
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6678737898
BMAH behavior sounds as if it works like the normal AH, which may or may not be exactly as Angles indicates. Bidding during the Short time frame *can* bump it out. E-Bay style sniping is not easy, and so far as I recall, never has been.

From Wowwiki: Note:
If an item receives a large number of bids in a short amount of time, the duration on that item will be automatically increased by the AH (e.g., a Short length will be changed to Medium, and a Medium to Long). It appears that the change in length is to the minimum amount for that length, not the maximum. I.e., a change from Medium to Long changes the length to 2 hours, not 12.

ETA: great minds think alike. :)
10/11/2012 06:45 AMPosted by Reeverswoman
The timers do seem wonky

Working as intended. The BMAH works the same as the normal AH. If a bid is placed, time is added to the auction to prevent sniping.

10/11/2012 07:01 AMPosted by Undergrowth
ETA: great minds think alike. :)

QFT :P
WELL. Did you win the pet?
Yes, I did get the pet. I bid, logged off and went the the movies. I could hardly watch though. Apparently I just got lucky and ran that alliance out of money that bid. I still think it's stupid and that the BMAH would be far more exciting with sniping. It is the BMAH after all.
10/11/2012 06:40 AMPosted by Holymoo
This pretty much means that whoever has the most gold will win in the end, period. There is no luck, no getting your bid in at the last moment before it ends. There is simply having more gold and wanting it more. I am simply lucky to have had the means at my disposal to outbid someone else. But this is not the way auctions are supposed to work and I am very disappointed in the BMAH. I don't mind the gold I spent, I would have spent more if I had it, I mind the BMAH mechanics.

This is the way auctions are supposed to work. The way auctions are NOT supposed to work is to have someone like you camping it waiting to snipe it at the last second. The very spirit of an auction is to sell something to the highest bidder, not whoever has the most time to camp it and snipe it.

Look at what you wrote! You think it's ok for whoever has the most time to camp should win it but not the person willing to bid the highest? That is so lame!
10/11/2012 07:25 AMPosted by Holymoo
Yes, I did get the pet.
Well thats good!

I have yet to find anything in the BMAH that has stuck my fancy :(
Today is the first time I have seen an item worth bidding on A ROCKET CHICKEN but it quickly bidded out of my price range :(
I vaguely remember reading something back in Vanilla about how bidding on an item increases the auction's duration by 5 minutes. Not sure if this exact interval is still being used, but it sounds like a similar mechanic is being used based on what others have posted.
Once again an argument for Remote AH working for the BMAH...

~K
Multiple bids (aka bid wars) increase the time frame.

You should bid what you are willing to pay, not try to snipe in WoW. WoW purposefully makes sniping hard because that is not how they want the AH to work.

If you want to bid in increments, you should expect it to last far longer than what it states, especially if you plan on fighting with others for it.

Isnt that bird only 10$? Or can it not be bought anymore?
My understanding is that when a bid is placed very close to the end time, the end time gets extended a little bit. The more "last second" bids, the more the time gets extended.
Eventually the end time "catches up" to all the extensions and the auction ends, high bidder at that time wins.
I collect battle pets also... I have over 400 unique pets and farm the Spirit pets each day but I would NEVER pay over say 10k for any pet let alone a trading card pet that I can get off of ebay if I REALLY wanted it, Anyways glad you got the pet but it sounds like at the BMAH people get overcharged by ALOT :)