I must be confused about what a percentage is

Pet Battles
I have strong traps, you know, the ones that increase the chance of capturing a pet by 25% for each time the trap has missed. So then, why has the last TWO pets I have tried capturing taken FIVE attempts to capture? I thought 4x25% = 100%? What's the base chance to capture anyways? I figured it was somewhere around 20-25%, but obviously if it;s taking four to 5 times, the majority of my captures, and no less than 3 EVER on a pet above level 19, then the base percentage is OBVIOUSLY below 0%, but....how does that work?

Also wondering, why does my frog kiss which has a 25% chance to transform the opponent into a frog, only actually transformed the other pet once in the last 32 times I have used the ability? I'm not quite understanding. I know RNG is RNG, however, I'm wondering if somebody could come up with the statistical possibility of something that has a 1 in 4 chance taking 32 attempts to get? I guess I could go do it, but I really don't feel like it, but I'm estimating it would be about a 1 in 1 million chance.

So this is what I'm thinking, are these "percentages" bugged? What's up? Or does somebody at blizzard not understand that 25% means one in four?
for the frog kiss each attack is 25%, so... first time you attack 1 in 4 chance, second time, still 1 in 4 chance, etc.

ive had fights against frogs where i got frogged 4 or 5 turns in a row. it happens.

side note: if you've been using the move on critter-type pets... their passive reduces CC effects (like the kiss) by 1 round.. meaning it never happens.

as for the traps... my guess is theres a base pencantage to capture (based off level, health, etc) and then the traps chance ot catch it increase by 25% of that chance each time.

so say its a 30% chance to catch the pet. your strong trap fails. next round when you throw it has a 37.5% chance (30/4=7.5, or 25% of the chance to capture), then 47% (ish) etc.

hope it helps :D
Not often, but sometimes I trap a pet on the first try with Strong Trap.

I think the trap starts over if the pet you are trying to capture heals and gets above the minimum to capture. Trapping pets that have some kind of heal can be a pain.
Not often, but sometimes I trap a pet on the first try with Strong Trap.

I think the trap starts over if the pet you are trying to capture heals and gets above the minimum to capture. Trapping pets that have some kind of heal can be a pain.

In these cases neither pet had any healing abilities whatsoever.

As far as the frog kiss goes, I'm well aware that EACH attack has a 25% chance for it to be successful. If it weren't then 1 in 32 would be impossible, as it would be a 100% chance at least after the fourth attempt. 25% chance means that each attack has a 1 in 4 chance of occurring. That means that every one of my 32 attempts had a 1 in 4 chance of being successful. What I am referring to is similar to this, flip a coin 17 times and get heads each and every one.

I had thought of the critter thing before even starting counting, these attempts I counted only were used on non critters. (however, critters CAN and DO get transformed, they just break out of it immediately) - but you can see the transformation.
The correct question to ask is: what were the levels of all three of your pets and what was the level of the pet you were trying to capture.
Equal and above. Maybe occasionally one level below (depending on which pet in my party I was using, one is the same level of mobs in the zone, another is one level higher, and another is one level lower. Will one level make that large of a difference?
The answer is that the increase is MULTIPLICATIVE, not ADDITIVE.

This is a HUGE difference.

As in, the difference between 25% -> 50% or 25% -> 31.25%.

Knowing Blizzard, it would go to 31.25%. ((These numbers assume a base 25% chance to capture.))
^ yeah, makes sense