Ret Isn't Weak - PvP

Paladin
Ret is far from weak in PvP

If you actually took the time to get decent gear, you would notice an insane increase in damage. People complain about ret's being weak, but that's only because I think people don't know how to micromanage between heals and keeping inq up while sustaining damage.

Ret's a really fun class to play. You can run around off healing wounded friendlys for 50k-100k+, kite just about any class in the game, unmatched burst(Besides broken classes), survive a pretty long time if you pop your cool downs in the right situations, very supportive and offensive play style, etc.

I average around 8k+ DPS if I'm focusing correctly without my wings and can reach anywhere from 15-20k+ DPS easily with wings popped. The only complaint I have as ret, is that we dont have any real CC. The only CC we have is on a 30 second CD (if spec'd) or cast repent, which isn't that useful for rets in most cases when we need CC fast. We also have an AoE fear that breaks upon damage, which I only really use for interrupts. >.>

There are a few factors that come to mind that would make one think ret is weak. What I mean by that is, some classes seem broken at the moment and need to be fixed before people understand ret's true power in PvP. While rets lack CC, we are given very good survivability tools and an insane healing advantage, if used correctly. As soon as wings are up you'll be seeing back to back 60k-80k crits(if you manage to remember to keep inq up).

Classes that make ret feel weak:

Warlock - Get ready to be stuck in endless stuns/fears while getting bursted down. Their absorb shield and non channel heal now makes them bulky and scary.

Warriors - Way too many stuns and more sustained damage. Insane amount of CC. 2nd wind is hard to break through without inq up! Remember to HoR them and TV Glyph for a combined 20% reduced damage!

Mages - lol, don't be afraid of them. Just remember to keep Divine Protection up, Hand Of Freedom, interrupt their frost bomb, trinket their deep freeze and they will be dead within seconds. Should have no problem after the spell steal nerf.

Druids - Almost like fighting another ret pally, they are very similar and fun to fight. If you out gear them, they should be no problem to take down.

Spriest - They're rotation is very simple and they're extremely easy to predict. Interrupt as much as you can and CC them when low and burs them down.

BM Hunters - Very frustrating class to go against and very broken, since you can't really interrupt their burst and they will usually silence you at first, then put you in a fear, that forces you into an ice trap, all while bursting you down with their lynx rush and other CD's. The only real way to beat a hunter is to stun their PET and heal when you see them casting shots. Remember to keep inq up and kite their pet and burst the hunter down with wings.

Monks - If you're scared of a panda, then just roll another class.

Rogues - You better watch out, you better not cry, you better trinket that or you will die, cuz rogue class will stun-lock your !@#!

DK's - Extremely broken class! - They hit like a truck and spam endless diseases on you. Their "green bubble thingy" makes them immune to our CC so you're better off kiting them and healing, till it goes away, putting HoF on so their blue thingy doesn't slow you and burst/cc them when they aren't expecting it.

If I missed a class/spec I'm sorry, but you have to WANT to play your class to enjoy it. Simply wanting to be #1 FotM class won't get you anywhere in the long run. If you're like me and can't roll a caster class and you want in your face CC + damage, then I suggest rolling a warrior. If you like the melee/dot play style, roll a DK. If you're tired of getting hit all the time and love kiting, roll a hunter.

That just about sums it all up. If you wanna enjoy PvP as a ret, the only tip I can give you is to learn how to micromanage your healing, damage, and inq.

Another tip: Watching other ret pally's stream such as Vanguards can actually help you understand how pally's should be played and good ways to counter certain classes. I know it sounds dumb, but watching someone else play or even recording yourself can make you a better PvPer.

Hope you enjoyed my read. - Purple
Yeah, I don't get why everyone is crying about ret not being that good.
I go through everything I've seen this season like a hot knife through butter. I may not be 90, true, but the same mechanics apply.

10/07/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Beautifly
BM Hunters - Very frustrating class to go against and very broken, since you can't really interrupt their burst and they will usually silence you at first, then put you in a fear, that forces you into an ice trap, all while bursting you down with their lynx rush and other CD's.

Just a quick note here, if you're quick on your feet, you can avoid the ice trap, and once you've closed in an applied Seal of Justice, its pretty easy. If you dont feel you can burst them fast enough, FoJ them and burst out their pet.

DK's - Extremely broken class!

Blood may do really good DPS in this patch, but at least they can die, unlike in cata.
10/07/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Baustert
Blood may do really good DPS in this patch, but at least they can die, unlike in cata.

Very true blood DK's aren't that bad anymore xD

Frost DK's are a different story however >.>

With their RNG Procs I get smacked around for constant 50k obliterates in 54% resil gear and most of them pop their bubble around 50 health and spam their defensive CDs so you spend a lot of time kiting DK's until you can turn the favor and burst them down.
First you tell us how Ret is a great class, then you tell us how everyone else is broken and can destroy us. You claim we can kite all classes which isnt true. You claim we have great dmaage yet have the worst damage in the game outside of cooldowns
If you actually took the time to get decent gear, you would notice an insane increase in damage.

The only increase in damage I got is against undergeared people, I still do little damage to geared players, but can smash undergeared players in a few hits.
10/07/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Agincourt
First you tell us how Ret is a great class, then you tell us how everyone else is broken and can destroy us. You claim we can kite all classes which isnt true. You claim we have great dmaage yet have the worst damage in the game outside of cooldowns

Do you log onto your Paladin and just scream at your monitor because it "sucks" so much?
10/07/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Agincourt

You're playing the class wrong then.

Kiting: I suggest re reading everything I wrote. We cankite any class in a 1v1 situation. 2 Freedoms + slows + cc + healing, etc. If you can't kite any class then you just suck imo.

Damage: You're most likely forgetting to keep inq up. My damage is fine and most other classes don't have to worry about keeping a buff up every 30 seconds except monks. Most classes just count down not up.

In PvE situations I can easily hold 45k DPS single roations in PvP gear and get 80kish AoE DPS.

If you say ret's weak, then you're obviously playing the class wrong.
Who's saying Ret is weak? I crush people in PvP and I'm always top damage in heroics by almost 10-20k DPS
Who's saying Ret is weak? I crush people in PvP and I'm always top damage in heroics by almost 10-20k DPS

Ever spend time looking through paladin forums lol

80% threads cry about how ret is weak when all they do is just try and walk up to enemies and attack w/o having inq up or healing properly. PvE is very fun as ret. Nothing's better then AoE'n down those heroic mobs with divine storm for 200k+
10/07/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Faeria
If you actually took the time to get decent gear, you would notice an insane increase in damage.

The only increase in damage I got is against undergeared people, I still do little damage to geared players, but can smash undergeared players in a few hits.

this is the problem I had experienced in beta at level 90.

Ret needs some added pvp damage..When TV hits geared players for 20k its kinda depressing.
Ret is far from weak in PvP

Lol ret.
this is the problem I had experienced in beta at level 90.

Ret needs some added pvp damage..When TV hits geared players for 20k its kinda depressing.

that's not our only DPS ability, but our roation is based around it. Try stacking up to 5 hpower and then combining your TVs with exo procs while having inq up then a cc and burst with wings
So we're not weak in pvp but you left out 1 class from the "makes us feel weak" area...so basically we're good against shamans?
10/07/2012 10:28 AMPosted by Phoenix
So we're not weak in pvp but you left out 1 class from the "makes us feel weak" area...so basically we're good against shamans?

Yeah I didn't wanna edit my post, but shammys aren't bad at all.

Enhancement Shammys - The wizard ret class. Not much to say here, but they pretty much are at the same level as ret, but with more CC/Utility.

Note: If you hate ret and think it's weak and keep dieing to spriest/mages then roll this class. You can purge the hell out of their shields and kill them easily.

Elemental Shammys are pretty easy if you prevent them from casting. It's like a weaker version of mage, but with heals.
good work man. honestly if u have a the experience u should be able to beat anything. im having a bit of an issue with healers and shadow priests/locks. i might spec in hand of purity to reduce damage over time effects.
From what Ive seen so far yes,Ret is weak defensively and doesnt really have enough damage to worry healers.

Im not the best geared around as of now but hey guess what,everyone else isnt eithe.its not fun getting feared by a lock/spriest or cc'ed by a mage/hunter and getting killed in less than 5 secs.

i suppose ill go for the 4 piece bonus and still give ret a try for a while longer,but seems this is just like TBC and we'll have to go holy to have any decent chance of winning.
10/07/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Flemz
im having a bit of an issue with healers

Ret's aren't meant to kill healers ):

We can only pressure them.
With the setup that takes a lock to do, you can do just as much if you're playing right.
10/07/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Galadran
Im not the best geared around as of now but hey guess what,everyone else isnt eithe.its not fun getting feared by a lock/spriest or cc'ed by a mage/hunter and getting killed in less than 5 secs.

I used to have problems with locks til I got most of my gear. I suggest spec'n into HoJ on 30 second cooldown. I used to use BoG, but in most situations HoJ(30 second) will increase you're survival and pressure.

Locks are difficult with their tanky cool downs. it's kind of easy for me since I'm a Belf, so I get the extra interrupt passively. - 4 piece makes locks easier because every 8 seconds you generate 1 holy power when attacked. Helps keep inq up and increase your TVs

Warlocks: HoJ then get some holy power, pop inq, turn evil their pet right before HoJ ends, pressure them till they pop their defensive cool downs, heal up while they pop their CDs, turn evil their pet again while they are trying to run away to kite you, HoJ them again pop your wings, when they fear you, trinket the fear and finish them off. - That's how I usually kill locks most of the time in 1v1 situation.

Spriest - Try your best to get through their shield and interrupt their casts with HoJ/Blinding Light. Remember to HoF so you can get to them without being slowed. Spriest are annoying because you will have to eat their fears, but remember to heal when you can hopefully. Usually they will either fear you right away or when they are getting hit when their shield is down. If your DR is like 3 second fear, pop wings and faceroll because the priest won't be able to fear you til your DR resets.

I'm not the best ret, but gear does help and consider spec'n into HoJ you won't regret it!
Otherwise you will get wrecked by those classes because you don't have enough CC.