Part 2: NVIDIA driver crashing

Technical Support
Prev 1 20 21 22 26 Next
Just wanted to put my results here, as many have reported with newer games, many gtx 570 580 cards are doing the drop to desktop, driver not responding errors. I had the issues as well since day 1 of MoP. Changing to directx9 did make the issue go away. It occurs usually in seconds, rapid fire nonstop every 30 seconds.

I am using the latest beta drivers as of today from nividia and that did not solve the problem so as some have already discovered, some manufactures have released bios updates to up the voltage on the cards to the GPU and for many that's solved the issue.

For those like myself I haven't found an updated bios at all for my Zotac amped edition 570. I downloaded the latest MSI afterburner software, and enabled GPU voltage change and restarted afterburner.

I changed the gpu voltage from 1000Mv (1.0 volts) to 1100Mv (1.1 volts) and click apply. I Then changed the settings in "system" of WoW to dx11.

Ran perfect for 2 hours not one crash. If you google dx11 crash and 1.1volt you will see a slew of people that have the issue. Would seem this is a DX11/nvidia/manufacturer issue. Try it and see if it works for you. Even if your getting the 132# errors. Note* Once you change voltage in msiafterburner, also enable voltage checking so you can alt tab out of wow and make sure it is running the 1100Mv like its supposed to. You will have to close the program once you make the change and reopen it to make it stick.

Furthermore, remember overvolting the GPU makes it run hotter, and doing it to high can damage the card.
Alternativley you can try bumping it up to maybe 1015Mv and slowly keep testing wow until you reach a stable number if you do not want to shoot straight to 1100Mv
Been having a lot of the same problems with my 560 TI. I installed the 310.70 beta driver and continued to have problems. I decided to read the release notes from Nvidia. There is a section where they address WoW in "Not NVIDIA Issues." (page 21 & 22)

Quote from the release notes.

"World of Warcraft–if you have run the 3D Vision setup wizard, then the game automatically enables 3D stereo even after you disable it.

To work around this issue, you must uninstall the 3D Vision driver"

I did as suggested and thus far it appears to be working. I will add I have the game running in DX9. The only problems I have seen so far is on occasion the game hangs for a few seconds.

Hope this helps some of you.

Well this didn't help in dx11 that's for sure. Travelled 1 foot before getting booted back to desktop.

This is retarded.
For everyone else that posted,

We need to try this again. If the only issue that you are having is that the Nvidia driver crashes, and reverting to DX9 does not resolve your issue, I don't need you to post because that issue is already being looked into.

I only need you to post the requested information if your Nvidia driver is crashing AND reverting to DX9 stops the crash.

What exactly do we need to post? I've been having significant freezes, only solution was to do a hard reboot, since you couldn't alt-tab and end through the Task Manager. Today I did the following:

1. Switched to DX9
2. Enabled Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering (based on info in the other post referenced at the beginning of this thread).
3. Switched to Full Screen mode.

I've only played once, but after a very long time, I was able to get through a dungeon without a freeze after these changes. Based on the blue post, I suspect it's only (1) above that made the difference, but I am too scared to go and change (2) and (3) back in case things get messed up again.

Again, what are we supposed to post if changing to DX9 worked?
Ive been getting error132 while doing instances sometimes. Im on vista64, Nvidia geforce gtx 550ti, drivers are up to date. You can find my thread here with dxdiag/error log.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7199031576#1
Been having a lot of the same problems with my 560 TI. I installed the 310.70 beta driver and continued to have problems. I decided to read the release notes from Nvidia. There is a section where they address WoW in "Not NVIDIA Issues." (page 21 & 22)

Quote from the release notes.

"World of Warcraft–if you have run the 3D Vision setup wizard, then the game automatically enables 3D stereo even after you disable it.

To work around this issue, you must uninstall the 3D Vision driver"

I did as suggested and thus far it appears to be working. I will add I have the game running in DX9. The only problems I have seen so far is on occasion the game hangs for a few seconds.

Hope this helps some of you.

Well this didn't help in dx11 that's for sure. Travelled 1 foot before getting booted back to desktop.

This is retarded.

I clearly said I was running in DX9 with the only problem being an occasional freeze. After playing with this configuration since my original post, my longest freeze has been 2 seconds. Unfortunately this is an eternity while fighting anything. But it is better than my usual BSOD before doing this.

I provided a fix that thus far has worked for me, and might help some other folks while we wait for Blizz & Nvidia to resolve the driver problems. What part of that is retarded?

This is retarded.

I clearly said I was running in DX9 with the only problem being an occasional freeze. After playing with this configuration since my original post, my longest freeze has been 2 seconds. Unfortunately this is an eternity while fighting anything. But it is better than my usual BSOD before doing this.

I provided a fix that thus far has worked for me, and might help some other folks while we wait for Blizz & Nvidia to resolve the driver problems. What part of that is retarded?

I was merely saying it doesn't work in dx11, not attacking you. As far the retarded comment, that was directed at Blizzard and Nvidia about this situation, not you. Relax, you're doing good work :)
Disabling SSAO fixed my crashes, every other settings stayed the same (so Ultra, DX11 etc).
[quote][quote]
I was merely saying it doesn't work in dx11, not attacking you. As far the retarded comment, that was directed at Blizzard and Nvidia about this situation, not you. Relax, you're doing good work :)

My apologies, I blame my pain meds for jumping to conclusions. :)

NVIDIA has clearly stated in their release notes that this is not their problem and placing the responsibility on Blizzard to fix this issue. I just love the spirit of cooperation between the two.
[quote][quote]

NVIDIA has clearly stated in their release notes that this is not their problem and placing the responsibility on Blizzard to fix this issue. I just love the spirit of cooperation between the two.

Well, if it's only happening in WoW, they have a point. I know I did a 12 hour burn in on my GTX 650 without incident.

Well, if it's only happening in WoW, they have a point. I know I did a 12 hour burn in on my GTX 650 without incident.

What gets me about Video card companies of todays generation, is they feel they have to have the "Super Deluxe Magnetron 52000 Super Grade B Hyber Thread Pylon Accelerator" in a game. To play a pc game you need :

1. Sound
2. Video
3. Equipment ( mouse, kb, monitor )

Companies try to go overboard with surround sound and all that crap and in the shuffle ,quality gets lost and tons of errors pop up when its probably avoidable. Then Company A says its not their problem, it's company B's and vice versa, leaving the use frustrated and not able to play.

This is for the 310.70 BETA drivers. In reading up in the notes, it appears a few other games / programs are having "issues" with being able to "interpret the drivers." Funny thing is, NVIDIA states in the notes they are working with some developers to resolve the issue(s) with the driver(s). Just not with Blizzard.

So it looks like we are all in hurry up and wait mode until the problem is resolved.
I've been having the same issues that all of you have been having. I'm using the GTX 560 Ti with DX11, and the only stable soultion that has worked for me has been using the the driver version 280.26. I only play a couple hours at a time a few days a week and have my in game grapichs set to super. But, I've been with these drivers for a few weeks now and I think I've only crashed once in Loch Modan, it was annoying but everything else has been fine. I hope this will help some of you til someone figures out what the underlying problem really is.
Well....was fine for about 2 weeks on DX9... and bam.. this morning.... driver fail. This !@#$ is ridiculous only after about 30min of play.
Feel free to ignore my spec posting, as I had motherboard failure this morning. I'm probably not a representative case. ;)
I was being kicked to desktop every hour with both the free trial and since sub. I tried this fix:
Try this fix from microsoft it solved my issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946
and it seemed to help somewhat.

I then tried some other suggestions like the switch to DX9 and removing the NVidea 3D Display drivers and those seemed to help a bit too.(1 crash every 3-4 hours.)

I then toned down my 550 Ti Factory Superclocked to 1100 volts max and changed my precision X to auto adjust fan speed and that helped a bit too.

However 3 days ago I tried this suggestion:
12/10/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Smentfong
Disabling SSAO fixed my crashes, every other settings stayed the same (so Ultra, DX11 etc).

And (knock on wood) I have been "kicked to desktop" free since. That includes a 10+ hours session yesterday.

This is a frustrating problem that seems to happen when you are doing something important. Hope the root of these problems gets fixed for everyone soon.
response from NVIDIA:

[932980] [WoW TDR] Multiple kernal driver stopped responding. on Windows 7 and 8 64-bit U...

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Ray) 12/12/2012 11:19 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your submission. We are still investigating the problem. The problem has been difficult for our lab to replicate for some reason. We have successfully replicate a couple of TDR errors after about an hour, but wasn't able to determine much based on those failures. The difficultly in replicating the failure has been a challenge. if you have information that can help reliably replicate the failure on-demand please let us know. So far most of the reports simply suggest to play the game since the crash appears to be completely random.

Best regards,
Ray
This is an ongoing and current issue and neither Blizzard nor Nvidia seems to want to own up to it. There are many posts of in the Nvidia forum, some by myself and there are countless ones here of the problem.

I'm currently having the issue with my GTX 560 (PNY Brand) and let me tell you, NOTHING works as a fix right now except to turn SSAO off and fix my WoW settings to the "High" default - also, DX9 only, which is very odd because before 5.1, I was running Ultra with DX9. DX11 only started having issues when 5.0.4 came. In essence, when 5.0 first hit, I was running Ultra settings with DX11 enabled and all was well so this seems to at least hint that Blizzard has some blame in this.

The good news for some of you is that if you are running Windows 7, I'd advise you to try driver package 295.xx, I forget which exactly but it was under 300 and it worked very well. 304.79 was also very good. I can't now since I'm on Windows 8. Those of us on Windows 8 are stuck with 306.23 or higher.
I was having this problem in a severe way. I changed my settings from Fullscreen mode to Windowed (Fullscreen) and it is now rock solid.

I am running a 580 on Win 8
Right so after a long few weeks where my computer had been sent back to its manufacturer to have a look at, they told me that something "interesting" had happened- they then went on to telling me that it WAS the drivers and we must wait for a newer one ( 500-600 GPU's seem prominent when it comes to the problems!) and that when they tested it with an older card (a 480 I think) the problem had stopped, I'd like to note they tested wow, youtube and other games, all have this crash and graphical issues.