Elemental vs. Enhancement (PvE)

Shaman
Hi guys, I've been playing this shaman for quite some time. I played Ele/Resto mid-Wrath but switched to Enh/Resto near the end and haven't looked back since. I really liked Enh in Wrath, and in Cataclysm it changed, but it was still pretty fun. MoP didn't change too much, but I feel like Enh has gotten weaker. I quested all the way to 90 as Enh, collecting some off-spec Resto gear as I went. So, using my Resto gear, decided to give Elemental a try. Holy burst damage. I felt like I was able to dish out so much more damage. Using Ascendance and spamming Lava Burst and just seeing crit after crit after crit was really satisfying. But, I didn't want to abandon Enh which I have stuck to for so long, even if it seems weaker. It seems like there are also a lot of gaps in the rotation which I'm not a huge fan of (Elemental Blast helps this a bit.) So, my question is, should I stick with Enhancement or switch to Elemental? Any tips or anything you guys can share that might influence my choice? Thanks!
I think you should base it on what you honestly like to play the most; they are two entirely different play styles. You shouldn't base it on the numbers because I can tell you now; in just heroic gear (not even all heroic gear) I am pulling over 40k dps in heroics in Enhancement. Elemental is about the same scale; just different abilities. There is no "one is better than the other" except for your INDIVIDUAL preference. I can tell you for sure that my Enhancement damage has improved since MoP and since 5.0. Enhancement has a VERY specific rotation due to all our globals though so if you make a mistake your DPS will go down... its just that simple
10/09/2012 02:15 PMPosted by Valvados
I think you should base it on what you honestly like to play the most; they are two entirely different play styles. You shouldn't base it on the numbers because I can tell you now; in just heroic gear (not even all heroic gear) I am pulling over 40k dps in heroics in Enhancement. Elemental is about the same scale; just different abilities. There is no "one is better than the other" except for your INDIVIDUAL preference. I can tell you for sure that my Enhancement damage has improved since MoP and since 5.0. Enhancement has a VERY specific rotation due to all our globals though so if you make a mistake your DPS will go down... its just that simple

Yeah, Enh always had its "priority system", which I like. I guess I will try to stick with Enhancement for a while longer before I make a decision.
i played elemental until 90, and had a lot of fun with the burst damage on wrath/cata bosses; i tried enhance on PTR but didn't know the mechanics so never tried it again. But our Lava Lash is a similar 'big number' to Lava Burst. there are a lot of cooldowns to stack for huge bursts, there's just a lot more to do in enhance. ele gets old after a while, its all about gear. if an enhance blows wolves, fire elemental, stormlash, whatever agi trinks, and ascendance for good measure, their dps flies off the meter.

also, you can dps while moving