Premium Servers

General Discussion
Where do I sign up for the "Premium Forum" that is free of dead horse beating, nostalgia, QQ and trolls.
I certainly wouldn't do it, but I'd love for their to be a server specifically to pacify the never-ending whining of vanilla fanatics. Truth be told it would be a very low-pop server as the vanilla apologists would quickly realize that mindless time sinks for the sheer sake of time sinks do not in fact equal challenging or fun content.

#my2cents
10/05/2012 12:46 PMPosted by Lakcil
It's like some people don't spend every waking moment in the forums so they don't know things that already been requested ad nauseum.

or pfft, iunno, a search

even a google search will (most likely) pop up with hundreds of forums posts

Hell, how about even using basic logic?

How is Blizzard going to make money off a game that died almost a decade ago?

Nobody would play on these servers, at least not for long. Servers that never get new content, ever? People just don't pay to play games like that.
If you thought that the complaining about the lack of content was bad for DS imagine that for those servers all the time.
Would cost you a little more each month for subscription.

TBC server
Wrath server
Cata server

Talents would be reverted back to what the system was in that particualr expac.

Would you do it?

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ev9qaf.gif
10/05/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Moorel
Would you do it?

Yes. I'd happily pay $30- a month for access to vanilla and tbc servers.

That said don't hold your breath that it will happen anytime soon (though I do believe it will happened eventually).
lol
10/05/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Danadmcballs
'd pay an extra $5 / month for people to read through threads, rather than post the same 10 topics over and over and over again.

Yet we have the same !@#$% posting this in rethreads all the time
Could we have a premium service that would let us play in Hello Kitty universe? I mean, wouldnt it be cool to play as Chococat?
Try making a Wrath guild, TBC guild, or Vanilla guild. Everyone in the guild locks their toon at the specified level, and only gets items, gear and professions that were available during the expansion.

You'll see exactly why Blizzard will never make these servers. No one, and I mean no one, sticks with it. As soon as it turns int actually progression, they say "this is stupid, I'm leveling my toon".

If Blizz opened up such servers, I can guarantee you one of the first demands out of those players would be to be able to move their toon back to a live server.

This.

Edit: on the other hand, a progression server where the game evolves as the playerbase passes content and where everyone, to join the server, must start from square 1 (like the EQ progression servers just WoW-style), would be quite cool.

I just don't buy the hype that any substantial (i.e. more than 30) amount of people would pay for the operation of static servers on an ongoing basis. It's just not likely.
10/05/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Glítch
Would you do it?

Yes. I'd happily pay $30- a month for access to vanilla and tbc servers.

That said don't hold your breath that it will happen anytime soon (though I do believe it will happened eventually).

lol @ paying twice the price for half the game
Here's one way I could see Blizzard actually setting up Classic Servers:

- You pay for an annual pass. No monthly fee where some players could cancel their subscription after they realize Classic Servers are boring as hell.

- Get at least 10,000 players to subscribe to this system. If at least 10,000 players agree to pay $15/month (or more) to play on a Classic Server, then I wouldn't see why Blizzard couldn't setup 1 server per 10,000 people who wanna pay for Classic Servers.

I'm quite certain the reason why they don't wanna bother with classic servers is because they just don't know how much or how little people are actually gonna play this on a regular basis and all year long. If people quit playing Classic and go back to MoP, then that means they are wasting money keeping those servers up for nothing. But if it's super popular for only a short amount of time, then they may end up settting up too many servers, and the day people lose interest because it's old oudated content that most of us already played, then again, they will end up with un-used servers.

But I guess if they lock players into paying all year long and people do get bored and quit, at least Blizzard won't be losing money in the process for experimenting.
Would cost you a little more each month for subscription.

TBC server
Wrath server
Cata server

Talents would be reverted back to what the system was in that particualr expac.

Would you do it?

Been a while, so....

Summary of Blizzard's public stance:

1. Blizz does not believe there are enough people interested in utilizing this idea long term to justify the various costs necessary to bring it about.

2. Blizz feels this idea is counter to the nature of MMO’s; non-progression equates to stagnation and therefore eventual boredom.

3. The original game code does not exist in that form anymore. All the old data has been replaced, with the newer data which was not saved (archived) for later reuse. It was over-written and destroyed. “There is no switch to flip on the realms to roll back years of patches and changes…” In keeping with the sentiment in expressed in #2, above, it’s gone, never to return. Even if it were “recoverable” by other means it would still require lengthy and expensive rewrite.

4. They have no plans or desire to recreate the original version from scratch. They refer to the notion of attempting to do so as “a logistical nightmare,”… and in keeping with their stance in #1, above the time, money and resources required are prohibitive and unjustified.

To paraphrase it all: “Too much cost, too little interest and it’s not what the game is about… we’re not doing it.”

More detailed information available on request.

Oh, and this topic is considered "dead horse", meaning it's been beat to death... and beyond.

When you encounter a dead horse you don't:

• Buy a stronger whip.
  • Change riders.
  • Say things like, “This is the way we always have ridden this horse.”
  • Appoint a committee to study the horse.
  • Arrange to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
  • Create a training session to increase our riding ability.
  • Harness several dead horses together for increased speed.
  • Declare the “No horse is too dead to beat.” (a particular favorite here)
  • Provide additional funding to increase the horse’s performance.
  • Declare the horse is, “better, faster, and cheaper,” when dead.
  • Study alternative uses for dead horses.
  • Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.
  • and you deffinitely don't keep creating new threads about it in the forums.

Lakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
    Here's one way I could see Blizzard actually setting up Classic Servers:

- You pay for an annual pass. No monthly fee where some players could cancel their subscription after they realize Classic Servers are boring as hell.

- Get at least 10,000 players to subscribe to this system. If at least 10,000 players agree to pay $15/month (or more) to play on a Classic Server, then I wouldn't see why Blizzard couldn't setup 1 server per 10,000 people who wanna pay for Classic Servers.

I'm quite certain the reason why they don't wanna bother with classic servers is because they just don't know how much or how little people are actually gonna play this on a regular basis and all year long. If people quit playing Classic and go back to MoP, then that means they are wasting money keeping those servers up for nothing. But if it's super popular for only a short amount of time, then they may end up settting up too many servers, and the day people lose interest because it's old oudated content that most of us already played, then again, they will end up with un-used servers.

But I guess if they lock players into paying all year long and people do get bored and quit, at least Blizzard won't be losing money in the process for experimenting.

Those who argue for “Classic”, “Vanilla”, “Old Content”, “Old Style”, “Realm Specific”, “Locked Progression”, “Throwback”, “Retro”, “Premium” (or any other variant thereof) servers frequently fail to put real thought into their idea. Consider how this would work in similar situations in other venues.

The movie industry: “The earliest days of film were so much better, we really had fun and such a sense of adventure. We really had to work at understanding what was going on and those that couldn’t read the subtitles were just bad. We want theaters that play only silent films (Vanilla), those were so awesome and we miss them so much. For those that want black and white “talkies” (BC) we can maybe have some that do those, but no further. Technicolor (WotLK) is where the studio went wrong and this fancy Bullet-Time fx (Cata) junk is just taking the whole thing in the wrong direction…Blizz, fix it now! Give us our silent films back!”

The auto industry: We want our Model-T’s back (Vanilla)… Henry Ford’s stuff was so awesome (blah, blah)…We could support maybe the Mustang (BC), but no further (blah, blah)… Datsun’s 280Z (WotLK) is where it all went wrong (blah, blah)…Chrysler Minivans (Cata) are just too bad to deal with (blah, blah)."

Proponents are asking for a regression to the past where things were not better than they are now. And they either want to drag everyone else in the game with them… or the ability to segregate themselves from everyone else so they can indulge in their spasm(s) of nostalgia. Not only does the majority of the player base not want that, neither does Blizz. Not enough people want it to justify the costs of doing it and… most importantly… it goes against the progressive vision the company and players have for the game as a whole.

You will have no better chance of getting Blizz to do this than you would convincing the movie industry to revert to silent or even black and white only films or the auto industry to revert to producing cars like the Edsel.
    10/05/2012 01:29 PMPosted by Mork

lol @ you thinking your opinion is fact.
    10/05/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Glítch

lol @ you thinking your opinion is fact.

It's not an opinion. You would, quite literally, be paying TWICE the current subscription cost for what amounts to half (really, less than half) the content of the current game.
    10/05/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Aberzombie
    You will have no better chance of getting Blizz to do this than you would convincing the movie industry to revert to silent or even black and white only films or the auto industry to revert to producing cars like the Edsel.

I agree with the majority of your post... except for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Artist_%28film%29
    10/05/2012 03:22 PMPosted by Mork
    It's not an opinion. You would, quite literally, be paying TWICE the current subscription cost for what amounts to half (really, less than half) the content of the current game.

Depends on what you consider content. To me farmville and pokemon isn't content. It's not something I'll spend time on anyway along with a lot of the other fluff that's been added in mop. To me "content" is 5mans, bgs, and raids and that's what vanilla and tbc did best. And that's why i'd HAPPILY pay double my sub for that.
    10/05/2012 09:45 PMPosted by Glítch

Depends on what you consider content. To me farmville and pokemon isn't content. It's not something I'll spend time on anyway along with a lot of the other fluff that's been added in mop. To me "content" is 5mans, bgs, and raids and that's what vanilla and tbc did best. And that's why i'd HAPPILY pay double my sub for that.

And you'd be getting less than half the current content. You have most of the vanilla raids, all of the BC raids, all of the Wrath raids, all of the Cata raids, and the first tier of MoP raids with your current subscription.

With a sub to "Premium" servers, you'd only have access to Vanilla and TBC raids - less than half of what is currently available, not even counting the vast array of 5-mans, BGs and arenas. At which point, I must once again guffaw at the idea of paying twice the price for less than half the content. That you would do that, and think you're getting a better game, speaks volumes about your intelligence and attitude.