Roleplaying a Dragon?

Moon Guard
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
No RP concept is harder than any other RP concept in this universe considering the writing of the setting.

So please, people, stop saying "oh man dragons are tricky" or whatever. Any writer with a set of tools and understanding can excel at any race in this game, dragons included.

It bugs me that dragons are on this pedestal, same with the whole demon hunter role play deal or whatever. Just because you don't have the avatar that physically reflects it doesn't mean it becomes harder to write for. Our avatars are already paltry imitations of what we think they look like anyways.

OP, go for it. Just remember, the effort you put into your role play and the time investment are ultimately what bring the most satisfying results.
Go for it to eachs own. Also I am also accepting of Dragon rpers.
Wait!! Stax is a dragon?!
You should practice( practice, not the actually RP game -practice-) it, maybe a a few trial sessions and see how well it goes.
see the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
First thing to do Shilo, would be to examine the flights and their class choices as well as what names and behaviors they have.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Dragon

Knowing the aspects and what they aspire to do is very important as well. Especially since they tend to be the leaders of each Flight, or allied to one another in the remaining power struggle after Deathwing's fall.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Dragon_Aspects
http://www.wowpedia.org/Legacy_of_the_Aspects

Most importantly, knowing the flights and their aspirations as well can be something that you would need to know on hand.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Dragonflight

There are a lot of dragon roleplayers that keep it under the wraps, mostly to avoid being harassed by fellow players, or simply because they wish to keep the mystique of the role.

Either way, it is considered "Bad" for roleplay to be a black flight member, or some unheard of flight, it is also considered to be "Bad" for roleplay to flaunt what you are right off the bat. Chromie is an exception seeing as he is an NPC and Lorefigure you encounter again and again throughout the timeways in Caverns of Time as well as in Hyjal, but it's a general fact that most dragons avoid exposure to blend in with the mortal races easier and observe them as their caretakers.

With these tips I've given, I wish you the best with the role if you chose to play it. It's very hard to pull off, but I'm fairly confident you can do it, Shilo.
I'm posting on this toon because of her RP dealing with the same matter. While she herself is not Dragonkin, her "pet"/companion is of the red Flight and is RPed as a toon just as much as she is.

Red Dragons are probably the most approachable of the dragonflights. They tend to be secretive though and won't hesitate to attack "lesser" races before engaging them in actual conversation. Most dragons are born from the Broodmother herself, so be prepared to have Alexstrasza for a mom.

Red Dragons protect life but they have a different outlook on how to approach this. Most dragons consider themselves "above" most races, so you might have adopt that kind of attitude. Be warned... most people consider dragons to be enemies, so you might pick up a few rivals as you play.

It should also be noted that Orcs originally enslaved the Red Dragonflight for their own personal use during the second war and so that personal resentment can work well with Alliance RP. Seeing as how the only thing they hate more are the Black Dragons and current events, that opens up a door.
I rp a dragon. Green represent. WEWT WEWT!

Just do it! Research and do it if it's what you want. :)

Either way, it is considered "Bad" for roleplay to be a black flight member

Didn't stop me :3

Either way, it is considered "Bad" for roleplay to be a black flight member

Rebel.
Red dragons are for boring people.

Mm. I play a red, myself. It can be done and done well with careful research, subtlety, and of course accepting RP groups. If you're rejected or reviled, those silly people weren't worth associating with anyway.

Case in point.
Red dragons are for boring people.

Mm. I play a red, myself. It can be done and done well with careful research, subtlety, and of course accepting RP groups. If you're rejected or reviled, those silly people weren't worth associating with anyway.

Case in point.

Hello, my name is boring. It is so very nice to meet you. <3

Rebel.

can't stop won't stop
10/03/2012 11:31 PMPosted by Stax
Nonetheless, will come back to these topics in 8 or so hours, when I wake up.

Mmm, 8 hours later...

10/03/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Zekeal
The biggest problem is the power innate with older dragons.
Ehhhh...

It's people who RP having all of their wyrm-y strength under the guise of a high elf that make my eye twitch. Aside from that, hey, we're all powerful healers. It's not my fault you went for the tail.

10/03/2012 11:55 PMPosted by Jorn
It bugs me that dragons are on this pedestal, same with the whole demon hunter role play deal or whatever.
It's mostly because people like to RP dark and/or brooding mysterious characters, but need someone to acknowledge it or else all their 'efforts' are in vain. [/Opinion]

See: People proclaiming cults in the cathedral.

That was you? Ho-!@#$.

I don't have some BURNING AND UNFULFILLED DESIRE to play the drake, but I'd give it a shot if I could think of things for him to do that are worth doing. At the same time, I don't want 'things that are worth doing' to become "Might as well be a regular human/worgen" or "locked into secluded plot-based RP with two people that only happens every two years".

It'd be a big departure from my usual RP with Marcus, and require more finesse and forethought than I daresay I could manage on all but the best of days.

If this is the case, we can discuss this in my office, when I log in, in say, an hour tops.
10/04/2012 12:50 AMPosted by Sarîa
Wait!! Stax is a dragon?!

This is going to get tasteless, isn't it?
10/04/2012 02:03 AMPosted by Bridjett
Most dragons are born from the Broodmother herself, so be prepared to have Alexstrasza for a mom.
What a scarlet harlot.
If you have enough friends, then you should definitely do it. If you don't have enough friends to support you roleplaying an out of the way concept, it's probably best you back off unless you want to deal with a lot of flack.

Actually, go for it. Enough people accept Stax that they can't really say anything about it without looking like a hypocrite.

Edit: Stax, not Snixar. Oops.
Is it doable? Yes.

However the vast majority of roleplayers won't really engage you in RP, due to either bad past experiences, or just following the bandwagon.
I agree. Dragons seem to not give a damn about secrecy going by NPC behavior. I've always wondered where the whole "The only good dragon RPer is the guy nobody knows about!" thing came from.

I really think its just a round-about way for people to silence dragon RP.

• Black dragons that manipulate you before discarding their mortal guise. (See: Pre-cata Vanilla questgivers.)
  • Dragons who are very cautious and are paranoid against others' intentions.
  • Krasus/Korialstrasz & Kalec(gos) in the books, something a lot of people look up to.

• In the quests and descriptions we take from NPC dragons, more often than not they just tell us because:
  • They don't care.
  • They're in a mortal guise to fit in smaller and more compact spaces.
  • They deem you not a threat to them in the slightest.
  • They know mortals would love to side and gain favor with a giant-flying-firebreathing-lizard, because it's a good thing for them to like you.
  • -Really-, how often would your average adventurer turn someone down? How about if they revealed their true form and asked again?
  • They're idiots who blew their cover.
  • They lacked the foresight to realize what consequences this may have down the line.
  • They have the foresight to realize what consequences this may have, and deem it worth it. Either this, or they have every intention of murdering you afterwords.

• However this is simply from memory.
    10/04/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Pylsur
    So, mostly they just don't care.
    Nowadays, yeah.