Pandaria's Governing Body?

Moon Guard
Well, is there any to begin with?

From what I could gather, Pandaria seems to have no higher governance, but more of a mutual collection of villages and hamlets.

As for the Shado-pan, I can kinda relate them to the Jedi Counsel. As in, they're not very big in numbers and are only there for peacekeeping purposes.

Or, there's a super-secret counsel that we don't know about. I dunno. Just give your opinion!
I suspect the August Celestials are pretty much the head honchos.
Well, we know that they had an imperial administration in the past, but it's kinda vague as to how they're ruled following the Sundering.
I would think they were kind of ruled by a sort of Feudalism type structure. Each village has it's elders, and farmers, but there are also the Shando-pan that protect them from the Sha and dangers that threaten their lands now. So the exchange of food, and produce from their fields, or even ore and materials from the different villages could be a very profitable market for the Shando-pan if that is how they function in the Pandarian lands.
They did appear to have an Emperor at some point, and the concept still is known from the Pandaren, if the quotes in one of the last new-pandaren quests are any evidence.
According to Taran Zhu, they have no standing army, and no standing army indicates that there's no true federal power in Pandaria. The Shado-Pan are the Pandaren's only line of defense against the Sha and the Mantid, until our war came to their land.

The Shado-Pan work in conjunction with the August Celestials and the Golden Lotus, and the latter is essentially a branch of the Shado-Pan dedicated to protecting the Vale.

Outside of these military powers, the land of Pandaria has no ruling body, but instead seems to be held by the Pandaren themselves. They share land in organizations founded by their own, such as the Tillers, or the land is held by single owners. They do have mayors of towns who are responsible for their townships, but they don't seem to report to anyone other than themselves; this is shown in the Jade Forest when separate Pandaren villages pledge themselves to our factions.

EDIT: That all said, all Pandaren pay homage and do as their gods wish with very little question, so one could say, from the Pandaren's standpoint, their rulers are their gods.
Based on the small snippets of background we have of each of the currently new organizations I have to go with a combination of overarching council that decides matters of higher urgency than simply matters of state with lower officials (mayors) given control of cities to govern in their own way.

I can see the Golden Lotus, Shado-Pan, Lorewalkers, August Celestials and Order of the Cloud Serpent being this overarching council that comes together in times of urgency to discuss matters that threaten Pandaria that cannot be dealt with by their organization alone.

So each village is left to its own devices in case of more mundane dangers - hozen, (naturally) rampaging animals, virmen, saurok, etc.

Yaungol coming in? Shado-Pan step in.
Mantid coming in? Shado-Pan step in.
Mogu? Shado-Pan and Golden Lotus step in.
Sha? Shado-Pan, Golden Lotus, Cloud Serpent, Lorewalkers, and August Celestials step in.
Their first and last Pandaren Emperor disappeared into the mists or became the mist or something ten thousand years ago when he was responsible for creating the mists that protected pandaria during the war of the ancients and the eventual sundering.

Before that? It was the Mogu. After that? ... there's something about a temporary hozen emperor but nothing more.
The White Tiger is obviously their god king so...

10/06/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Simurg
I suspect the August Celestials are pretty much the head honchos.

Also, I wanted to say.

10/06/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Lynox
According to Taran Zhu, they have no standing army, and no standing army indicates that there's no true federal power in Pandaria.

No it doesn't.
So, from what I can gather from the information above is that a loose theocracy with some oligarchy elements would somewhat describe Pandaria's government.

I may be getting the wrong message, but that's what I'm drawing up.
What you should be drawing from it is actually a number of independent city-states, each with their own administrations and few, if any, political ties to the rest, and an apparent lack of an actual centralized authority.

The Shado-Pan are not rulers. They are a respected military-monastic order with some degree of influence, but we see no evidence that they rule.

The monks of the Temples, likewise, do not appear to be rulers. They have significant influence, but neither they or the Celestials have been shown to actually govern the rest of the city-states.
What you should be drawing from it is actually a number of independent city-states, each with their own administrations and few, if any, political ties to the rest, and an apparent lack of an actual centralized authority.

The Shado-Pan are not rulers. They are a respected military-monastic order with some degree of influence, but we see no evidence that they rule.

The monks of the Temples, likewise, do not appear to be rulers. They have significant influence, but neither they or the Celestials have been shown to actually govern the rest of the city-states.

Hence why I said a 'loose theocracy'. While I do see that the Celestials and the Temples have major influence but no actual ruling power, people in Pandaria do things on a whim for them.

One example would be the Jade mining in the Jade Forest. According to the quests, it took them one hundred years (And I assume tons of jade) purely to make a statue for the rebirth of a new Celestials.

As for the Shado-pan, the same can be said. They may not have authority, but people treat them with extreme respect and will often follow the orders they give.

And, to be honest, I simply can't see city-states in Pandaria. I could see spheres of influence, but no actual city-states.
City-state seems the most appropriate term to me, frankly. They appear to be largely autonomous cities with no larger governments. Using the broader definition of 'city and surrounds' seems entirely adequate for most of the Pandaren communities, with only the Jade Forest being a potential exception (Dawn's Blossom is described as the provincial capital, so either they mean in the context of the old Empire or the province Jade Forest is in is it's own state, though this does not necessarily preclude city-state status).
10/07/2012 12:13 AMPosted by Everen
City-state seems the most appropriate term to me, frankly. They appear to be largely autonomous cities with no larger governments. Using the broader definition of 'city and surrounds' seems entirely adequate for most of the Pandaren communities, with only the Jade Forest being a potential exception (Dawn's Blossom is described as the provincial capital, so either they mean in the context of the old Empire or the province Jade Forest is in is it's own state, though this does not necessarily preclude city-state status).
Well, a few areas are referred to as "provinces" (Zhu province in Krasarang Wilds, Zouchin province in Kun-Lai summit), which just made me even more interested in their governance.

My theory is that they are still technically an "Empire", but the throne has been empty since the Sundering, and the central government has long gone defunct to the point that the provinces have become more-or-less autonomous loosely confederated states.
Bump since although I have nothing to add to this discussion, I'd like to see more opinions. :D
I'd have to agree with Boristus' theory. While the Pandarian Empire may be gone, the people of Pandaria seem to recognize the fact, even after ten thousand years, that they had an emperor.

Though, I'd still like to like to think that Pandaren do not even live in confederate states. That while there is towns and hamlets with a certain ruling class, but pandarens work together for the common good rather then orders from a ruler.

Now here's my next question, and it's purely theorycrafting...

Do the Pandaren on Pandaria want a new emperor?