Pet Battles and Roleplaying: Thoughts & Ideas

Moon Guard
10/07/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Ferenold
I don't really think that'd be fair to say. Why would the 'fad' of 'pet-fighting' currently hit Azeroth at this moment? It seems highly improbably. And once again, it feels contrived. There's no actual explanation for it.

Why do any fads hit at their times? There isn't much of an explanation for it.

Kind of like how right now "#YOLO" and "Gangnam style" are going on.
10/07/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Tadkins
I don't really think that'd be fair to say. Why would the 'fad' of 'pet-fighting' currently hit Azeroth at this moment? It seems highly improbably. And once again, it feels contrived. There's no actual explanation for it.

Except there's no modern internet in Azeroth that automatically spreads fads around at such a quick speed. Azeroth is composed of a number of disparate nations and the like that aren't going to translate ideas nearly as quickly.
Guthrie and his soon-to-be wife are going to use pet battles to determine who will do the dishes.

He'll also inevitably do something with underground chicken fighting. I already have a level 19 blue chicken for just that purpose.
Animal fighting has existed throughout time. To have someone look at all the little companions and pets heroes and citizens keep around and think: "Hey, they could fight!" doesn't seem far-fetched. Simply dismissing the idea of cockfights, whelp-fights, or anything else seems rather counterproductive to RP, and bringing in a fun mini game.
10/07/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Ferenold

Except there's no modern internet in Azeroth that automatically spreads fads around at such a quick speed. Azeroth is composed of a number of disparate nations and the like that aren't going to translate ideas nearly as quickly.

Well no, but fads were starting and ending well before the internet's time.
I'm going full on Ash Ketchum with Gwee. I don't care if it's canon or not; this is the closest to a Poke MMO we've ever had, and I intend to enjoy it.

Well no, but fads were starting and ending well before the internet's time.

Not nearly at the speed we see it here, and with utterly no explanation going on. I can't imagine most people are going to be able to afford a menagerie of exotic and powerful 'pets', to be honest. Maybe there would be chicken fighting in Westfall and the like, but it's not going to be anywhere like it's presented in-game. :P

10/07/2012 04:12 PMPosted by Regg
Animal fighting has existed throughout time. To have someone look at all the little companions and pets heroes and citizens keep around and think: "Hey, they could fight!" doesn't seem far-fetched. Simply dismissing the idea of cockfights, whelp-fights, or anything else seems rather counterproductive to RP, and bringing in a fun mini game.

I'm not simply dismissing the idea of it. I'm saying it's not nearly as pervasive or similar to how it's presented in-game.
10/07/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Ferenold
Not nearly at the speed we see it here, and with utterly no explanation going on. I can't imagine most people are going to be able to afford a menagerie of exotic and powerful 'pets', to be honest. Maybe there would be chicken fighting in Westfall and the like, but it's not going to be anywhere like it's presented in-game. :P

Just like in Pokemon, you're not starting out fighting with Mewtwo, Dragonite or Articuno. You start out catching Rattatas and Pidgeys. I'd imagine the lower rung of pet battling with see more snakes, chickens and the like.

We had some time between Deathwing's fall and Pandaria. Plenty of time for people to have caught on.
10/07/2012 04:18 PMPosted by Tadkins

Just like in Pokemon, you're not starting out fighting with Mewtwo, Dragonite or Articuno. You start out catching Rattatas and Pidgeys. I'd imagine the lower rung of pet battling with see more snakes, chickens and the like.

We had some time between Deathwing's fall and Pandaria. Plenty of time for people to have caught on.

So now there's some manner of a set of rules by which an individual 'advances' in pet battling? Maybe I'm just being closed-minded, but I really can't see how this can be conceived of as anything other then something silly and contrived.

I can't imagine the average citizen of Stormwind, that's likely struggling to stay alive via the economic depression that the alliance is likely facing, suddenly having the resources and free-time to recruit a menagerie of pets. Again, I accept underground !@#$-fights and the like, but what we see in-game doesn't really make sense.
10/07/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Ferenold
I'm not simply dismissing the idea of it. I'm saying it's not nearly as pervasive or similar to how it's presented in-game.

How is it presented differently in-game?

I can't imagine the average citizen of Stormwind, that's likely struggling to stay alive via the economic depression that the alliance is likely facing, suddenly having the resources and free-time to recruit a menagerie of pets. Again, I accept underground !@#$-fights and the like, but what we see in-game doesn't really make sense.

Aside from the economic depression being pure speculation, the players typically aren't 'average' Stormwind citizens. With that premise, a lot of things we do in RP don't make a lick of sense.
So now there's some manner of a set of rules by which an individual 'advances' in pet battling? Maybe I'm just being closed-minded, but I really can't see how this can be conceived of as anything other then something silly and contrived.

It's a shame. I see it as something new, fun, with more RP potential.

I do agree with you in that the average Stormwind citizen may or may not be participating. Spectating perhaps, or exploring it as a hobby, but I see it as more of a forming pasttime for heroes and other exceptional/wealthy individuals.
10/07/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Ferenold
Maybe I'm just being closed-minded, but I really can't see how this can be conceived of as anything other then something silly and contrived.

I don't see the point in calling a potential avenue for RP silly and contrived. If you don't like the idea, why do you even bother coming into this thread and trying to shoot down people's ideas for RP?
10/07/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Guthrie

In-game shows a hero constantly traveling around with a whole company of pets and crushing his opponents while perpetually collecting more pets. That's not why I'm describing.
10/07/2012 04:26 PMPosted by Argilla
Maybe I'm just being closed-minded, but I really can't see how this can be conceived of as anything other then something silly and contrived.

I don't see the point in calling a potential avenue for RP silly and contrived. If you don't like the idea, why do you even bother coming into this thread and trying to shoot down people's ideas for RP?

So, here's my intention for this thread. It is to be a discussion on whether or not they fit into the world as a Roleplay Element, and why or how or whatever.

Sorry that I'm discussing the thread's topic.

10/07/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Guthrie

Aside from the economic depression being pure speculation, the players typically aren't 'average' Stormwind citizens. With that premise, a lot of things we do in RP don't make a lick of sense.

They may or may not be. There are no laws governing if people can roleplay as heros/adventurers or citizens, or what players ought to RP as.

In-game shows a hero constantly traveling around with a whole company of pets and crushing his opponents while perpetually collecting more pets. That's not why I'm describing.

There's obviously a disparity between game mechanics and lore, except in a few sparse cases. That doesn't give you grounds to dismiss the entire premise in RP as silly.
Sorry that I'm discussing the thread's topic.

You've already stated your thoughts on the matter, and are shooting down ideas rather than suggesting any. It seems rather silly for you to continually post in a topic about a matter you dislike.

The game says I've killed many major lore characters as well, among other achievements and feats. People can roleplay it however they want, regardless.
You've already stated your thoughts on the matter, and are shooting down ideas rather than suggesting any. It seems rather silly for you to continually post in a topic about a matter you dislike.

...How so? I've stated my ideas and people argued them. I have no problem with people choosing to argue with me, and I argued back. I think it'd be best to keep up the debate as I think it's an interesting one, rather then dismiss me as someone 'shooting down ideas'. If you really didn't think my poitns belonged in this thread any longer, you wouldn't be saying things like...

The game says I've killed many major lore characters as well, among other achievements and feats. People can roleplay it however they want, regardless.

Which I fail to see how it's a refutation of my point, anyhow.

There's obviously a disparity between game mechanics and lore, except in a few sparse cases. That doesn't give you grounds to dismiss the entire premise in RP as silly.

Apologies if I'm being vague, but what I'm dismissing as silly is wholly taking the bet pattle system into roleplay.
10/07/2012 04:38 PMPosted by Ferenold

It's a widely accepted idea that there is a divide between the game mechanics and the lore/roleplay.
I think the whole medieval comparison should have stopped the moment that night elf pulled out a holocom. Trends will pick up very fast.

It's a widely accepted idea that there is a divide between the game mechanics and the lore/roleplay.

I agree. I don't really see how it pertains to my point, though.

I think the whole medieval comparison should have stopped the moment that night elf busted out a holocom.

I've never made any medieval comparisons in this thread.