New Century Link Zyxel PK5001Z Modem Fix

Technical Support
For those who have Century Link and are using their New "Beta" Modem, the Zyxel PK5001Z and are having problems with your internet in general (mine affected WoW, Diablo III, Pandora, Netflix, etc.) then here is a way to fix it. Please note this has been referenced and modified from the one posted by Dbltap.

1.) Open your internet browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari).

2.) Type in your modem's IP Address (192.168.0.1) into the address bar.

3.) Hit ENTER on your keyboard.

4.) Wait for your modem's page to load.

5.) Type in your admin username and password located on the bottom of your modem
Username: admin / Password: _________.

6.) After you log in you will see an array of options. Choose "Advance Setup".

7.) Look on the left side of the screen under Security for "DMZ Hosting". It is the fourth one
down underneath "Port Forwarding". Click it.

8.) You should now see three options: 1. Set the DMZ State, 2. Select Device, or Manually
Enter an IP Address, and 3. Click "Apply" to save your changes.

9.) Under "Set DMZ State" if it is disabled, enable it.

10.) Under "Select Device, or Manually Enter an IP Address" choose and select your
computer's name (it will say something like Bob-PC or Joe-PC, Whatever you named
your computer when you first got it.)

11.) Click "Apply" to save your changes.

By doing these steps this will remove your PC from behind the modem firewall hence letting it receive the packages being sent. Hopefully in the future, Century Link will work the bugs out of their new modem and we can put ourselves back behind the firewall for added protection.

Enjoy.
I have a Westel Modem/Router combo from CenturyLink...How do I find the IP address for it? Or does this only work for the Modem you have?
This is for my Modem, Your modem GUI Address should be on the bottom of your Router, if not Call Century Link and ask them what it is. They will know. Sorry if this didn't help you sir.
Thanks for your information. I just wanted to add that this will only work for one pc to be able to play WoW. If you have a second WoW gamer on same modem you will have to bridge another router so both can play. The modem will only allow all ports to be opened for one computer. I personally spent 6 hours last night trying to get both my pcs in game and the tech finally had me bridge my personal router to their pk5001z modem. Hopefully they will figure this out, most of the techs have not even seen the new modem and the tech last night was watching a YouTube video to instruct me how to bridge my modem. I have no other internet available to me so I have to put up with CenturyLink techs learning from YouTube vids rather than company training. But hey, how you gonna learn the fights? YouTube!
For those who have Century Link and are using their New "Beta" Modem, the Zyxel PK5001Z and are having problems with your internet in general (mine affected WoW, Diablo III, Pandora, Netflix, etc.) then here is a way to fix it. Please note this has been referenced and modified from the one posted by Dbltap.

1.) Open your internet browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari).

2.) Type in your modem's IP Address (192.168.0.1) into the address bar.

3.) Hit ENTER on your keyboard.

4.) Wait for your modem's page to load.

5.) Type in your admin username and password located on the bottom of your modem
Username: admin / Password: _________.

6.) After you log in you will see an array of options. Choose "Advance Setup".

7.) Look on the left side of the screen under Security for "DMZ Hosting". It is the fourth one
down underneath "Port Forwarding". Click it.

8.) You should now see three options: 1. Set the DMZ State, 2. Select Device, or Manually
Enter an IP Address, and 3. Click "Apply" to save your changes.

9.) Under "Set DMZ State" if it is disabled, enable it.

10.) Under "Select Device, or Manually Enter an IP Address" choose and select your
computer's name (it will say something like Bob-PC or Joe-PC, Whatever you named
your computer when you first got it.)

11.) Click "Apply" to save your changes.

By doing these steps this will remove your PC from behind the modem firewall hence letting it receive the packages being sent. Hopefully in the future, Century Link will work the bugs out of their new modem and we can put ourselves back behind the firewall for added protection.

Enjoy.

This is not even a remotely good idea. On a scale of 1 - 10 1 being bad and 10 good its a negative 4 . Put the modem in bridge mode and get another router if you are having issues disabling the modems firewall is just a very bad idea all around.

here is the video on how to set it as a bridge.

http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/multimedia/multimedia_20120627_821515.shtml
I just got off the phone with CenturyLink and the tech told me they're hoping to get the firmware update released late this month.

The problem is the modem will pause for seconds at a time doing absolutely nothing.

I insisted upon a different model modem and they don't have any other models now, just this one.

So, let's hope that firmware update gets out soon so I can play again. The "Character Not Found" error and the "Transfer Aborted: instance not found" errors are getting really old.

Having to reset my modem before logging into the game (and after every disconnect) is ridiculous. Unable to raid or really enjoy the game the way I'd like.

But at least now I know it's not a Blizzard problem, it's a CenturyLink problem. (Actually a ZyXel PK5001z problem)
I have a Westel Modem/Router combo from CenturyLink...How do I find the IP address for it? Or does this only work for the Modem you have?

1. Open command prompt
2. Type: ipconfig /all

The default gateway IP address that is listed SHOULD be the IP address you want to type in to access your device.
Personally i did the DMZ hosting thing a while ago and im still have the issue. So hopefully CL comes out with its update and fixes this crap. I cant even run back after a whipe in either raid finder or in a real raid because it locks me out with "Trasnfer Aborted: Instance not found" So i have to reset my router and computer. And random dc's followed by character not found. Its rage worthy really. But if they fix this problem i think i can get over it..

11/13/2012 06:52 PMPosted by Bilithi
I just got off the phone with CenturyLink and the tech told me they're hoping to get the firmware update released late this month.

Do you know of a site that will post if the update in implemented or how they will inform us when it does go into effect?
here is the link tabs are on the left select download

http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-pk5001z-status-check-firmware-version.html

The only real fix for those is really getting a good router and setting the cheap piece of junk to bridge mode
11/20/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Lookamonk
Do you know of a site that will post if the update in implemented or how they will inform us when it does go into effect?

They didn't give a date, but if you log into the modem you'll see a tab for Utilities. On the Utilities tab on the left hand side you'll see a link for Upgrade Firmware.

It is set to automatically check to see if there is a firmware upgrade. I've just been checking that every day or so to see if it's been released.
Okay, just got off the phone with CenturyLink trying to get an update on the firmware release.

Well, they just changed their policy. It would seem the firmware update is nowhere on the horizon to fix this issue, so they have got Westell 7500 modems they're sending out to people who are complaining enough.

I've been on the phone with them nearly daily and every day I've been told they only have the PK5001z, but today the tech told me they just changed their policy and got these new modems in to resolve customer's problems.

So, if you're a CenturyLink customer and have the PK5001z modem and are tired of the Character Not Found errors, I suggest calling them up and getting them to send you the Westell 7500.
CL's response varies dramatically with the quality of training the tech you speak with has received. Some know about the problem, some don't, some will offer to send you a modem, some won't. Don't hesitate to call them back if you don't get the response you want. I was told yesterday that the firmware update is coming December 14th. I had them send the Westell out anyhow. Concur with others above recommending against DMZ, it doesn't help and it exposes your computer to greater risk.
This fix works fine for one computer, but my wife and I both play. You can't put more than one person into the DMZ. I have another router around here somewhere though...
I noticed the port forwarding for all computers on the new Zyxel in under IPv4 Firewall one below DMZ. You can create a new rule to open the ports you need to open...don't forget to check mark the boxes in the list after.
Hi,

I know this is a very old thread but the OP's suggestions did make WOW work for me. I just swapped to the aforementioned router (PK5001z) and that's when my problems began.

Let me describe my exact problem that other people are also having:

Every 15 minutes on the dot (I timed it 7 or 8 times) the "internet" light on my modem/router turns off and I lose connection from warcraft. This happens the same exact time over and over. When you're on the web you don't notice it because the disconnect is so brief, but it still occurs even when I'm not logged into any games.

After extensive google searching before I stumbled across this thread, I noticed that a LOT of people are still having the EXACT same issue that the OP refers to (including myself).

Since this thread is months old I was wondering if anyone had found updated/safer/less technical fixes for the issue? Like I mentioned, the OP's suggestion does seem to be working for me (I've been logged in for over an hour now with no DC's), but I'm worried about the long-term viability of this workaround.

I opted to respond here rather than make a new thread because I hoped maybe the OP's original suggestion may help anyone else who may be google/forum searching this issue.
Do you have the latest Century link firmware?

Latest Firmware Version: CZP002-4.3.009.16

http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-pk5001z.html
I'm not sure if I'm having the same issue, but it is with PK5001Z, has the latest firmware, tried DMZ hosting without success.
When the problem starts if I am already in the game, I get indefinite lag but can logout of the character. When I try again, it says character not found.
When I am out of the game entirely, I get Error #2 trying to login.
These happen at the exact same time that I jump online, check youtube, yahoo, facebook just to see if internent is working. It is.
I am using wireless.
I have talked extensively with Blizzard, and they don't feel its a problem with them. Sometimes the wireless works for a few minutes. When I connect via ethernet: no problems.

Anyone have any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated?
just switched to this router after years of using the regular modem. no problems ever of course. with this one the router resets once a minute if im on skype or using the internet at all. the wireless sucks so bad. oh yeah and i cant play wow anymore of course. i can get in game for 3 minutes max usually about 30 seconds. i have no idea how to fix this. the ISP rep advised me to switch the wifi channel (again) which did not work but she got off the phone before i could see that it did not work. yeah only took me 5 minutes to know. anyway im pissed lol. im updated to the latest firmware also.
I have the Pk5001z router and i'm having the smae issue, i was logged in and played for a few days after patch 5.4 came into effect but after the servers did the regular shut down i ahven't been able to log in at all, not even for a minutes, it's been days now without any playing time in and with major headaches and frustration, i jsut figured out taht it's the router, even after talking with blizard for the past few days they never told me it was my actual router model taht was the issue, this sucks is there any way to get around this?
I'm having this bloody problem I wanted to get back into wow I have that very modem and I can't even login