Teach me how to priest...

Priest
Because apparently I am failing in terribad ways.

I quit for Cata, and came back.

I went disc. I do okay, for the most part. Mana seems to go pretty fast on certain trash pulls, bosses.

I wiped today in a guild group. Unforgivable, in my world. We were in Shadow Pan Monastery and wiped on the Sha, I literally was just trying to keep the tank alive. Even taking a second to cleanse was a bad idea.

And we nearly wiped on the last guy, what, with his swirling vortex and yanking me around and having to sit and clear that hatred.

I don't know what else to do. Once I use the oh!@#$ buttons, I'm sitting on my thumbs, HOPING to keep people alive with cascade/prayer of healing/pom.

I'm going to try holy, I've heard it's a bit better.

But anyway, help me oh priest forum, teach me how to disc and/or holy
I went over that, multiple times.

I just... I don't know. I feel SO clunky. I feel like disc would be AMAZING in a 25 man, but is rough without other healers.

Disc is SO powerful and so underpowered at the same time (in my opinion). No one else can do amazing things that disc can do, but once those things are done, the actual healing is rough and very mana intensive.

I know it's still early in the expac, but I've never felt so... complicated and missing pieces at the same time.

I have to watch for holy fire, archangel, spirit shell, pw:s, pom and time my stuff right while mana gets eaten alive.
SPM is a nightmare for healers. Some of the trash explodes, the Sha boss puts a debuff on the tank which needs to be dispelled so the DPS don't get beat on, the trash after that starts yanking you mid-cast and does an AoE that really hurts anyone in melee, the last boss can get rough too... either heal dying people or hitting your button so you don't get to 100%.

Don't feel bad, I went out of my way to get epics. I've tried running it in a guild run and still wiped many times. Disc is personally my favorite spec for 5 mans in current content, might seem a little weak at the moment, but as new gear comes out rapture will be just too good.
I'm not good enough myself to give any useful advice, but I have to congratulate you over the fact that, like me, you use "priest" as a verb.
honestly i'm pretty sure holy is in a better place then disc atm did spm and didnt have too many issues healing. 3 min cd on DH is very nice also better oh !@#$ button then barrier imo.
Priests work completely different now since our class have been gutted in pve and pvp. Just gotta learn how to play the worst healing class in the game right now.
10/04/2012 02:49 AMPosted by Lathrias
honestly i'm pretty sure holy is in a better place then disc atm did spm and didnt have too many issues healing. 3 min cd on DH is very nice also better oh !@#$ button then barrier imo.

I think I'm going to try holy, run a few normals to get my keybinds rememberized and see what happens.

Or maybe just level my druid or shammy. druid is 85, shammy near 70. Sigh, I know it's the first week, but when you look at the leaderboard for heals on 10 man (which is what my guild does) and it's shammy/druid/pally up and down with zero priests...

Well, it's discouraging to say the least.
10/04/2012 01:33 PMPosted by Mendii
I think I'm going to try holy, run a few normals to get my keybinds rememberized and see what happens.

The more I read, the more I'm thinking of doing this too, and just using my disc spec for quests until it gets tweaked. I love disc, but with so many priests talking about how bad it is in a raid setting, I may be going Holy for a while :(

e: I am going to give disc a shot or two before I make my decision though!
10/04/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Anklemelter

The more I read, the more I'm thinking of doing this too, and just using my disc spec for quests until it gets tweaked. I love disc, but with so many priests talking about how bad it is in a raid setting, I may be going Holy for a while :(

e: I am going to give disc a shot or two before I make my decision though!

Check out world of logs, it's depressing. there are 5 priests out of 240 spots. they're all only, and i think most are near the bottom of top 40 per fight. I know it's early, but if the top healers are that low, what does that say for the rest of us?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Mogu%27shan_Vaults/hps/
Fortunately my raid spot is fairly secure, but you'd better believe that if I feel like I can't help progression I'll bow out until things get better. I spent the latter half of Cata earning my spot too. >.<
Check this post, got a great read through of the progression from start to raid ready and how my spells morplhed to how its looking in raids.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794639817

Enjoy!!