Alliance - Would you rather?

Story Forum
Would you rather a Warchief-style "High King" like Varian is going to be turning into.

Or would you rather see a ruling council consisting of each of the alliance leaders?

Maybe presided over by Varian for order, but give each of them a responsibility to different branches of the Alliance. Varian military, Dwarves economy/archaeology, Mekkatorke science, Tyrande ambassador to the Cenarion Circle and other neutral factions, Velen spiritual and citizen representative... They all have a say in what the Alliance does, gives insight from, provides information on what the people want or intel on border skirmishes and other issues... This is just my idea for a council, not really part of the question.

I think that kind of organization better defines "Alliance." Currently alliance is just a name and it's more becoming "the empire."
None of those. What we have right now is what we need. An Alliance of nations that work together for the greater good of its members. Things could be better, with a better representation of each race (because no, Blizz, Humans and orcs are NOT the only races that matter). But the concept we have now is the right one.
Would you rather a Warchief-style "High King" like Varian is going to be turning into.

Or would you rather see a ruling council consisting of each of the alliance leaders?

Maybe presided over by Varian for order, but give each of them a responsibility to different branches of the Alliance. Varian military, Dwarves economy/archaeology, Mekkatorke science, Tyrande ambassador to the Cenarion Circle and other neutral factions, Velen spiritual and citizen representative... They all have a say in what the Alliance does, gives insight from, provides information on what the people want or intel on border skirmishes and other issues... This is just my idea for a council, not really part of the question.

I think that kind of organization better defines "Alliance." Currently alliance is just a name and it's more becoming "the empire."

I'd rather it be just as it is now. I don't want some pansy in Stormwind telling the Dwarves what to do, I'd also assume the Night elves, Draenei, Worgen, Pandaren or Gnomes would either. While I'd like to see a WW2 esque style form of Military leadership should be best. A supreme commander to lead the combined force, while it also doesn't piss on another nation's sovereignty.
Racial Leaders - Racial leaders are completely distinct and wholly responsible for their own races well being (barring military/financial/etc. aid in times of need) and governing as far as their territory's borders are concerned.

Senate - Senate with a delegate from each race with equal representation that votes on faction-wide agendas and bring attention to matters that needed to be brought to attention (Ex: 'We Humans are having trouble with kobolds, could anyone spare aid' etc.)

SAC - The absolute leader of the allied forces of the Alliance. Races will still have their own distinct commanders however the SAC has the authority to override any orders a racial commander makes if needed. This authority only extends to military matters and is only enacted during times of complete all-out war.

This is the system I would like to see for the Alliance.
Racial Leaders - Racial leaders are completely distinct and wholly responsible for their own races well being (barring military/financial/etc. aid in times of need) and governing as far as their territory's borders are concerned.

Senate - Senate with a delegate from each race with equal representation that votes on faction-wide agendas and bring attention to matters that needed to be brought to attention (Ex: 'We Humans are having trouble with kobolds, could anyone spare aid' etc.)

SAC - The absolute leader of the allied forces of the Alliance. Races will still have their own distinct commanders however the SAC has the authority to override any orders a racial commander makes if needed. This authority only extends to military matters and is only enacted during times of complete all-out war.

This is the system I would like to see for the Alliance.

I would change the SAC's authority to 'most' of each race's military forces. It would not look good if the human SAC stripped away all military forces from some of the other races, leaving them vulnerable to attack. Each race would have an army or armies to guard it's lands, with any extra forces available for the SAC's needs.
10/09/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Auryanna

Speculation, we have no idea what a, "High King," will have in terms of authority or sovereignty as of yet.

This is already how matters of the Alliance as a whole are handled.

First of all, no, the Alliance has been a diplomatic agreement between kingdoms and states for mutual support and aid.

Secondly, how is the Alliance becoming an, 'Empire,' exactly?
Ideally the SAC would not make choices willy nilly and would only draw from other race's forces if it was absolutely needed. Ideally, the SAC would not just call on the Night elves to defend Westfall from a massive siege unless it was absolutely needed and outside the power of the Humans alone. The SAC would have to be almost superhuman in their ability to analyze and assess situations and make a call to draw on other forces as if they were part of one nation.

Perhaps it should be a system of Supreme Allied Commanders so mortal error would not be easily attributed to one person.

Also, SAC would not be enacted unless it was direly needed, like in the Great Wars, or now.
Supreme Allied Commanders

In my ideal world, Bolvar and Shandris would've been the SAC, sadly that won't come to pass, I would've also liked Arator to become more renown.
Jaina could have made a good S.A.C. Her abilities to transport large numbers of troops vast distances with little effort on her part would be pretty godly.
Less SAC, more Allied Joint Chiefs of Staff.
I'd far rather prefer having a High King that makes the final, big calls, but has the other faction leaders under him more than capable of doing whatever they please, including a removal of the High King if every faction leader agreed.
10/09/2012 06:59 PMPosted by Isaiath
I'd far rather prefer having a High King that makes the final, big calls, but has the other faction leaders under him more than capable of doing whatever they please, including a removal of the High King if every faction leader agreed.

So all he needs is one puppet ruler of another nation and he remains High King? Perhaps majority rule?
10/09/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Ximothy

So all he needs is one puppet ruler of another nation and he remains High King? Perhaps majority rule?

Because that works so well with the Horde.

If there is a High King, it needs to be the weakest nation. Otherwise, the other nations are going to be bullied.
10/09/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Elenie
Jaina could have made a good S.A.C.

Except Jaina's kind of worthless when it comes to a lot of military matters.
10/09/2012 09:54 PMPosted by Ferlion
If there is a High King, it needs to be the weakest nation. Otherwise, the other nations are going to be bullied.

Gelbin Mekkatorque for High King!
10/10/2012 12:40 AMPosted by Christhemity
How it is now. Equal leadership amongst all racial leaders. Just Varian tends to be our prime voice. I don't want to be a part of the Empire like the Horde.

I would've accepted a Empire-type government if Night Elves and Draenei weren't a part of it (Allies maybe).
10/09/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Elenie
Jaina could have made a good S.A.C. Her abilities to transport large numbers of troops vast distances with little effort on her part would be pretty godly.

Actually, Jaina would be good at battlefield magic and troop and equipment/supply movement. Not at being SAC.
I'd prefer a new Lothar.
10/10/2012 09:01 AMPosted by Musubi
I'd prefer a new Lothar.

So rather than a new character, with a new personality, you want a carbon copy of a pervious hero?