Christie Golden's a good author...

Story Forum
And yet, and yet...
And yet... Dragon Romance scenes.
And yet, Mary Sue Thrall

Jaina also had Mary Sue elements, especially in Shattering. The moment someone started arguing with Jaina, Golden wouldn't spare words to describe how Jaina was right and knew she was right. It was tiring.
And yet, she isn't.

She isn't terrible. None of Blizzards authors are terrible. All of them are on par, though others have their own strengths.

Her most annoying thing is that she tends to be unable to separate the game world from the, well.. World of Azeroth. Hunters don't exist as a class. It bugs me to see hunters, pets and all, mentioned in literary form.
10/07/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Ferlion
Her most annoying thing is that she tends to be unable to separate the game world from the, well.. World of Azeroth. Hunters don't exist as a class. It bugs me to see hunters, pets and all, mentioned in literary form.
This would be my major complaint as well.

I liked Lord of the Clans but in Rise of the Horde their were references to Warlocks summoning demons with glowing purple cubes over their heads and the demons simply appearing at their side.

Game mechanics just shouldn't be literally transported unmodified into writing. It makes no sense.

It would be like mentioning that Troll women were unable to blink in the novels. Or saying that the humans all had cleft lips like in the game. It's just stupid. Will mounts be instantly appearing under Varian's !@# with a poof of smoke in some novel as well?
Ohh yeah. I totally forgot about Rise of the Horde.. It's horrible.
[quote="67937503196"]

I liked Lord of the Clans but in Rise of the Horde their were references to Warlocks summoning demons with glowing purple cubes over their heads and the demons simply appearing at their side.

I actually liked that... But then again, i liked a Warhammer story about a planetary governor who had a tournament, and just before the winner was declaied a brass framed box appeared in the arena, with a Blood Thirster sitting on it, demanding the right to compete. When refused, he opened the box, and drowned the world in a tide of daemons. I like the mater-shaping, not nessessarily visual component to magic...

I do have the complaint about Golden, however, that being her inability to seperate the game from the world. Take the Shattering, when it took Cairn and his convoy a morning to walk from Orgrimmar to Mulgore. It took Thralls Orcs weeks to get from Northwatch (which was about where they landed, looking at the maps from WC3 and extrapolating based on Duskwallow) to the entrance to the Stonetallon mountains.
And yet, she isn't.

She isn't terrible. None of Blizzards authors are terrible. All of them are on par, though others have their own strengths.

I agree. Also, Theramore was a much larger city then what it was in game. The game world, as in all RPGs, only show you what is needed for the story, not the actual size. Theramore would probably be around the size of Stormwind's game depiction, and Stormwind, probably around the size of Vancouver BC.
I like how she connects the game world with the novel one. Granted, it's not the same, and things should be bigger, but there's always this disconnect between one version of a story with another. I respect her for at least trying to connect the dots or however I should phrase it
10/07/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Ferlion

Yes they do. The old Hunter pet class quests explained it, depending on which race you did them for.

Blood Elven Farstriders for example said they are now utilizing magic to tame beasts to keep up with the times, or something to that affect.

And think of this logically. The nature magic to befriend beasts has been there since vanilla WoW. In such a setting, why wouldn't the various societies utilize that in their military?

Yes they do. The old Hunter pet class quests explained it, depending on which race you did them for.

Blood Elven Farstriders for example said they are now utilizing magic to tame beasts to keep up with the times, or something to that affect.

And think of this logically. The nature magic to befriend beasts has been there since vanilla WoW. In such a setting, why wouldn't the various societies utilize that in their military?

Agreed. Night Elf Huntress' are another example of an expression of the 'Hunter' class, though they also ride their tigers. Warhounds and their trainers have been used in major warfare for thousands of years, why not use raptors, giant spiders, mutant-elemental-hounds etc.

Doesn't change the fact that her sense of geographic scale is absurd, though.

Yes, Farstriders.

Farstriders exist. Hunters as a concept exist, but not in the entire package.
Golden is okay.

You can only polish a turd so much, though.

(The turd being Jaina, btw)
She takes game scale and mechanics too literally, and she puts too much emotion into awkward places... like horses and dragons.

Yes, Farstriders.

Farstriders exist. Hunters as a concept exist, but not in the entire package.

In that regard i suppose i also have to agree with you... But i haven't read the specific passage about this greivance (at least not that i know of). I suppose i will worry more when Warriors are thunderclapping and leaping from tall buildings.