Another DPS Inquiry

Warlock
I've been Affliction for most of MoP and I'm now averaging around 40-50k on most bosses in heroics. On dps friendly fights, such as Raigonn, I've done 135k. I was wondering if these are desirable numbers or if there is anything I can improve upon. The reason I ask this is because I tried out Mogu'shan Vaults the other day and was only pulling around 35-40k on Stone Guard.

I'm relatively new to Warlocks as this is my Scroll of Resurrection character, that I started near the very end of Cataclysm.

My guild mate was telling me that I should try out Demonology, but I've heard mixed views on which is the better raiding specialization.

My rotation goes: CoE-Haunt-Soulburn/Soulswap for single target DPS, re-applying DoTs as need be (I'd say my upkeep is around 95% right now, so not quite 100% yet, still working on getting it down).

Any help/feedback is much appreciated. Thanks :)
You're doing fine :) I'm about the same in Heroics and last night on the Stone Guard I did 46k.

I tried Demonology and just can't get into it. I also tried out destro and have been running heroics as destro, but still affliction is my favorite spec.

But your rotation is spot on. Just make sure you re-apply DoTs when you get procs and use Dark Soul on Cooldown (and re-apply your DoTs when you do for the full haste benefit).
is there a major difference with he DPS trees? I currently have a Demo and afflic tree. Does Destro work well in dungeons? does it really matter?
Alright, yeah I figured I was doing alright just wanted other people's input. I'd say I need to do a better job reapplying the DoTs when I get procs like Windsong, but other than that I can't seem to figure out what's holding me back (if anything at all).

I was just practicing on the raid dummy and it came out about the same, 35k-40k. Stone Guard, according to my guild mate, requires the dps pulling at least 50k. I didn't have flasks or potions, so this may attribute to some of the lack too.

Like I said before, any and all feedback is highly appreciated. How is everyone else's numbers looking?
That's not true at all about the Stone Guard requiring 50k DPS. I was second in my guild at 46k and we downed it on our 3rd try. That fight is all about raid awareness and tanks swapping correctly.. there's no enrage timer that I know of. Heck one of the DPS was a mage that just dinged 90 2 days ago pulling 28k and we did just fine. Now, Feng was a little harder, but we only had about an hour to play around with it.

Also, Windsong seems bugged right now.. I'd switch back to Power Torrent until they fix it for DoT classes. It's only proccing off of direct damage abilities :(
My rotation goes: CoE-Haunt-Soulburn/Soulswap for single target DPS, re-applying DoTs as need be (I'd say my upkeep is around 95% right now, so not quite 100% yet, still working on getting it down).

Swap your rotation just slightly. You got it pretty spot on, though.

CoE -> SB:SS -> Haunt -> MG -> Refresh DoTs

You want as much bang for your buck with Haunt, hence why you should always apply your DoTs first before using Haunt. Otherwise, looks like you're doing it right.
seriously?? I just bought windsong enchant for my new staff... ugh.
10/08/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Demognome
You want as much bang for your buck with Haunt, hence why you should always apply your DoTs first before using Haunt. Otherwise, looks like you're doing it right.

Haunt is going to land after your dots are applied, no matter what order you cast them in. Casting Haunt first actually gives you more MG time, casting dots first gives you an extra partial tick.
Forgot to put MG in my Rotation list, but obviously that comes after CoE, Haunt, and SB:SS. Not quite sure which to do first out of Haunt and SB:SS, as I've heard arguments for both. I, personally, have found a little bit higher DPS with casting Haunt first.
That's not true at all about the Stone Guard requiring 50k DPS. I was second in my guild at 46k and we downed it on our 3rd try. That fight is all about raid awareness and tanks swapping correctly.. there's no enrage timer that I know of. Heck one of the DPS was a mage that just dinged 90 2 days ago pulling 28k and we did just fine. Now, Feng was a little harder, but we only had about an hour to play around with it.

Also, Windsong seems bugged right now.. I'd switch back to Power Torrent until they fix it for DoT classes. It's only proccing off of direct damage abilities :(

There is an 8 minute and 30ish second enrage timer. My guild hit it twice when we had DPS die super early.

Edit: Also yes, unfortunately Windsong does not proc of DoTs which seems intentional at this point, although I hope they change it:

Windsong: 1PPM on melee damage, or non-periodic spell damage/healing, with a 1-second cooldown.

From - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6397900436?page=8#154 which means blues know about it.
It might be my gear but I am not geting how people are pulling so much dps.

I have been running heroics all day to day and I am only doing 23-24K dps...

I bet I need to crack down on my rotation.

SO a proper roation would be

CoE>SS:SW> HAUNT>MG>REfreah?

When do I refresh Haunt? when the shadow trance procs?
@ Spelldemon: It depends on your specialization. For affliction, my spec, haste is better than Mastery. The disparity is bad though either way because of diminishing returns, as with any spec they are about equal.

@ Mourgrim: You'll pull a lot more once you get better gear. Warlocks are a class that have rather static dps in the beginning gear but accelerate well with gear, at least from what I've experienced. I personally use Haunt before SB:SS. You should refresh Haunt whenever the debuff falls off, and you should never waste a Shadow Trance proc. Always cast it when you get one. During the execute phase, use DS to build some Soul Shards and blast the boss with a few Haunt's before returning to the regular refresh/DS.

My advice may not be the best, as I'm still relatively new to the Warlock class, but I think it's pretty spot on.
I've been Affliction for most of MoP and I'm now averaging around 40-50k on most bosses in heroics. On dps friendly fights, such as Raigonn, I've done 135k. I was wondering if these are desirable numbers or if there is anything I can improve upon. The reason I ask this is because I tried out Mogu'shan Vaults the other day and was only pulling around 35-40k on Stone Guard.

I'm relatively new to Warlocks as this is my Scroll of Resurrection character, that I started near the very end of Cataclysm.

Any help/feedback is much appreciated. Thanks :)

My friend I am in the same boat as you on the first day. I was running affliction (I am a new lock too this xpak) and dps was between 38-45 K just because lot of sh!t was going on. I was feeling bad about my dps too (in my guild mage and dk do 70k). I switched to demo and I almost doubled my dps. On average I am doing around 60K dps on first boss with 65k being my personal best. The reason is that demo has a lot of aoe spells in the default rotation thus increases ur dps.

Unless you are really a great lock (which I am not being new and getting used to) it is hard to keep track of dots on multiple adds specially when lots of sh!t is going on. But thats just me.

I will advice you to try demo and see how you are doing.
@ Spelldemon: It depends on your specialization. For affliction, my spec, haste is better than Mastery. The disparity is bad though either way because of diminishing returns, as with any spec they are about equal.

@ Mourgrim: You'll pull a lot more once you get better gear. Warlocks are a class that have rather static dps in the beginning gear but accelerate well with gear, at least from what I've experienced. I personally use Haunt before SB:SS. You should refresh Haunt whenever the debuff falls off, and you should never waste a Shadow Trance proc. Always cast it when you get one. During the execute phase, use DS to build some Soul Shards and blast the boss with a few Haunt's before returning to the regular refresh/DS.

My advice may not be the best, as I'm still relatively new to the Warlock class, but I think it's pretty spot on.

So then would you refresh your dots indiviudaly or with SB:SW?

also what do you mean with shadow trance... Isnt it just a beauty proc that tells us we got our free shard? it is not like it was in cata where it gave you an instant free shadow bolt.