Sick of "comedians" like Colbert mocking WoW

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 25 Next
He's long shown pride in, and yet ridiculed himself for, his long nights playing D&D back in the day. Colbert is a true geek. If he's making fun of geeky things, you can probably bet he's stirring a much larger criticism through irony and satire.

He's an extreme Lord of the Rings fan. He owns the sword Narsil, given to him by Viggo Mortensen. I agree, he's not mocking WoW, he's mocking the people using it as a political attack.

Because I can tell you my fingers move a lot faster and a lot more accurately when playing WoW than someone playing a violin. A violinist has to concentrate on pretty much 1 thing, moving the stick back and forth over the strings in the right way-- something that just comes from repeating the same action over and over. With WoW, you have to perform actions with your hands just as fast, but you have to react to many things at once and deal with new situations every day.

......and realize that the level of skill and dexterity it takes to play at the highest level is just as respectful as something like playing an instrument or being an athlete.

lmao
10/09/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Kurnea
The Daily Show and The Colbert Show aren't 100% scripted.

Not 100%, but they do get a lot of their material from their writers, and you could tell from the writer's strike that those writers where sorely missed.

Who's number two on this Series Writing Credits? Oh right, Jon Stewart

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115147/fullcredits

He doesn't just read the scripts, he helps write them. He's a funny comedian and he knows his politics.

Same thing with Colbert

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458254/fullcredits#cast

You can watch the segment in which WoW is referenced on [url="http://bit.ly/QRcWo4"]ColbertNation.com[/url].

I don't see how that could be offensive, that was hilarious.
ROFL omg...ROFL
I decided to go and watch the segment after seeing Zarhym's comment above on MMOC Blue Tracker. I was having a hard time not laughing ... when he got to the "invasion of North Africa from Brazil" and "ruthless hotel tycoon with no respect for anti-trust laws." That was the best three minutes of my day so far.

Yea, the Risk and Monopoly comparisons killed me too. And that's the part that really puts all of his WoW comments in proper context. ;)
10/08/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Bedstain
Many of you probably saw Steven Colbert from the Colbert Report on Comedy Central last night talking about World of Warcraft. Well I just want to say I'm sick of this attitude these "comedians" have about WoW and online games in general, like it's some nerdy thing that shouldn't be taken seriously.

Apparently his routine went over your head. He was mocking the Republican party's assertion that a candidate's fondness for a game would have a negative impact on the performance of her day-to-day activities. His references to D&D were genuine (I personally owned a copy of the Expedition to Barrier Peaks) and plausible. His statement that his Chaotic Neutral actions clearly rendered him unfit for office was sarcastic and every bit as ridiculous as the claim that someone who enjoyed backstabbing mobs in WoW would behave similarly in office.

If they knew the level that I, and many of the top level players around the world, perform at on this game, they would have a little more respect for it.

No they wouldn't.

Becoming a master at WoW requires the same dexterity and skill as something like being a virtuoso violinist-- which Colbert had on his show weeks earlier and was giving him some actual respect.

No it doesn't. Also, people nationwide fill concert halls and sit for hours at a time to watch virtuoso violinists play on a weekly basis. Do you even know the #1 guild in WoW, let alone its members? Know why that is? It's because no one cares. I hate to break it to you, but while The Last Starfighter made for a fun movie premise, it has no basis whatsoever in reality.

Not 100%, but they do get a lot of their material from their writers, and you could tell from the writer's strike that those writers where sorely missed.

Who's number two on this Series Writing Credits? Oh right, Jon Stewart

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115147/fullcredits

He doesn't just read the scripts, he helps write them. He's a funny comedian and he knows his politics.

Same thing with Colbert

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458254/fullcredits#cast

I'm not trying to imply that they're simply reading what their writers told them to say, I'm just emphasizing that the other writers on the team are a significant contribution to the quality of both shows. Part of what makes either DS or CR good is that both shows are a team effort.
I forgot about Lawful Good. Ah, I miss those days.
Who cares? Colbert is a super nerd who's like... in love with LotR, so he obviously doesn't really think fantasy worlds are lame or anything like that.
All I have to say is that I am glad you feel comfortable addressing this subject Z. You did so in such a remarkably neutral tone, too!
I dunno man.. her gear isn't all that great and neither are her achievements. Its fine enough for the rest of the user-base, but when you're running for public office you have to be current on expansions and have some pretty BA raid achievements to get my vote.
Your a dork get over it. If you dont want to be mocked then dont do dorky things. If you do dorky things expect to be mocked. I have played this game since vanilla and would have probably laughed at his comments and most likely enjoyed it. If you get that upset about something like this then maybe you should step away from the game and find something else. If not, learn to take it...

This game is a cesspool for gamers. Dont get me wrong, many good people play this game. But the worst gamers also play this game. It is not cool to make a career out of this game like many do. This game doesnt pay the bills. There are quite a bit of people who play this game and do not hold a job in real life. I am not talking about the stay-at-home parents, I am talking about the people who just dont work so they can have more WoW time. It is pathetic. Of course this game will be mocked considering what it does to people. This game is more of an addiction, and yes I even suffer from the addiction. The difference? I hold down a great full time job and raise my kids and can pay to do all of that and even have a little left over to play this game.

This game will always be ridiculed as will the people who play it. If you are so shallow that you cant handle getting a little crap for playing it then maybe you shouldnt be playing it in the first place. Maybe your time would be better spent talking to a counselor about your problems and about how you cant handle a comedian who makes mocking comments about a video game.
If they knew the level that I, and many of the top level players around the world, perform at on this game, they would have a little more respect for it. Becoming a master at WoW requires the same dexterity and skill as something like being a virtuoso violinist-- which Colbert had on his show weeks earlier and was giving him some actual respect. Because I can tell you my fingers move a lot faster and a lot more accurately when playing WoW than someone playing a violin. A violinist has to concentrate on pretty much 1 thing, moving the stick back and forth over the strings in the right way-- something that just comes from repeating the same action over and over. With WoW, you have to perform actions with your hands just as fast, but you have to react to many things at once and deal with new situations every day.

lol

Not sure if trolling, but I'll bite. Having played the violin for many years, I can say it takes far more skill and practice than wow. Perhaps you just don't understand the complexity of the instrument, there's a little more to it than "moving the stick back and forth."

WoW, on the other hand, is just common sense. Don't stand in the icky bad stuff! Press the shiny buttons to hurt things! You want to be good at pve? Well, look up your class on Elitest Jerks and you'll be a pro! You want to be good at pvp? Well, just roll the latest OP class for easy kills!

Yeah, lots of talent required there.
I loved the segment last night. I knew at the time, too, that some players might take offense to his words or the tone in which they were used. But to take offense is, I believe, to miss the point.

First and foremost, Colbert is a satirist, so there's virtually always a contradictory message in what he's saying. In the context of last night's segment, he was making light of games to point at a seemingly trivial political attack on a candidate running for state senate, whereby her character is called into question because of her World of Warcraft persona. Yes, Colbert used some random Warcraft lingo in a silly fashion for a laugh, but the real joke wasn't that the terms he used were from some geeky game -- he was pointing out the absurdity in the argument that this candidate should be feared for her potential inability to distinguish a game from reality. Notice that, after he drops Warcraft terms, he also draws ridiculous comparisons to people in the past losing touch with reality after playing too many board games.

I argue he wasn't mocking the WoW community, even while he was poking some fun at it. But remember, it's just a game. It's a game where people are collecting epic amulets and flying around on dragons. It's crazy and it's awesome, and Colbert wasn't attacking that. He's long shown pride in, and yet ridiculed himself for, his long nights playing D&D back in the day. Colbert is a true geek. If he's making fun of geeky things, you can probably bet he's stirring a much larger criticism through irony and satire.

Those are my thoughts on the matter since I first watched it last night. I was all smiles by the commercial break. ;)

You can watch the segment in which WoW is referenced on [url="http://bit.ly/QRcWo4"]ColbertNation.com[/url].

Why can't we upvote blue posts?

Zarhym, you have inspired me: http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh607/cerylidae/WoWScrnShot_100912_151426.jpg
I found the whole skit very amusing, "invaded North Africa from Brazil!" almost died laughing.

My advice to the OP-

"Lighten up Francis".......
What I'm sick of is people getting offended over things comedians say as a joke. :)

One other thing to note in addition to Zarhym's comments. Whenever Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart of The Daily Show make any kind of mention of World of Warcraft, the audience cheers wildly. This leads me to believe that most of the audience, being primarily young adults, either plays WoW, has played WoW, or otherwise has a positive view of WoW. And the hosts know it.
Becoming a master at WoW requires the same dexterity and skill as something like being a virtuoso violinist
Omg I think I just died of laughter.. This point in the post on down is a good read if you're looking for some major giggles! :>