Just The Hunter and His Pet - Soloing Guide

Hunter
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next

Gold used to be included in this list but they heavily nerfed the gold in all old instances. For example I used to solo BWL for the gold and vendoring of the drops. I would come out of there with about 1500 gold. Which wasnt bad for 30 or so minutes of work. Now each boss drops about 5 gold each.

With the removal of the cap on dailies you can make more money than you can with old instances. Not hating, just stating. I LOVE soloing old content btw but you might want to add this to your guide.

Totally disagree with the money. Solo raiding was never dependent on boss gold alone, it was just a nice lump. Even with the nerf you are still vendoring thousands assuming you pick up everything/make bandages(if not ah'ing cloth).
Dailies are a nice chunk, but still fall short if you're actively burning old raids.
12/03/2012 10:02 PMPosted by Kareena
GREAT GUIDE!!! for lower levels, I recommend a bear / goretusk for the pet; great tank ability, esp. for BM. Then, when high enough, go to turtle...as you say, "best for tanking on the BM track".
Hey thanks! I appreciate it! I also pretty much agree that the turtle is overall the best, although spirit beasts are also good depending on the situation. At lower levels I've found you could pretty much use any pet really.

Totally disagree with the money. Solo raiding was never dependent on boss gold alone, it was just a nice lump. Even with the nerf you are still vendoring thousands assuming you pick up everything/make bandages(if not ah'ing cloth).
Dailies are a nice chunk, but still fall short if you're actively burning old raids.
It's another valid point. I said earlier in the thread you can make more gold through dailies, which I'll still stand by. However, it also highly depends on how many raids you plan on soloing and which ones you're soloing. So if you solo all of say, nax and most of ICC, you prolly will earn more gold than you would through dailies. However, those raids would be done for the week while dailies are... daily. You'd have to do pretty much every raid and it would be heavily loot dependent to compensate for the gold that you could be earning through dailies.

Although, doing both is probably the best way to go anyway.
Both is best for sure.
I didn't mean to imply that dailies aren't useful, just that the boss gold nerf didn't really hurt as bad as it seems.

I tend to separate solo runs throughout the week, mixing in dailies between runs.

Although it's not so much loot dependent to me as boss loot is a tiny chunk in my runs. It's mainly the greens, greys, and cloth(bandaids are worth far more than the older cloths). Depending on which instance, the epics are sometimes worth less than the greens or blues you randomly gain.

I leave nothing behind and can't really auction much since this server has a terrible economy horde side, so the majority is just vendored, but it adds up in a hurry. Running all classic, bc, and most wrath raids over the course of a week fattens the wallet a great deal.
Added a new, more personal, subsection as to why I enjoy soloing and how it can be useful for fellow hunters (which covers the gold and income amounts a few people have brought up).
exactly what i was looking for. Thanks
12/10/2012 10:31 PMPosted by Melissana
exactly what i was looking for. Thanks
Glad this was helpful!
Thank you for the guide and your time spent on it!

Very much appreciated!
I may be a few days late, but CONGRATULATIONS on your guide officially becoming a Sticky! It's an excellent guide, and a welcome addition to the short list of Stickies in the Hunter forum!
Thank you for the guide and your time spent on it!

Very much appreciated!
Was my pleasure to write it!

12/11/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Beatrice
I may be a few days late, but CONGRATULATIONS on your guide officially becoming a Sticky! It's an excellent guide, and a welcome addition to the short list of Stickies in the Hunter forum!
Haha thank you :)
Just as an update, when 5.2 rolls around I'll be making further updates to this guide as far as glyphs, my thoughts on current talent choices, and I'll most likely be adding a movement section to the guide under the playstyle section to explain a few things.
Actually, the only place Ive used a tenacity/tank pet is the obsidian sanctum under wyrmrest. Everything else is a dps. Yesterday I was soloing BC raids and it was all about pumping out the dps. Especially on the pit demon in the horde base of hyjal. Once you get that debuff on you that makes a demon spring out of you, you need to kill him as fast as possible before that kills you. (it still kills you when he dies, but at least he is dead too). Same with the Illidari council and Gorefiend. (of course Reliquary of Souls is about patience, or you kill yourself)
12/24/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Jatarri
Actually, the only place Ive used a tenacity/tank pet is the obsidian sanctum under wyrmrest. Everything else is a dps. Yesterday I was soloing BC raids and it was all about pumping out the dps. Especially on the pit demon in the horde base of hyjal. Once you get that debuff on you that makes a demon spring out of you, you need to kill him as fast as possible before that kills you. (it still kills you when he dies, but at least he is dead too). Same with the Illidari council and Gorefiend. (of course Reliquary of Souls is about patience, or you kill yourself)
For a lot of the older encounters, ferocity does work just fine, however for a lot of the more advanced encounters (which this guide is meant to help out people with), tenacity is simply a must (such as atramedes).
12/25/2012 06:12 PMPosted by Lazyguide
For a lot of the older encounters, ferocity does work just fine, however for a lot of the more advanced encounters (which this guide is meant to help out people with), tenacity is simply a must (such as atramedes).

Ah, gotcha. It is indeed an awesome guide.
12/26/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Jatarri
Ah, gotcha. It is indeed an awesome guide.
Thanks! I'll be making updates to it within the next few days most likely, so if you have any suggestions (such as the ferocity thing, I'll have to check to make sure I didn't touch on that already), please feel free to share them because I'm certain not everything in the guide is perfect (yet)!
Have hunters cleared Firelands or DS yet on 10man normal?

How do you think Hunters are compared to DKs at soloing old content?
Have hunters cleared Firelands or DS yet on 10man normal?

How do you think Hunters are compared to DKs at soloing old content?
As far as I know, the only boss that can be soloed from FL is Aly. As for DS, I'm more than certain Morchok (heroic) is soloable as I've attempted it before in my gear and made progress. Did not down it, however I think anyone with much better gear and skill could easily accomplish it. I'm unsure on normal Morchok however due to his debuff making your pet take absurd damage and having to constantly switch it out.

As for other DS encounters, I'm unsure if it's soloable by hunters, however I believe the ranbow ooze boss (I forget his name) can be done, maybe not in current gear but I think it could be done. Deathwing is also soloable, however I'm not sure if hunters can do it (Mionelol did it as a DK).

My thoughts on Hunter vs DK for soloing, I believe for most encounters DKs are vastly superior when it comes to soloing. There are some niche encounters where hunters are vastly superior to DKs however due to mechanics (such as lady deathwhisper).

I think blood DKs are best at soloing simply because they have strong damage output from their vengeance staying up, their abundance of heals, and since they are alone they can avoid certain mechanics that hunters cannot with their pet. Hunters can avoid certain mechanics DKs can't because of the pet as well, however DKs can usually work around those mechanics anyway.
Cool man thanks for the reply!
01/14/2013 06:35 PMPosted by Solojoe
Cool man thanks for the reply!
No problem, my pleasure!
I just started soloing some BC raids for transmog/funsies after recently reaching 90 and I've noticed that my pet isn't holding aggro on bosses at all. I've seen some hearsay that this is because a recent patch made most bosses immune to growl, thus making tenacity and tank pets such as turtles pretty much worthless during a boss fight (unless there are some threatening adds they can still taunt like during M'uru) over the added dps of a ferocity/cunning pet.

12/24/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Jatarri
Especially on the pit demon in the horde base of hyjal. Once you get that debuff on you that makes a demon spring out of you, you need to kill him as fast as possible before that kills you. (it still kills you when he dies, but at least he is dead too).

Dismiss your pet and engage him before he aggros any NPCs, he won't use that ability if you are the only one fighting him.
01/15/2013 01:29 AMPosted by Rarh
I just started soloing some BC raids for transmog/funsies after recently reaching 90 and I've noticed that my pet isn't holding aggro on bosses at all. I've seen some hearsay that this is because a recent patch made most bosses immune to growl, thus making tenacity and tank pets such as turtles pretty much worthless during a boss fight (unless there are some threatening adds they can still taunt like during M'uru) over the added dps of a ferocity/cunning pet.
I've never had problems with my agro, however I'm unsure about the growl. I can check up on that if you want, but I've found often the best way to handle threat is to use MD whenever it's off CD.