A Paladin's Holy Avenger

Story Forum
Anyone else disappointed at the presumable end of the Ashbringer storyline? With the Holy Avenger Talent, your weapon changes into the Ashbringer, therefore we could assume it is no longer ever going to be attainable, ending this Paladin's dream
It pretty much became a pipedream when Tirion got the Ashbringer in Wrath

Unless he goes crazy and becomes a loot pinata, we won't get it
The ending of the Ashbringer storyline was a horrible disappointment. After most of Vanilla and BC spent putting together clues, discussing possibilities, and searching after every little rumor, Ashbringer is recovered in a comic, handed to Tirion as a matter of course, and the most real interaction a PC gets with it is recovering it from a Vrykul Garbage heap.

I keep hoping someday they make Tirion lose it or give it up, or it turns out to have been a fake all along, because what a raw deal.
The ending of the Ashbringer storyline was a horrible disappointment. After most of Vanilla and BC spent putting together clues, discussing possibilities, and searching after every little rumor, Ashbringer is recovered in a comic, handed to Tirion as a matter of course, and the most real interaction a PC gets with it is recovering it from a Vrykul Garbage heap.

I keep hoping someday they make Tirion lose it or give it up, or it turns out to have been a fake all along, because what a raw deal.

Agreed.

Oh well, at least it wasn't reduced to a lvl 30ish blue like Killmaim and that other axe.

I'm probably the only one actually glad that it didn't end up being some weapon people could grind for their characters to sit in their respective cities and look pretty. Ashbringer should not have had the same fate as Atiesh, Shadowmourne, Thunderfury and Sulfuras.

I'm probably the only one actually glad that it didn't end up being some weapon people could grind for their characters to sit in their respective cities and look pretty. Ashbringer should not have had the same fate as Atiesh, Shadowmourne, Thunderfury and Sulfuras.

Except thats exactly what happened to it.

Tirion currently sits in Hearthglen looking pretty and doing nothing with it.
10/05/2012 06:43 PMPosted by Jaelara

The Ashbringer sundered Frostmourne. There was nothing fake about it.

Of course Tirion has done nothing of note since that battle, so taking it away from him would probably be for the best. Perhaps it will be passed on to Turalyon (who would use to it to incinerate his sister-in-law).

If they were going to make the Ashbringer into an obtainable legendary weapon, it should have happened in Icecrown Citadel. Tirion could have been killed by Arthas (necessitating that one of the player characters takes up the sword to finish the fight) or relinquished the blade when he decided to become the Jailer of the Damned (in this scenario, Bolvar would have died at the Wrathgate and remained dead).

10/05/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Skytotem
Oh well, at least it wasn't reduced to a lvl 30ish blue like Killmaim and that other axe.

Considering how powerful they were in Warcraft III... Killmaim and Serathil should have either been suitably strong (end-game epics) or unobtainable (Rexxar's personal weapons).

10/05/2012 11:46 PMPosted by Briswald

The versions of Thunderfury and Sulfuras used by mortals are just miniature elementium replicas of their gargantuan namesakes. Shadowmourne was built by a player character, so it had no established history behind it (unless you count its time as Light's Vengeance).

Gorehowl and Atiesh appeared in Warcraft III, though they were unnamed and we knew nothing of them beyond "Grom's axe" and "Medivh's staff". Now that Garrosh has Gorehowl and Med'an has Atiesh, it's probably safe to say the in-game item are non-canon anyway.
Finding out that Corrupted Ashbringer literally didn't end up panning out into anything was one of my biggest disappoints ever as a player :(
10/05/2012 06:43 PMPosted by Jaelara

I completely agree. Wrath was such an awesome, dark expansion and it was all nullified by the end of the Ashbringer storyline.

...The opening cinematic of Wrath of the Lich King...

As a very harsh critic of storytelling, script, acting - etc, I have no problem saying the opening cinematic of the Wrath expansion is one of the greatest pieces of modern art-form I have ever seen. It is FULL of substance. From the visuals and script, there is so much the viewer can understand and they don't even have to be lore-buffs.

Except thats exactly what happened to it.

Tirion currently sits in Hearthglen looking pretty and doing nothing with it.

I think he means PC's, not NPC's. Similar to how people schlum around Stormwind and Orgrimmar with Thunderfury, just because they can.

To be totally honest, while i am slightly dissapointed in how the Askbringer story ended, i am personally glad it went to an NPC instead of being another piece of vanity loot. It keeps it in the story-box for further use, should we ever need it.

I think he means PC's, not NPC's. Similar to how people schlum around Stormwind and Orgrimmar with Thunderfury, just because they can.

I do get to schlum around Stormwind with my Ashbringer though. It's just all evil and stuff.
10/06/2012 01:09 AMPosted by Egrem
Perhaps it will be passed on to Turalyon (who would use to it to incinerate his sister-in-law)

Knowing Blizzard Turalyon would probably end up neutral.
10/06/2012 07:56 PMPosted by Elecia

Or killed off and replaced by Anduin.

God forbid.
10/06/2012 07:56 PMPosted by Elecia
Perhaps it will be passed on to Turalyon (who would use to it to incinerate his sister-in-law)

Most people, I think, would be fine with Thrall-neutral as opposed to Malfurion-neutral. Malfurion-neutral just pisses people off.

Alleria needs to be diehard Alliance, though.
The Ashbringer, could be another step in an immense part of lore for Blizz, imagine what would need to be done 11 different class specific legendary weapons, (Rogues already got their own, but hey, Wrathion is still around) taking each class down its own lore paths, back to the origins of each Prime character, and discovering the most powerful weapons throughout time. (Yes, i realize with the fall of the dragons, time travel via the Caverns of time may be difficult)