Hunter Pet Aggro

General Discussion
So. Are hunter pets working properly concerning agro tables? I ask because I’ve tanked instances with at least 8 hunters, and every single time (Level 85 to 89 so far) the hunter pets pull agro off of me, especially in single target situations. (In multi-target situations it doesn’t bother me as much, because I understand everyone isn’t smart enough to attack my target, so I discount that) but on boss fight, after boss fight I lose agro to hunter pets.

Not I can only see 3 things going on here, please feel free to add others if I’m wrong.

1)I suck at tanking. Now I’ve been tanking (off tanking at first) since vanilla. So I think I know my stuff. Would I call myself the best? Heck no, there can only be one best, and we’ll never know who that is, however I think I’m well above average. When I max level, my gear is gemmed/enchanted/reforged properly, generally with math I helped do myself, since I understand every character is different based on their drops. I’m not saying this to brag, I’m saying this to point out the fact that I really doubt this is the issue. I mean even the fact that no character manages to pull agro off me single target lends credit to this theory being false, unless pets are generating more agro than players now.

2)The hunters have growl on. Now I’ve asked 5 of those 8 hunters if they had growl on, and said it in chat every time. So far 2 hunters have answered me and swore growl wasn’t on. I have no way of knowing if they’re telling the truth (the combat log doesn’t show the actions of others now for some reason?!!?!). Now maybe the other 6 had growl on and just didn’t care, I told them it’s their loss because when they pet dies it’s their DPS that suffers.

3)Somehow, pet agro is borked. Now I’m not sure how true this could be, as I haven’t heard any other complaints about it. However I also haven’t chatted much with many tanks recently, and maybe it fixes itself at lvl 90, who knows. I just know it irritates the heck out of me. I mean I’ve seen bugs many times that no one managed to report, so maybe this is one of those cases. Maybe it just doesn’t bother anyone else since it really doesn’t affect anyone besides the hunter. Maybe it’s really not a bug and it’s reason #2 and I’ve just been plagued with idiotic hunters. Who knows. However I decided to make this thread in the hopes that someone else has experienced this issue.

Anyway, let me know if anyone else has had this problem.
Aside from growl, they could also be in defensive spec (pets have three specs now, Offensive, defensive, and balanced. I wont go in to actual names, yadda yadda.)

I've often forgotten to change my defensive spec because I use it A LOT for questing. Also, Growl is a true taunt now instead of a gradual aggro builder. From what I hear, Druids are kind of having a rough time with tanking. (Its just what i've hard, I paladin tank myself, so i don't know 100%)

Either way, if the hunter pets are causing problems, just let the pets tank and die and then move along. The hunters will get uppity, tell them to keep their pets in check, and then move on. Honestly, I had a hard time remembering Growl and the spec sometimes until my pet got mauled. *facepalm* Woopsy :((

But don't give up. I'm sure it'll get better if you keep at it.
Leveling up through instances I noticed that even when I turned off my Wrathguard's Threatening Presence he would still manage to pull mobs off the tank. Not all the time, but often enough that every now and then I'd get a "turn your pet's taunt off, lock."

I'd have to tell them that it wasn't on and then watch as he pulled threat yet again and I started to think maybe these guys are just bad at building aggro, or maybe there's something else going on here, like a pet aggro bug or something.

I've started sacrificing some of my dps by keeping my pet on passive and waiting about 5 seconds before sending him in when doing LFG. I'm not sure what's going on with some of these tanks and their threat capabilities, but I have noticed what you're describing.
Have not had a problem with my pet taking agro at all unless I forget to turn growl off but even then the tank just taunts back with no trouble.
Growl may be off but I've noticed on my hunter when I use my new ability 'Stampede' the clones spam Growl at random targets. Much like the DK Army of The Dead. I'm not sure if that is intended when I have it turned off but your guess is as good as mine.
I switch between my butterfly and scorpion when questing or dungeons.
But Growl may be the cause of aggro loss.
The only way a hunter pet is going to consistently take aggro off you is through Growl, unless you flat out suck at tanking (but if that's the case you'll be losing aggro to more than merely pets).

You can tell if a hunter is fibbing about it being on or not, because Growl is now a taunt proper. You can see the debuff on the mob in question.

Warlocks have a similar issue, except their Wrathguards have a bug with Threatening Presence. They actually have turned it off, but their pet still has it enabled. I don't play Demonology so I don't have the pet, so I can't say how one goes about fixing that.

edit - hunter pets summoned through Stampede also seem to spam Growl on things. I don't know if that can be disabled at all since my hunter's not got acess to it yet.
I've ran into this issue as well. I'm reforged for control and threat and hunter pets keep pulling aggro off me too. I've asked them to turn off growl and they've indicated it's not on. I think it's an issue with pets in general.
@ Kay, snap there's a defensive stance that generates extra aggro now? When did they add that? (I have a lvl 85 hunter now I'm interested). But yea, I generally do what you say, I'm a fan of letting them die. Most healers get in line. But nothing is irritating as a healer who heals the pet and someone important dies because of it. Some healers just see bars not who those bars are sadly. And yea I know growl is a true growl now, because I watch the boss go from me to the pet with 0 warning. Nothing about you are losing aggro or anything. It's crazy.

@ Mal, I've never had a problem with Lock pets. That's why I figured it was a hunter only problem. I've seen maybe 5-7 locks and never had an issue. It also rarely happens right when I start. Generally I've got aggro for 5 seconds, then BAM, he's looking at that damn wolf. STOP LOOKING AT THE WOLF, LOOK AT ME!

/rant over
10/09/2012 05:40 AMPosted by Kamerik
I've ran into this issue as well. I'm reforged for control and threat and hunter pets keep pulling aggro off me too. I've asked them to turn off growl and they've indicated it's not on. I think it's an issue with pets in general.

This is what happens to me in dungeons. The only pets in my stable that has growl turned on is my tenacity pets, which I use for soloing and questing. All of my ferocity pets have its growl turned OFF. Yet, when I am in dungeons, they still somehow gain aggro until the mob beats it dead. I get yelled at and blamed for being a huntard, but I honestly think it is something wrong. I have tried opening a ticket, but after days of it not getting answered, I gave up.

Warlocks have a similar issue, except their Wrathguards have a bug with Threatening Presence. They actually have turned it off, but their pet still has it enabled. I don't play Demonology so I don't have the pet, so I can't say how one goes about fixing that.

Ah, I thought there must be a bug.

Probably turning off Threatening Presence and then resummoning him with it already off would fix it.
I never use growl. Not even solo. But I've played hunters since vanilla and have learned the tricks.

The pet is designed to hold aggro against a hunter bursting a target. Anyone seen our burst lately?

If you leave on growl and have your pet in tanking spec (which could have been done while soloing and when the dungeon became available they forgot) then you could easily pull aggro from a tank.

(In the low level dungeons I run courrently I out damage the tank, so if my pet can hold aggro with me solo he could easily pull it from the tank.)
Ahh so the stampede growling pets are not my imagination!!! I was fearful of saying something about that at first. I remember thinking, I didn't even see a cat, where hell did he come from. Then it goes back to the wolf.

@ Nyr, my pet's growl has turned back on a few times. I now keep it on my bar where I can see it so I know if it's on.

As for seeing the debuff, is there an addon for it?
if the hunter pet is spec'ed tenacity (tank) instead of ferocity (dps) it will take aggro even with growl turned off. it's due to an AOE nature dot it places on mobs in it's vicinity
10/09/2012 05:48 AMPosted by Loans
From what I hear, Druids are kind of having a rough time with tanking. (Its just what i've hard, I paladin tank myself, so i don't know 100%)

That's more of an active mitigation issue than a threat issue. Our rage generation is crap >.O Actually makes for better threat since revenge stacks crazy high without any avoidance.

Rage issues really? I don't have too much of an issue. (But then again, I don't play a warrior so I have nothing to compare it too)
Yes, the ability Stampede will spam taunts for some crazy reason. Blizzard gave Death Knights a minor glyph that removes their Army of the Dead taunt, they should do the same with hunters. Also, I'm not sure if Dire Beast taunts. I've seen it taking hits in groups before too but hunters have no control over that pet. Other than just not using it.

There is an addon from curse.com that will report to you or the party when a pet taunts. It's called BadPet. Pretty useful for calling people out for things like that.
Yes, the ability Stampede will spam taunts for some crazy reason. Blizzard gave Death Knights a minor glyph that removes their Army of the Dead taunt, they should do the same with hunters. Also, I'm not sure if Dire Beast taunts. I've seen it taking hits in groups before too but hunters have no control over that pet. Other than just not using it.

There is an addon from curse.com that will report to you or the party when a pet taunts. It's called BadPet. Pretty useful for calling people out for things like that.

Damn you're my hero! Sad I have to get an addon to correct other people, but I'll do it!
10/09/2012 05:48 AMPosted by Vardar
Ahh so the stampede growling pets are not my imagination

Oh jesus. Only time I ever use stampede is if the tank dies. At which point I proceed to run around screaming and hope to god I manage to not die in the process.

I'm a bad hunter.

10/09/2012 05:54 AMPosted by Vardar
I'm not sure if Dire Beast taunts

Nope. it doesn't. It's merely there to generate more focus for us. Though they do put out a bit of damage.

Also, it might help if the hunters would misdirect on to you. I see a severe lack of Misdirecting going on when I tank on my paladin.