Smelt Dark Iron - Getting Ignored.

Customer Support
1 2 3 5 Next
I'm looking for some REAL help, not the kind of 'help' offered by in-game GMs. I have sent in two tickets, and gotten the same result twice. I asked politely not to be brushed aside and sent the same pre-recorded message about my issue, but I have been ignored on this matter and I am getting pretty upset. Listen, I know its a 4-5 day wait for a response in-game right now, but when you shove aside my problem without properly investigating it you are only giving yourself more work because I'm going to keep coming back until you pay attention to me and FIX MY PROBLEM.

So here's what I keep getting sent:

First, Blizzard Support does not provide game hints. Second, we've looked over the information you've provided in your ticket, and feel that you may be able to find the answer you're looking for on one of our official fansites. Below are some great resources for quest information, gameplay hints, and even some basic help on playing your character:

I'm then directed to wowhead or wowpedia. I wont argue about being a fair deal more intelligent than half your player base and I wont argue that I LIVE by sites like wowhead for all the information I need about your game. We'll ignore it because you don't know me. Lets take a look at what both these sites say.

wowpedia:
You must give a tribute to Gloom'rel, a ghost in the Summoners' Tomb in the Blackrock Depths before he will teach this recipe. After speaking to him, a bowl will appear at his feet. Touching the bowl will offer the quest [55] The Spectral Chalice. Speak to him again after completing the tribute and he will teach you to smelt. Also, Gloom'rel will remember that you paid him so if you ever decide to temporary drop mining as a skill then you can relearn the ability to smelt it again at a later time by simply paying him a visit.

wowhead, top comment:
You get this quest by talking to Gloom'Rel, one of the seven dwarves in Blackrock Depths. He will ask for a tribute so remember to bring:

2 Star Ruby
10 Truesilver Bars
20 Gold Bars

He will tell you to put them in a Spectral Chalice. Don't forget to talk to him again after you have done this.

(All comments on WoWhead do not deviate from this one)

This is the accepted way of learning how to smelt dark iron. Without a doubt, 100% clean cut. You talk to the NPC Gloom'rel, he gives you a quest if you are a miner with enough skill, you complete the quest - which requires 2 star rubies, 10 truesilver bars, and 20 gold bars, then you speak to Gloom'rel again and he will teach you how to smelt dark iron.

Are we okay? Have you followed me so far? Good. So when I explained that I did EXACTLY this in BOTH of my tickets, and you pass me off BOTH times with 'We're not allowed to give you in game hints and we're pretty sure you are missing something'... maybe you can understand my frustration right now. Don't tell me you 'looked over the information in my ticket' when you barely gave it a passing glance.

I logged in today, saw another useless response, and I decided 'maybe' after maintenance it would be fixed. I took my direbrew remote to BRD, talked to EVERY SINGLE DWARF without starting the encounter and NONE of them will teach me how to smelt dark iron. Definitely not Gloom'rel, definitely not ANY of them. I've been back here TWICE after completing the quest AND killing them... Gloom'rel will NOT teach me what I want, and I cannot complete the quest again because I've already completed it.

Do me a favor, check my character for the quest complete flag on 'The Spectral Chalice', confirm for yourself that I have done this. Believe me when I say Gloom'rel will not teach me how to smelt dark iron, and just bestow the skill onto me. This can't possibly be a long process, and will save us the time of me putting in several more tickets until I get a proper investigation.

http://imageshack.us/f/580/wowscrnshot100912141019.jpg/

I've been to Gloom'rel on two separate computers, and even cleared the cache/wtf/interface folders. This is a problem on your end. If I can help you figure this out, I will. Please just solve my problem for me instead of brushing me aside.
If you think you've found a bug, report it using the appropriate venues (note that in-game tickets are not one of those venues).

The in-game GMs cannot explain how you should be doing something. Particularly if you're missing something.
"The Universe just loves proving me wrong, doesn't it?" -- Sokka
"You make it too easy!" -- Toph
Have I been cheated again? Had my complaint skimmed without a thought? I'm not looking for an explanation on how to do something in-game. I KNOW how to learn to smelt dark iron. What I WANT is to have the skill because the game is not giving it to me by no fault of my own.

A friend of mine already reported this bug for me, but do you really think something like this is going to be fixed anytime soon? Aside from myself I've only seen 2 other characters with the same problem.

I'm not missing anything except the skill, and my patience if you count both useless responses I received to my tickets. Acknowledging that it could be a bug is more than I got from blizzard so far.
Been a while since I leveled my blacksmith, so I might be wrong here (and if so, correction welcomed!).

I think I remember you don't need to be taught smelting of dark iron anymore...you just have to be at the right place (there is ONLY one place in the ENTIRE game you can smelt dark iron). You have to go to just before the throneroom in Blackrock Depths dungeon, and instead of going forward, you take a right like you are going to go to the Molten Core. BUT, you do not go INTO the Molton Core instance. Instead you see a metal catwalk to the left leading over the molten flows, where at the end of the catwalk there is a fire elemental. You nuke the fire elemental and stand at the end of the catwalk (it dead ends there where the elemental was standing) and you smelt there. It is the only place in the game where you can smelt dark iron.

Again...been a loooooooong time since I did this, so I could be all wet...and if so, please someone correct me!

added edit: if you find out this is right or wrong, either way, please come back and post to let others know that use forum search and stumble across this topic.
Something like that is not something a GM can just grant.

By posting that its a bug, is about all that can be done from this point, and hopefuly that it will get fixed, if it is indeed a bug.
10/09/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Nazrin
What I WANT is to have the skill because the game is not giving it to me by no fault of my own.

Unfortunately that's not an option. GMs cannot grant someone a skill like that.

10/09/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Nazrin
I'm not missing anything except the skill, and my patience if you count both useless responses I received to my tickets.

Either you have an issue with your interface or you've encountered a bug. What you were asking of the GMs is not possible and does end up being an in-game hint. You don't have to like their responses, but that doesn't make them useless.
I didn't see this in your rant, but did you actually talk to the chalice beside the NPC? The quote you have up there from WoW Head is actually from 1996... Here is one that is more recent:

downvote
Runemauler on 2012/07/15 (Patch 4.3.4)

Gloom'Rel does not personally give you the quest. After you tell him, "tell me your secrets", he spawns a small floating 'bowl' just to his left, and it is from this that you pick up / turn in the quest. You then talk to him, after you've completed the 'bowl's' quest, and he teaches you this skill.
OP, i can understand how a ticket response like that would be frustrating. They should've taken a moment to at least clarify if it was or was not a bug, rather than just respond telling you to look elsewhere when you have clearly done your homework on this topic already. Unfortunately, GM's don't really do that sort of thing these days.

Aside from that, GM's are very unlikely to just grant you the ability, even if it's due to a bug. Your only option is to post this on the bug report forum and wait.
Either you have an issue with your interface or you've encountered a bug. What you were asking of the GMs is not possible and does end up being an in-game hint. You don't have to like their responses, but that doesn't make them useless.

Sure it does. It is clear they didn't read what I had explained to them. Pahanda gave me a FAR better response that I would have accepted had it been the first response. Instead I was seriously told twice that I'm missing something and I should research what I'm trying to do before reopening a ticket.

10/09/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Reenela
By posting that its a bug, is about all that can be done from this point, and hopefuly that it will get fixed, if it is indeed a bug.

Unfortunately that's not an option. GMs cannot grant someone a skill like that.

If that is true then I guess all I can do is try to get this noticed on bug forums.

10/09/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Adiathna
I think I remember you don't need to be taught smelting of dark iron anymore...you just have to be at the right place (there is ONLY one place in the ENTIRE game you can smelt dark iron). You have to go to just before the throneroom in Blackrock Depths dungeon, and instead of going forward, you take a right like you are going to go to the Molten Core. BUT, you do not go INTO the Molton Core instance. Instead you see a metal catwalk to the left leading over the molten flows, where at the end of the catwalk there is a fire elemental. You nuke the fire elemental and stand at the end of the catwalk (it dead ends there where the elemental was standing) and you smelt there. It is the only place in the game where you can smelt dark iron.

You're right that you need that forge to smelt the dark iron, but you do still need the skill itself in your mining profession. I checked the forge out the first time anyway, just in case the skill would magically manifest itself into my profession only while standing near the forge. No dice.
I didn't see this in your rant, but did you actually talk to the chalice beside the NPC? The quote you have up there from WoW Head is actually from 1996... Here is one that is more recent:

downvote
Runemauler on 2012/07/15 (Patch 4.3.4)

Gloom'Rel does not personally give you the quest. After you tell him, "tell me your secrets", he spawns a small floating 'bowl' just to his left, and it is from this that you pick up / turn in the quest. You then talk to him, after you've completed the 'bowl's' quest, and he teaches you this skill.

Yes, the chalice itself gives the quest. You talk to Gloom'rel and he has a chat option to spawn the chalice if you have not done the quest already. The screenshot I posted shows that I do not have the skill, and Gloom'rel has no chat option - not to spawn the chalice (proving I've done the quest, as the chalice is also not in that screenshot), and not to give me the skill.
I just tried it too, and he didn't teach me the skill. I talked to him, clicked on the chalice and completed that quest with the tribue, but Gloom'rel won't teach me the Smelt Dark Iron skill. I've submitted a Bug Report. We'll see what comes of that.
I share the same frustration Nazrin, I have not received an answer to my ticket yet as of this writing so I do not know how they will respond to me. I might add being exhalted with Thorium Brotherhood doesn't help in the cause. Gloom'rel still won't respond. I have other characters with the appropriate mining skills, all the mats, etc.. and will exhalt them with TB as well, but I won't try with them until I hear if it was a bug or not. Here is hoping that they will look into this matter.
Same here, I submitted the bug report... we will see what happens with it.
I agree with the OP. He is not asking for a "Clue" or "Cheat" He wants to be able to smelt Dark Iron ore. Now I don't know why he can't but I am sure this is a bug. I am going right now to see if I can with mine. For some reason I thought u only needed the forge since a patch awhile back.

But I will check. I will also put in a bug report if I can not do it as the OP can not.
I agree with the OP. He is not asking for a "Clue" or "Cheat" He wants to be able to smelt Dark Iron ore. Now I don't know why he can't but I am sure this is a bug. I am going right now to see if I can with mine. For some reason I thought u only needed the forge since a patch awhile back.

But I will check. I will also put in a bug report if I can not do it as the OP can not.

I have never known anyone to get back Dark Iron smelting in the last two years if they dropped mining after doing the quest. Have you seen any posts recently that said you could redo the quest?

Last miner I leveled still needed the quest to smelt dark iron. It wasn't automatic.

Keep in mind the OP has already done the quest once then dropped mining erasing his capabilities.
After reporting the bug, I suggest just moving on and not worry about it. A bug like this will have extremely low priority.

Dark Iron is from Vanilla. As such, it is not current content. This only impacts a very small number of players. QA will be focusing on bugs in current content and those that impact a large number of players. They probably won't try to resolve low priority bugs until all of the high priority are taken care off.
Most people who want Dark Iron smelting now-a-days do it for the guild achievement "A Legendary Collection", which requires that a Sulfuron Hammer is crafted. In an indirect way, you could call this current content.

But indeed, if this ability cannot be trained and smelting Dark Iron cannot be done without the skill (I have no idea because my miners trained it in vanilla, so I cannot test) then bug reports are definitely the way to go.
I am experiencing the same problem.
You're right that you need that forge to smelt the dark iron, but you do still need the skill itself in your mining profession. I checked the forge out the first time anyway, just in case the skill would magically manifest itself into my profession only while standing near the forge. No dice.

That is strange, Nazrin, I really don't see any reason that you should not be able to learn the skill. I'm sorry for any confusion that there has been so far. It looks like a Game Master is looking at your current ticket, I'll see what I can find out from him.
It does look like this matter is under investigation by our QA department. I don't have an easy solution at the moment but hopefully one will be available soon enough.